• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RIP Bill Withers, 1938-2020

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I became familiar with Bill Withers music in the early 1970's when I worked swing-shift at Cutter Laboratories in Berkeley as a [human] Plasma Processing Technician while attending college/university classes during the day, and finally finishing up at age 36 with a BS from U.C Berkeley. My supervisor was a black woman, as was the department head and the majority of the production technicians. In the lunchroom, my black coworkers would sing Withers' most popular songs, and I enjoyed the music. My LP collection included Withers' music as part of my small collection of "Soul/R&B/Blues/Funk" "Lean on Me", "Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone", "Lovely Day" and "just the Two of Us" were his biggest hits.

Bill Withers was a coal-miner's son from West Virginia with a stutter that he did not get over until his 9 years in the U.S. Navy. He didn't get into singing until he was an adult. It isn't "great" music, but Withers' contribution to pop/soul music was something I enjoyed in the 1970s enough to buy a couple of his albums.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I became familiar with Bill Withers music in the early 1970's when I worked swing-shift at Cutter Laboratories in Berkeley as a [human] Plasma Processing Technician while attending college/university classes during the day, and finally finishing up at age 36 with a BS from U.C Berkeley. My supervisor was a black woman, as was the department head and the majority of the production technicians. In the lunchroom, my black coworkers would sing Withers' most popular songs, and I enjoyed the music. My LP collection included Withers' music as part of my small collection of "Soul/R&B/Blues/Funk" "Lean on Me", "Ain't No Sunshine When She's Gone", "Lovely Day" and "just the Two of Us" were his biggest hits.

Bill Withers was a coal-miner's son from West Virginia with a stutter that he did not get over until his 9 years in the U.S. Navy. He didn't get into singing until he was an adult. It isn't "great" music, but Withers' contribution to pop/soul music was something I enjoyed in the 1970s enough to buy a couple of his albums.

Man had soul.

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom