• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RIP Chick Corea

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Apparently Chick Corea passed away from cancer a couple of days ago, just now made public. What a HUGE loss, at least IMO. - Don

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yes, he was such a prolific artist and spanned 3 generations of musicians.

I was lucky enough to see him 4 different times live over the years.

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
Great loss. Saw him twice, once '82 in Boston, the other about 10 years ago in San Francisco, both times with Return To Forever.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very big loss. I was fortunate to see him live in a small theater. He brought people on the stage to play and he would then join in with them. He brought a little girl who was prob 6 then he brings this guy on who was INSANE and even he was shocked. He let him play a lot longer than we all thought he would but you could tell he was having a blast doing so on the right side of the piano.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s too bad. I just read an article recently in one of the recent Stereophile issues.

I’ll have to revisit it.

TheWalkman

Ironically, I was listening to several Chick Corea, “CD’s” yesterday, unaware that he had died, thinking about how the recording qualities/ fidelity had really improved over the years. From Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy ‘73 to Romantic Warrior in ‘76, Electric Band in ‘86 (which I got when my then girlfriend gave me my first CD player and I was simply blown away at the sound quality.) I had actually been thinking about starting a thread on the topic of how and when dynamic range, frequency range, etc. of recordings had so improved with those as my examples for the discussion. Ironic.

I first saw Return to Forever as a high school kid in ‘76 on the Romantic Warrior Tour with Stanley Clarke and Al Dimeola with him. Simply spectacular. We had seventh row seats that I seem to remember my sister paid $3 for.

I’ve been a lover of jazz and fusion in particular ever since.

We have all lost a shining star.

makinao

I wrote him a letter once at the lowest point in my career, hoping for catharsis, but never expecting a reply. It was a pleasant surprise that he actually did write back with words of encouragement. I wrote again when things started improving, and he wrote back again with more encouragement. Thank you Chick. I will always hold your kind words and your music dear to my heart.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was playing the Seatbelts composed Cowboy Bebop on vinyl last night when i saw the news break and i immediately had to go put on his record to listen. RIP Chick

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Nice list to be on.
RIP

Capture+_2021-02-12-11-55-10_copy_600x909.png

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
During a one-year period in the early '70s I saw Weather Report, Mahavishnu Orchestra, and Return To Forever all for the first time. Blew my mind. Thanks for everything, Chick.

Top Bottom