• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Rich Guys and Reviewers Running Amok in Hi-Fi"

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1890s: "made in Germany" is seen as cheap stuff, possibly copied from English manufacturers
1950s: "made in Japan" is seen as cheap, mass produced garbage, often badly copied from western products
Thank You.
l

aslan7

1890s: "made in Germany" is seen as cheap stuff, possibly copied from English manufacturers
1950s: "made in Japan" is seen as cheap, mass produced garbage, often badly copied from western products
Now with vintage audio like Pioneer and such people see made in Japan as a huge plus. My local vintage dealer raves about the craftsmanship of vintage Japanese receivers.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I greatly respect the technical expertise and business savvy of Chi-fi companies like Topping, Gustard et al. But they appear by and large to have studied customer service from cable TV and cell phone companies.

Except perhaps for Topping, I see myself as being about as likely to spend more than $300 or so on Chi-fi as to go to Jiffy Lube for an appendectomy.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you look at traditional Chinese crafts like calligraphy and pottery they are amazing. I worked for a Chinese company for a couple of years and learned much about the way they do business. They have a completely different way of looking at things than we do. Their perspective and many different customs leads to racially different business ethics. It is really something to do business with them on a daily basis. If I had to sum it all up I would say that winning, being successful, and amassing wealth are prized above everything. They have an immense work ethic and dedication. I don't think most Westerners understand that the Chinese are capable of making superbly crafted products when called upon to do so. It is wrong to think they make only cheap shoddy products, and they take considerable pride in their better efforts. They also have great appreciation of high quality products from the West. If the West can't measure up to them we will all be buying Chinese audio equipment soon enough. Incidentally, here in the West we appropriated many Chinese innovations in pottery, namely in 17th century Germany. Now is is just roles reversed.

ah....um...

and BTW, here in the West we appropriated many Chinese innovations in warfare, weapons, philosophy, metallurgy, and on and on

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Now with vintage audio like Pioneer and such people see made in Japan as a huge plus. My local vintage dealer raves about the craftsmanship of vintage Japanese receivers.

Guitars made in Japan are also highly valued.

Destination: Moon

Actually they really do measure the accuracy of elite movements but the whole chronometer thing is meaningless. But you are right that Casios and Timex models outperform mechanical watches, even good ones. This is especially so with chronographs. But the craftsmanship is amazing and we see such handmade products very rarely now.

What people seem to be missing is the watch thing - and MAYBE the Crazy Rich Audio (could be a spin off movie?) thing are jewelry. Its supposed to appeal to the emotions - not the analytical side of life.....

It'd be a lot easier to stomach if a gazillion people weren't homeless and / or starving whle someone is plunking down 80 grand for a watch or 500 million for a boat

Destination: Moon

If you look at traditional Chinese crafts like calligraphy and pottery they are amazing. I worked for a Chinese company for a couple of years and learned much about the way they do business. They have a completely different way of looking at things than we do. Their perspective and many different customs leads to racially different business ethics. It is really something to do business with them on a daily basis. If I had to sum it all up I would say that winning, being successful, and amassing wealth are prized above everything. They have an immense work ethic and dedication. I don't think most Westerners understand that the Chinese are capable of making superbly crafted products when called upon to do so. It is wrong to think they make only cheap shoddy products, and they take considerable pride in their better efforts. They also have great appreciation of high quality products from the West. If the West can't measure up to them we will all be buying Chinese audio equipment soon enough. Incidentally, here in the West we appropriated many Chinese innovations in pottery, namely in 17th century Germany. Now is is just roles reversed.

I didnt work as closely as you but I did trade with them. I got to know some but not well. They were guarded in their approach to business. One thing needed to understand in dealing with them is the concept of Face. That was important in how we interacted. Its important in the west to but to a lesser degree I think.

As for inventions, dont forget - Noodles!

aslan7

What people seem to be missing is the watch thing - and MAYBE the Crazy Rich Audio (could be a spin off movie?) thing are jewelry. Its supposed to appeal to the emotions - not the analytical side of life.....

It'd be a lot easier to stomach if a gazillion people weren't homeless and / or starving whle someone is plunking down 80 grand for a watch or 500 million for a boat
People collect watches like anything else. How the wealthy spend their money is their prerogative. I knew a fellow who collected duck decoys.

Goodman

Nothing wrong with high price gear reviewing, I bought a low mid priced Dac because of reviews REM (€1000). What they don't tell you is whether the new €10,000 plus Dac they just reviewd, will make very slight difference in a system if any, so why review it?

Ken1951

People collect watches like anything else. How the wealthy spend their money is their prerogative. I knew a fellow who collected duck decoys.
As a birder - Yeah for duck decoys! Not the hunting use mind you, just the art and representation of the birds. I'd totally collect those.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know of some people who collected ecosystems.

MarkS

Major Contributor
I know of some people who collected ecosystems.
This one is $75 at amazon:

61lmYbP9BEL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

escksu

And to many "rich guy" audiophiles, their audio equipment also serves as a status emblem. Beautiful speaker cabinets have their own aesthetic appreciation, just like watches.

Yes, this I fully agree. Hifi is one of the rich folk's "toys", just like sports cars. For ladies, things like luxury bags, clothing etc....

For such market segment, brand and looks matters even more than performance.

JP

Major Contributor
Was it actually olive green or that wierd bronze/orange colour that faded really badly in direct sunlight?

This was their statement amplifier and preamplifier. Hand built to order. Links below.

View attachment 139654

This gives you an idea of how big the amplifier actually was:
View attachment 139655

https://audio-database.com/TechnicsPanasonic/amp/se-a1-e.html

https://audio-database.com/TechnicsPanasonic/amp/su-a2-e.html

I played with an SL-P50P prototype for a bit. That was something.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I payed with an SL-P50P prototype for a bit. That was something.

I remember our local Technics dealer had a floor stack (about 8) of them a few years later, when they had been discontinued for the new SL-P1200.

I could have bought a sealed one in a box for $1100. It even had a little speaker and volume control for monitoring. I decided at the time the lack of a pitch control was a deal breaker when the SL-P1200 had one. Should have bought the whole stack of them! It took him a long time to sell them through- they were in his window in pairs for it seemed so long I was worried the panels would fade from the morning sunlight.

You've probably got these period brochures too, being a Technics aficionado.
IMG_0009 (Medium).jpeg

IMG_0012 (Medium).jpeg

IMG_0013 (Medium).jpeg

Last edited:

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
I greatly respect the technical expertise and business savvy of Chi-fi companies like Topping, Gustard et al. But they appear by and large to have studied customer service from cable TV and cell phone companies.

Except perhaps for Topping, I see myself as being about as likely to spend more than $300 or so on Chi-fi as to go to Jiffy Lube for an appendectomy.
I agree with a much earlier post from @amirm , that we should probably retire the 'chi-fi' usage due to it's negative connotation, which is undeserved today.

Similar to 'jap junk,' widely used stateside in the 1950's and 60's.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree with a much earlier post from @amirm , that we should probably retire the 'chi-fi' usage due to it's negative connotation, which is undeserved today.

Similar to 'jap junk,' widely used stateside in the 1950's and 60's.
It seemed a convenient shorthand, and I certainly intended no deprecation in using it. But I'll accede to the wishes of AmirM.

Top Bottom