• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

REW Room1 vs Room2 Review Help

Pops106

Hello All,

Wondering if you could help me review some of the results from REW, just concentrating on the centre speakers for each room.

Measured with the same laptop and a iMM-6 Calibrated Mic with a cal file added in REW.

Room1 - More sofa's pictures etc in the room and with some very cheap room treatment
  • Speaker - Ruark Dialogue One, standard 2-Way MTM
  • Sub - DIY single sub with 2 x 12in with old amps out of some Jamo subs and Behringer DSP1124P
Room2 - Not much in the room at all and no treatment
  • Speaker - Monitor Audio C150, 2.5-Way MTM
  • Sub - Cant remember (might be BK XXLS400) but it is a 12in peerless XLS with minidsp

Room1 - SPL
Room1-SPL.jpg

Room2 - SPL
Room2-SPL.jpg

Room1 - Impulse
Room1-Impluse.jpg

Room2 - Impulse
Room2-Impluse.jpg

Room1 - RT60 Decay
Room1-RT60Decay.jpg

Room2 - RT60 Decay
Room2-RT60Decay.jpg

Room1 - Waterfall
Room1-Waterfall.jpg

Room2 - Waterfall
Room2-Waterfall.jpg

From what I can tell;

SPL - Room1 and Room2 are pretty similar in flatness, some issues in both but the SUBs have tied in quite nicely with Room1 been a bit hot but matches more of a room curve.
Impulse - Both have a very early reflection but Room1 is better, less and smaller spikes.
Decay - Room1 much better with a much better RT60 model.
Waterfall - I have had to extend out to 2000ms time range as Room2 just extends massively.

When you run the sweep in REW in Room 2 you hear the room light up, about halfway through the sweep it sounds almost like someone bangs a tuning fork and rings, never heard anything like that before.

So my questions really are, how do things look and is my takeaway roughly correct ?

Cheers

Attachments

• Room2-SPL.jpg
    Room2-SPL.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 49

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Your observations seem OK - you would expect lower decay times in a room with 'stuff' in then a bare room - but I'm not sure what the point of this is. If you are comparing the two rooms you should measure them using the same equipment (speaker, sub) and in the same equivalent positions, and condition (empty, with room treatment etc.). Not only that but you don't mention the room sizes has a bearing on performance.

Tell us what you are trying to do please then I'm sure the experts on here can help you.

OP
P

Pops106

Your observations seem OK - you would expect lower decay times in a room with 'stuff' in then a bare room - but I'm not sure what the point of this is. If you are comparing the two rooms you should measure them using the same equipment (speaker, sub) and in the same equivalent positions, and condition (empty, with room treatment etc.). Not only that but you don't mention the room sizes has a bearing on performance.

Tell us what you are trying to do please then I'm sure the experts on here can help you.

It was really just making sure I am on the right track with REW, doing the dsp to flatten out if the FR etc is nice and easy but there is so much to learn.

Room1 is my house and Room2 is my brothers who has just moved so we was setting him back up again, took the opportunity to compare the two and see if what I heard matches up with what REW is telling me.

Rooms are similar sized but different shapes.

Appreciate the reply, cheers.

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
With REW, what I did was set up the speakers and listening position carefully, place the mic where my right ear would be, pointing to the right speaker. I'd them measure but I'd concentrate initially on the 0-500Hz range only. My efforts would be to flatten the bass response. Positioning (including sub in your case), room treatment and finally DSP/EQ would be used to do this, measuring each change.

When looking at the results I mostly used the SPL readings. I'd arrange the graph for 0-500Hz, no smoothing, and set it up vertically so all the peaks and dips were visible but to the maximum.

F3.jpg

This example was with no treatment (green) and then adding a bass trap in each front corner (purple).

Whilst I use the waterfall images I prefer the Spectogram.

S2.jpg

S3.jpg

These are good at showing decay times. You can see that adding two bass traps reduces the decay times a bit. The reason there is a band at 40Hz (and probably 80 too) is traffic noise. I live on a busy High Street.

Top Bottom