• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RIP- Rick Craig of Selah Audio...

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
He died of a heart attack this weekend.

This is sad. Rick was one of the 3-4 people that were present at my first experience in hifi, about year 2000. I've told the story before a few times, but;
We met in Ft Wayne down on HWY 24, IIRC. Rick was in town from NC visiting his folks in FW, who still resided here at that time. JeffB, Rick, myself and another fellow I don't remember met at Applebee's. 4th guy left after lunch. Rick's folks eventually moved to Indy where we also met once more about 2005.
After lunch we went further into town to a HiFi shop which is now closed. I heard Jennifer Warnes played on B&W Nautilus 801, via a massive McIntosh tube amp. I was the inexperienced one here, and Jeff/Rick agreed that the treble was sssibilant, and that the bass was okay but didn't extend all that deeply for a 15" woofer. We all thought the mid was spectacular.

He was what I consider one of my mentors, and will be missed. He has touched many a soul through his speaker-designing business, and I've not heard of a disappointment with any of his products.

He really knew his stuff.

Wolf

OP
Wolf

Wolf

Our paths had intersected quite a few times over the years. MWAF, AXPONA (I think), and in passing on the forums.

He really was one of the more approachable designers.

dshreter

One of the good ones, this is so sad to hear. I didn’t know him personally, but professionally he was very kind and helpful. And I know his memory will also live on through his fine creations.

Sonny1

Very sad news. Rick was one of the good guys in the audio biz and an even better person. I’m shocked and deeply saddened for his family. Rick was a kind guy who was generous with us time. Can’t believe Jeff Bagby and Rick are gone. RIP

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One of the nicest guys in the DIY audio scene.

jkasch

Forum Donor
I met him at the AudioKarma audio show in '08. We talked for a while and I told him I wanted him to build my last pair of loudspeakers. After they were completed, he personally delivered them to my house and we spent some time listening to them. Definitely a good guy and a real gentleman. I still own and love the speakers he built for me. RIP, Rick.

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Way too soon. We had not spoke in a while, but had some long chats in recent years. Know he took Jeff's passing hard but had not said anything about his health.

May he rest in peace!

groovybassist

Forum Donor
Terrible news…Rick was a great guy and very generous with his time adjusting a pair of his speakers I had in the past. He lives about 30 minutes from me. My condolences to his family and friends.

nick-v

I owned a couple designs from Rick. He was always an absolute pleasure to deal with, very sad news. :(

Mudjock

Audio Company
This is very sad. I first met Rick at a DIY speaker event in Iowa about 17 years ago. We had a few conversations over the years - the last was around the time of the Selah Integrity Monitor and Modified HiVi DIY 3.1 reviews. Rick was a true gentleman, always willing to share his thoughts and insights.

Sonny1

This is very sad. I first met Rick at a DIY speaker event in Iowa about 17 years ago. We had a few conversations over the years - the last was around the time of the Selah Integrity Monitor and Modified HiVi DIY 3.1 reviews. Rick was a true gentleman, always willing to share his thoughts and insights.

Hey, I met Rick at the Iowa DIY event too! At the time I fancied myself as an aspiring amateur speaker designer. Until I heard speakers from guys like Rick, Dennis Murphy and Jeff Bagby. Adjusted my course and became a DIY speaker consumer of smarter guys’ designs. Rick was definitely smarter and much nicer than me. Always kind and patient with people new to the hobby. His passing is really sad because guys like Rick are so rare.

Top Bottom