• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Riddle me this...wiring changing the sound

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First off I'm assuming that there is an impedance or voltage reason for this.

I have a Topping D30 Pro which I'm using in the pre-amp mode I had it connected to my amp stack input, then each each amp is wired out to input. On the last amp out I had it going to my svs sub.

On a whim I decided to change things up. In now going from the Topping to the sub input, sub output to the amp stack which is wired the same.

Surprisingly there is a sound difference. The gain from the sub seems higher and as I increase the volume it seems to be better balanced.

mansr

Major Contributor
Do you have multiple amps in series? Why? Where are the speakers connected in all this?

The change in sound is probably due to the sub output being high-passed.

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. Each amp has an active crossover low, middle, hi to drive the corresponding speakers. The inputs and outputs are not filtered.

mansr

Major Contributor
So the amps have a line-level pass-through in addition to the (filtered) amplified output? That was anything but clear from your initial post. Not that it changes my guess as to the cause of the difference in sound.

OP
NiagaraPete

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I could have been clearer howver the sub does not have a high pass filter it is line level as well.

Top Bottom