• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RIP - Jeff Bagby

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I learned today that Jeff Bagby has passed away, a victim of Covid-19.

For those who don’t know the name, Jeff Bagby was a prolific pro-am speaker designer who developed a number of software tools and measurement techniques to help people interested in building speakers model and measure their creations. One example is the nearfield splice/diffraction modeler @napilopez uses in the measurements he publishes here. Mr. Bagby’s work directly and indirectly pushed the state of the art forward.

RIP.

Last edited:

ta240

Major Contributor
That is such a sad loss. I've recently been looking at diy speakers and have read a lot from and about him and his designs. When I read the news about him it hit me like a friend had been lost. His contributions connected with a lot of people and will continue to do so.

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Terrible news... my condolences to his family. I used some of his tools some time ago when I was dabbling in DIY speaker design and really appreciated his making them available. Huge loss for the speaker building community.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's awful. If it weren't for his work, I might have never tried to venture as deeply into his hobby as I have.

His whitepaper on quasi-anechoic measurements made the process clear and simple enough for even someone without a technical background like me - clear enough that I was able to readily translate the process to REW. A great loss.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just seeing this - terrible loss. Damn.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Terrible loss. I read on DIYA he contracted the coronavirus, which caused complications due to underlying conditions.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, a real loss. Few people have contributed as much as him to the diy community. Countless commercial and diy designs, whitepapers, free software. I've had a number of conversations with him.

Jeff really set the bar for generousity and kindness in this hobby.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I have a pair of DIY Tango speakers, a Bagby design. They are great using Parts Express aluminum drivers. I love the tone.

A shout out.
Rest in PEACE Jeff Bagby.
I never met you but you helped me out a lot and my understanding is that you were a very kind man in person as well. That alone is epic. Kindness is the most important part. Travel well.

Top Bottom