• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

REW & RePhase same EQ settings producing different curves

JohnPM

Technical Expert
The REW response is a result of IIR filters whose responses get close to the half sample rate limit, things will always get difficult as the limit is approached. If you generated your preferred filter as an FIR type (which it would be for linear phase) at the sample rate you use for replay then it should be fine.

I have changed the way REW produces those responses, since strictly it should just have a truncated response at 22.05k as the rePhase equaliser is configured with a 96k sample rate. There isn't a completely satisfactory way to deal with it, since the equalisers are usually running at a fixed sample rate so content may be resampled before EQ, but preserving the equaliser response is probably better.

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you very much for investigating this.

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@JohnPM
I see that you changed that in the beta 21, thank you!
I will test it tonight.

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi @JohnPM ,
I just installed last REW version. I have a question about the "From file" measurement option that was already in previous versions though: how can you load a convolved sweep?
I generated a sweep and converted it in Foobar with the convolver plug-in. Yet REW doesn't want to use it (see picture).

In Audacity, the .WAV looks like the oldest original one but not as loud and beginning slightly after the original one.

Attachments

• REW1.png
    REW1.png
    111.3 KB · Views: 108

JohnPM

Technical Expert
Hi @JohnPMI have a question about the "From file" measurement option that was already in previous versions though: how can you load a convolved sweep?
You can't, sorry. The first 18 samples of the sweep file contain data about the sweep which REW needs to process it, if those are modified or missing the file won't be accepted. If they are present REW uses them to reconstruct the corresponding sweep data, it doesn't rely on the file data because it may have lower precision (depending on the sample format).

Last edited:
OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks you. I guess I'll have to use EqualizerAPO to convolve the impulse then.

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks you. I guess I'll have to use EqualizerAPO to convolve the impulse then.
@JohnPM
By the way, I'm just having the new REW beta freezing and getting stuck here. (See picture.)
I'll try and reboot, cause shutting off REW and starting again got me there 5 times in a row.

EDIT: Reboot didn't help. Re-installking didn't help. I can't measure a sweep anymore!!

Attachments

• REW2.png
    REW2.png
    144.2 KB · Views: 97

JohnPM

Technical Expert
Please check the log files to see if any error information has been captured, their location is shown in the About REW dialog.

OP
daftcombo

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't access it, REW freezes and I have to turn it off each time I try a measurement.
I put back beta 10, it works fine.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
@JohnPM when I try to take a REW filter and put it in Rephase it loads, but no matter what output format I use, JRiver says it is invalid. Any advice?

JohnPM

Technical Expert
I can't access it, REW freezes and I have to turn it off each time I try a measurement.
I put back beta 10, it works fine.
Please check the log files, they are kept for the last 10 startups. It will be difficult to understand what is happening without any information about what might have gone wrong.

JohnPM

Technical Expert
@JohnPM when I try to take a REW filter and put it in Rephase it loads, but no matter what output format I use, JRiver says it is invalid. Any advice?
I think in JRiver you can enter REW's Generic equaliser filter values in the parametric EQ manually (https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Parametric_Equalizer) or you could export the filter impulse response as WAV and use JRiver's convolution engine. I don't think JRiver has a way of importing filter settings from REW, but I'm not a JRiver user.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
I think in JRiver you can enter REW's Generic equaliser filter values in the parametric EQ manually (https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Parametric_Equalizer) or you could export the filter impulse response as WAV and use JRiver's convolution engine. I don't think JRiver has a way of importing filter settings from REW, but I'm not a JRiver user.

I enter REW settings into the parametric EQ manually. It works, but I wondered if there was a better way. Before I had a UMIC-1 and REW it was impossible to integrate my sub. Now the sub is integrated and I have EQ'ed the mains.

Top Bottom