• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

REW with Wiim?

MKR

Major Contributor
Is there anyway to use REW with Wiim? Trying to figure out how to incorporate room EQ solution with Wiim and just can’t wrap my brain around how it could be done, but maybe I am over complicating

Thanks

ppataki

Major Contributor
Is there anyway to use REW with Wiim? Trying to figure out how to incorporate room EQ solution with Wiim and just can’t wrap my brain around how it could be done, but maybe I am over complicating

Thanks
Are you using Wiim Pro? If it has a Parametric EQ (PEQ) then you can just enter the REW-generated EQ filters there

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Are you using Wiim Pro? If it has a Parametric EQ (PEQ) then you can just enter the REW-generated EQ filters there
Thanks … yes, Pro. And it has EQ, but only used with analog output on the Wiim, which is garbage. I am using it as a digital transport only to an external DAC. So that won’t work.

ppataki

Major Contributor
It doesn't, at least not yet. It's on the roadmap.
Well, in that case I guess this is not going to be possible

If you want to use REW-generated filters in any device you will need either PEQ capability (ideally per channel) or convolution capability (so you could load the convolution wav file generated in REW into the convolution engine of the device).
But apparently neither exists in Wiim Pro (yet)

Reactions: MKR

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
#1 WiiM's internal DAC (analogue output) ... wait for PEQ to be implemented...
#2 WiiM as a transport... you'll need a DAC (or other downstream device) that accepts REW's filters. I use the miniDSP Flex.
No simple/cheap option I think.

#3 Discard the WiiM and stream from PC or Raspberry Pi or equivalent.

Reactions: MKR

JLGF1

And it has EQ, but only used with analog output on the Wiim

Don't know about the Pro version, but the onboard GEQ works fine with optical-out on the Mini.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Don't know about the Pro version, but the onboard GEQ works fine with optical-out on the Mini.
Thanks but … Maybe it does but I don’t want to use the onboard EQ, I want to use REW. There is obviously no way to use REW with Wiim, at least not today. Likely going to return the Wiim, not a fan of the UI anyway, very quirky … Wiim has some work to do here

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
#1 WiiM's internal DAC (analogue output) ... wait for PEQ to be implemented...
#2 WiiM as a transport... you'll need a DAC (or other downstream device) that accepts REW's filters. I use the miniDSP Flex.
No simple/cheap option I think.

#3 Discard the WiiM and stream from PC or Raspberry Pi or equivalent.
Thank you, you are indeed correct sir, great feedback. But bummer Wiim cannot use REW, major miss for Wiim. Looks like the Wiim is going back, not a fan of the UI anyway. The miniDSP with Dirac is looking very nice, but its pricey :(

JLGF1

The miniDSP with Dirac is looking very nice, but its pricey

If you want the above functionality with a WiiM price, well, good luck with that..

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
If you want the above functionality with a WiiM price, well, good luck with that..
I know, it ain’t gonna happen, ya get what ya pay for … I wrongly assumed I could integrate some type of room EQ with the Wiim, it is simply not possible. Disappointing, but to be fair to Wiim, only so much they can do at that price point.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Best would really be just to use a PC as the source - then you will have endless DSP capabilities....
I have a MacBook, same comment? And how? Via REW? But then what to do for a wireless connection? I want to have room EQ plus network streamer that I can control via WiFi. How to do this exactly? Sorry if very broad questions.

If I can figure out a way to play music wireless (with no sound degrading connections like Bluetooth), then no issue at all to use MacBook for the source and EQ. It’s the wireless control that has be stumped. Maybe I just need a WiFi DAC That will connect to the MacBook?

Last edited:

ppataki

Major Contributor
I have a MacBook, same comment? And how? Via REW? But then what to do for a wireless connection? I want to have room EQ plus network streamer that I can control via WiFi. How to do this exactly? Sorry if very broad questions.

On the MacBook you can generate your per channel correction filters with REW and then use for example Jriver as a player and DSP. You could use its convolution engine to do room correction (load the REW generated wav convolution file to Jriver's Convolver or you could even use 3rd party VST convolvers such as Convology XT)

I guess on a Mac you could also use Roon but others can comment on its DSP capabilities (I am only familiar with Jriver)

Regarding wireless and streaming please refer to Jriver and Roon manuals but I am quite sure that will be possible too

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Maybe just need to purchase an Aurender and be done with it ;)

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thanks but … Maybe it does but I don’t want to use the onboard EQ, I want to use REW.
You use REW to measure your speakers and generate EQ settings based on those measurements.
You then use other software or hardware solutions (WiiM/RME ADI-2/ Qudelix 5K/miniDSP/SoundSource/Equalizer APO/...) to apply those EQ settings to your music.
REW is not the software that you use to EQ your music.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
You use REW to measure your speakers and generate EQ settings based on those measurements.
You then use other software or hardware solutions (WiiM/RME ADI-2/ Qudelix 5K/miniDSP/SoundSource/Equalizer APO/...) to apply those EQ settings to your music.
REW is not the software that you use to EQ your music.
Yes, understood … I don’t want to EQ the music, only I am interested in applying room EQ and trying to find a device that allows the use of the room EQ AND ability to control the music via wireless connection (and not Bluetooth or Airplay as that is not best quality). Wiim does what I want in that regard, but sadly does not allow application of REW EQ. MiniDSP does it, but then it has Dirac which defeats purpose of REW to begin with.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Top Bottom