• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

REW, REW+FabFilter EQ, Dirac or Other??

Martini

Forum Donor
Okay, I've started experimenting with room correction. I'm using a Mac Mini with Audirvana and also have SoundSource to host system wide. It's just 2-channel, no subs. I've tried REW and my main issue with it is altering the target curve is a pain, but even worse is trying different EQ renderings. Manually typing 48 data points into Apple Audio Units is a no fun. If it was a once and done thing that would be okay, but we know that's not the case. I demoed FabFilter Pro-Q3 and think it could be wonderful sounding, but I'm an idiot savant (if that) and couldn't get a grasp of it before the demo expired. Now I'm demoing the Dirac Standalone beta for Mac. I love the way it let's me play with the Target curve, but it/I seem to have problem with female vocals. One track I've been focusing on is Stormy from Dave's True Story - Sex Without Bodies. Kelly's voice has been a problem for me; on my MartinLogan's her voice was would make me tired of listening by the end of the album. On my new Revel's I don't have that problem, but her voice sounds a little canned, like she's singing in a bathroom. Maybe that is just Chesky's mic & mastering the Revel's are more revealing. Anyway, Dirac makes it worse. Plus, I don't think this beta versions is ready for prime-time and plopping down $$ for it. I've had a few tics & pops that are disconcerting. So, not sure where to go from here? Try a different software, buy FabFilter and learn how to use it...? Any suggestions?

imb

Hi, within REW you could try exporting the filters impulse response as WAV and then use with a convolution reverb such as LAConvolver. I have used this approach within SoundSource for system wide EQ and it seems to give the expected effect.

Open to additional suggestions as I am just starting to experiment in this area as well.

Top Bottom