• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RIP Neil Peart...

ajawamnet

...saw their first show in Pittsburgh. Neil had such an impact on that band - totally changed their direction. The story of Alex Lifeson playing Caress of Steel to Paul Stanley of KISS (Rush opened their tour) and him not getting it.

Then later, them holding the course, calling their tour with Ted Nugent the "Down the Tubes Tour" when they felt that the label was a bout to drop them (for not ever producing another Working Man)...

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/31881-down-the-tubes-tour/

and how the by now fan base stood by them with 2112... all by word of mouth. the individual's struggle against the man.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
RIP Neil - My first live concert was Rush at Wembley Arena, London in 1983 - My older brother took me and I couldn't hear properly for several days afterwards. Those were the days...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
RIP Neil - My first live concert was Rush at Wembley Arena, London in 1983 - My older brother took me and I couldn't hear properly for several days afterwards. Those were the days...
I saw RUSH in Vancouver. I was a RUSH fan before the concert and after I was a big RUSH fan.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I saw RUSH in Vancouver. I was a RUSH fan before the concert and after I was a big RUSH fan.

I spent a couple of weeks in Vancouver in 2001, I was ready to move there but my wife wasn't so keen after spending 5 weeks as a trainee nurse in ER there (she'd never seen a gunshot wound whilst training in London). I still miss the place (Vancouver, not ER :))

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, the gang warfare in Vancouver is rampant. Savages...

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, the gang warfare in Vancouver is rampant. Savages...

Yeah, I know, but I guess if work in ER you are going to see the worst of any place. I had the best day of my life watching pods of Orcas on a RIB of the coast of Seattle and then flying back from Victoria to Vancouver on a De Havilland Twin Otter float plane and landing in the harbour at sunset after a couple of circuits of the city.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I know, but I guess if work in ER you are going to see the worst of any place. I had the best day of my life watching pods of Orcas on a RIB of the coast of Seattle and then flying back from Victoria to Vancouver on a De Havilland Twin Otter float plane and landing in the harbour at sunset after a couple of circuits of the city.
I've had similar experiences. I took the twin otter from Vancouver to Victoria twice in one day rightttt after a 4 day Vegas trip to the Consumer Electronics Show. The fog made us turn around. People where worried and concerned and I thought it was a big adventure >@^_*@< Then I rented a boat and driver for the morning and went salmon fishing and got me a decent sized salmon. The only thing I miss about Vancouver is Stanley Park during a king tide... The wind is dead, the water at it's highest and the in-line skating fast with no wind.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
R.I.P Neil!

Stating the obvious:
One of the best drummer in all music ..
At least one the Top 5 in Rock.

Midwest Blade

RIP Neil, as a Canadian living in the US, whenever I needed a quick dose of home, Rush was able to provide a quick link. Whether a clip on YouTube, or a stream on the stereo, several albums in my vinyl and cd collection.

Jgm4661

RIP. He grew up in Port Dalhousie on Lake Ontario which is a pretty port town w lots of restaurants and bars, 14 miles away from where I grew up actually. I knew his high school from sports (he had graduated years earlier though) . We were listening to 2112 and Fly by Night in high school a lot in the 70s when they were released. They wrote a song called 'Lakeside Park' about a popular park in his town I know well and many people visit in the summers.

They were hugely popular in the area and were the fav band of many and he will be missed.

Newk Yuler

I lived and breathed RUSH in the Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, and Signals eras. One of my two all time favorite rock bands. They pretty much left me behind as Geddy decided to rely on synthesizers in the 1980s and I never warmed to him singing with himself in the later years. Truth is I've missed those guys for a very long time. RIP Neil. RIP RUSH.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What a pity! And much too young. One of the very best drummers has left us. RIP Neil Peart. :(

Fregly

This is from a wonderful discussion with Neil starting at around the 1 minute mark. Listening to him here I think, what a great, humble man he was.

Last edited:
Top Bottom