• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

REW not seeing RME USB interface??

Sokel

Master Contributor
I presume you done all that:

1680005789195.png

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Just downloaded and installed Audacity as you suggested and it shows exactly the same as REW with no digital inputs available only analogue.
I cannot control the sound output through the RME at all. It just isn't seeing the USB side?
The RME is set to USB mode or I wouldn't hear anything through the speakers.

I'll double check the RME though
REW expects to use a microphone input to generate calibration data, what are you going to use for the microphone ?

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is how you open Totalmix.

View attachment 275455

On the bottom right of Windows, hover on the action bar. Click on the icon that says "Restore/Minimize all TotalMix FX Windows". TotalMix is RME's Mixer software. It is very powerful, but rather unintuitive if you have never used a mixer before.

I don't have an RME ADI-2 Pro. I have an RME Fireface UC, which is why I have so many analog outputs and inputs. Check that TotalMix can see all the correct inputs and outputs of your ADI2 Pro. If TotalMix can't see it, then that would explain why REW can't see it either.
Ok, I'll try this mate. Never used it before but we'll see what we get..........

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
REW expects to use a microphone input to generate calibration data, what are you going to use for the microphone ?
I'm using a Umik 1 and have set the correct 90 degree calibration file.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Ok so I have figured something out at least through having a play around.

In the RME, there is a setting called Digital Out Source. When I set that to "default", SPL level is massively increased but I cannot control the volume.
However, if I set it to "main out", volume reduces to a huge extend and I can adjust the volume.

I am clearly out of my depth here I think. :(

JayGilb

Major Contributor
REW settings:
  1. Select ASIO
  2. Select ASIOMadiface USB
  3. Select Output - Analog 1
  4. Select Secondary Output
  5. Select - Analog 2
  6. Connect Umik 1 to computer
  7. Select Umik as input device.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
REW settings:
  1. Select ASIO
  2. Select ASIOMadiface USB
  3. Select Output - Analog 1
  4. Select Secondary Output
  5. Select - Analog 2
  6. Connect Umik 1 to computer
  7. Select Umik as input device.
I have done as you suggested but using ASIO doesn't allow me to select the Umik1 as an input device, it only allows me to select one of two analogue outputs from the RME?
REW has automatically picked up the Umik1 and I've checked the cal file is still active which it is.

What a total waste of a day this has been!!

Trell

Major Contributor
I don't have an RME ADI-2 Pro. I have an RME Fireface UC, which is why I have so many analog outputs and inputs. Check that TotalMix can see all the correct inputs and outputs of your ADI2 Pro. If TotalMix can't see it, then that would explain why REW can't see it either.
The ADI-2 does not have support for TotalMix.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
It's ok, I have 2 subwoofers to calibrate yet!! :D

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
It's ok guys. I really do appreciate the input from all of you but I am starting to get somewhere now.
I don't want you lot to waste any more of your valuable time on this topic really. I'm sure you've much better things to do!!! (Like I do)!!

I will post back with only critical issues regarding this topic but other than that, I'll sign off (for now). :)

staticV3

Master Contributor
I have done as you suggested but using ASIO doesn't allow me to select the Umik1 as an input device, it only allows me to select one of two analogue outputs from the RME?
REW doesn't currently support two separate ASIO devices.
I recommend you use either Java EXCL, which is REW's name for Wasapi Exclusive, or if for some reason that doesn't work, you could try FlexASIO with the driver type set to WMD-KS in the FlexASIO GUI.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
I recommend you use either Java EXCL, which is REW's name for Wasapi Exclusive, or if for some reason that doesn't work, you could try FlexASIO with the driver type set to WMD-KS in the FlexASIO GUI.
Thanks bud. I failed to prepare with today's exercise and paid the price.
I am not really happy with the outcome and have run out of time to do any more testing so I've just left things as they are.

The funny thing is, I used to use a minidsp SHD not so long ago and everything was so much easier with that as you had direct control over every output and input from the levels down to PEQ etc. I upgraded to an RME ADI2 pro (after being a previous RME ADI2 DAC owner) and love the clarity and detail the RME brings with it....all except the sheer ease of use of the minidsp. It's a trade-off I'll have to learn to get used to as, as much as the minidsp was easier to use, it wasn't a patch on the RME pro.

I'll prepare a LOT more next time!!!! :D

JohnPM

Technical Expert
Well strictly speaking it is ASIO that doesn't support separate devices, which is one of the reasons ASIO wrappers like FlexASIO exist, to make separate devices appear to be a single ASIO device.

To access more than analog 1/2 on the ADI-2 Pro you need to change the CC-mode from stereo to multichannel, that setting can only be changed with the USB disconnected.

Enstip

Hi guys. Hope this isn’t too much of a thread hijack.

I’m trying to do similar, using REW on windows 10, with UMIK-1 and RME ADI-2 DAC FS.

With ASIO settings I get the same as OP. If I understand the replies above correctly, this will only work if sound card and mic are the same device since ASIO can’t work with 2 devices. (May have completely got this wrong).

With JAVA settings it works except I nearly always get breakup during the measure sweep. By that I mean there is a crackle or 2 at some point during the sweep.

Any ideas what is causing this? Sample rate is 44.1, buffer set to max. Sweep runs from 40 Hz to 10KHz. SPL c80dBA

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi guys. Hope this isn’t too much of a thread hijack.

I’m trying to do similar, using REW on windows 10, with UMIK-1 and RME ADI-2 DAC FS.

With ASIO settings I get the same as OP. If I understand the replies above correctly, this will only work if sound card and mic are the same device since ASIO can’t work with 2 devices. (May have completely got this wrong).

With JAVA settings it works except I nearly always get breakup during the measure sweep. By that I mean there is a crackle or 2 at some point during the sweep.

Any ideas what is causing this? Sample rate is 44.1, buffer set to max. Sweep runs from 40 Hz to 10KHz. SPL c80dBA
I have the same issue. I use a Mac when using two different devices. Or use Paul's Multitone if I'm doing measures of electronics because it will host two different devices even with ASIO for both.

Top Bottom