• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ridiculousness of Pink Floyd’s upcoming DSOTM Box set

sofrep811

It’s a loose count but I think what you get for $300 is 12+ versions of Dark Side and another multiple of the Wembley show. WTH!?! Would I like it? Sure but I’m not paying for all those versions of an album I already own on vinyl and SACD. Im sure it will sell out. Please tell me I’m dumb for thinking this box set is stupid. No outtakes?

Attachments

• F1382F67-7DCC-4966-8144-60CDCD2B5C6C.png
    F1382F67-7DCC-4966-8144-60CDCD2B5C6C.png
    566.7 KB · Views: 85
  • F5288E8F-D371-4F69-9200-679224CD995D.png
    F5288E8F-D371-4F69-9200-679224CD995D.png
    511.9 KB · Views: 83
  • 7325FEF5-8A52-4162-9197-0B5B1F8EF549.png
    7325FEF5-8A52-4162-9197-0B5B1F8EF549.png
    407.3 KB · Views: 90

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Saw the concert twice, bought the 25th anniversary CD and listened twice. No thanks, Animal’s is a better album.

levimax

Major Contributor
This is not for you and not for me but some people like this kind of stuff. If you went out to try to buy all these discs and LP's used it would probably cost you more plus you get all the books.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is not for you and not for me but some people like this kind of stuff. If you went out to try to buy all these discs and LP's used it would probably cost you more plus you get all the books.
I guess, if it was at all important 50 years later. Gilmour has down much better work in the past 20 years.

charleski

Major Contributor
Saw the concert twice, bought the 25th anniversary CD and listened twice. No thanks, Animal’s is a better album.
And after a while, you can work on points for style
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile
You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in
Maybe they can rework the lyrics to include something about getting people to buy the same stuff over and over again …

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I saw one of the reviews, and only then realized they didn't even include the Alan Parsons quadrophonic mix. How could they leave that out?

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
If any of this has value to you then sure:

• 50 YEARS

• Deluxe Box includes: A CD+LP of remastered original album ACD LP of The Dark Side Of The Moon

• Live At Wembley, 1974

• A Blu-ray of original album 5.1 and high-resolution remastered

• stereo mixes

• A Blu-ray of Atmos and high-resolution

• remastered stereo mixes A DVD of 5.1 and remastered

• stereo mixes

• ▲ 160-page hardback photo book A Music book of original album A Replicas of 2x7" singles

• A Memorabilia

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I love them and talso his album, but nope. The Floyd, like everyone else, is milking the back catalogue for everything it's worth, counting on "completists" to buy and buy and buy. (I did break down and get the new Animals CD, unnecessary, but I liked the new cover art at least. I managed to not buy the new Revolver, at least.)

"Inside Out" by Nick Mason is a lovely and thoughtful recapitulation of their work...I highly recommend it.

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I’m tired of pink floyd. They’ll have to pay me listening to this.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I own the original LP I bought when I was a teenager, the original CD release, the original SACD release, the MFSL half-speed mastered LP, and the MFSL UHQR LP. I also have 14 digital versions: 2 DSD (one a SACD rip and the other from a 15ips tape), and 12 FLAC ranging from 16/44.1 to 24/192 (1992 remaster, 2011 experience edition, 4 from the Immersion box set, an original CD rip, the Alan Parsons DVD-Audio rip, a UHQR vinyl rip, a 15ips tape rip, one supposedly mastered from the original tapes, and finally the Alan Parson quadraphonic mix).

I don't plan on buying yet another...

Martin

Last edited:

Multicore

Major Contributor
I’m tired of pink floyd. They’ll have to pay me listening to this.
Dark Side is worse than a regular bore, because of things like this it just won't go away and leave us alone. But I'm not tired of Floyd. I was actially listening to Grantchester Meadows when I saw this topic. Should I be embarrassed to admit it?

Open Mind Audio

It's too bad because many of us would pay a small premium to get just the atmos mix, or just the booklet, but not a king's ransom for the whole thing. Count me out.

I'd rather have a walk-on part in the war against their pricing than a lead role in a cage of extra cuts I'll never listen to.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i'm ok with this kind of thing

there's always going to be a market for this kind of material... among tragics

also i feel like if the copyright owners think they can milk more from this 50yr old cow then more power to them

maybe nick mason wants to buy the latest Ferrari?

Multicore

Major Contributor
I'm not sure ridiculous is the word for it. It's somebody's idea for how to make a bit more bread from an old recording. Like the routine re-re-re-masterings of Solti's Ring, which is only slightly older.

The Merzbox, now that's what I call ridiculous. I remember being at RRRecords back then and Ron got it out to show it to us and we all had a good laugh.

And Dark Side isn't even 10% as boring as The Beatles: Get Back. That's not just boring, it's depressing: hour after hour of an almost completely worn out and used up band surrounded by grotesque businessmen trying to squeeze something more out of them.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
this is as sad as Bohemian Rhapsody 2018... but it comes down to the fact that many copyright holders dont have that many years to go until they cant reliabily milk their audience... because their audience will all be six feet under soon!

Top Bottom