• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

REW not seeing RME USB interface??

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi all,

So I set myself up today to re-calibrate my system which I was looking forward to but have had problems with REW not seeing my DAC's digital interface?
I use an RME ADI2 PRO fs be and am connected to my laptop via a USB cable yet REW only sees the analogue 1+2 interface?
Can anyone shed any light on why this might be?

I have downloaded the latest windows drivers for the RME and installed the drivers accurately and I have tried factory resetting the RME which had no effect.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Hi all,

So I set myself up today to re-calibrate my system which I was looking forward to but have had problems with REW not seeing my DAC's digital interface?
I use an RME ADI2 PRO fs be and am connected to my laptop via a USB cable yet REW only sees the analogue 1+2 interface?
Can anyone shed any light on why this might be?

I have downloaded the latest windows drivers for the RME and installed the drivers accurately and I have tried factory resetting the RME which had no effect.
Sure you not forgot to change the java to ASIO in REW?

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Sure you not forgot to change the java to ASIO in REW?
I've tried that too and selected the madiface drivers but it still only lets me select either anlalogue 1 or 2 as an output?

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
See..........

RME with REW.JPG

staticV3

Master Contributor
Looks like REW is seeing the RME interface just fine..
What are you expecting to see in REW instead of Analog 1+2 out?

Edit: aah. The digital out.
Is digital out normally exposed via USB on the RME? Like, can you set Audition etc to output via the ADI-2's digital out?

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Hmm, I am not sure how many channels the RME ADI2 Pro can output. Would you be able to show us a screenshot of Totalmix FX?

(Edit) why does REW think your ADI2 is a Madiface? Did you install the correct drivers?

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
I have to be honest here and say that I am a novice user compared to you guys so I don't know what Audition is or Totalmix?

I have used REW before with an RME ADI2 and always used Java as normal.

I'm a bit stumped here really.............

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
I get this when I try to use Java...

RME with REW 2.JPG

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
My only day off work and this is what happens! :(

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Sparky do you see Digital 1+2 out in audio programs other than REW? Stuff like Audacity or Audition.
If neither program is giving you the option, then it's unlikely that REW is at fault and instead, it might be a bad driver or faulty setup.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Hmmmm. So it has suddenly started working for some reason but only in Java and only on the Analogue inputs???
Why would this happen? Does it see analogue as just line level input regardless of which actual input you use???

Sokel

Master Contributor
Let me do a sanity check.
So you want to output digital through spdif,right?
Can you take a sreenshot of the exposed output devises?

JayGilb

Major Contributor
According to the manual, usb operations can be configured as either stereo or multi-channel. Maybe you have it configured as multi-channel ?

Capture.PNG

Keith_W

Major Contributor
This is how you open Totalmix.

1680004054286.png

On the bottom right of Windows, hover on the action bar. Click on the icon that says "Restore/Minimize all TotalMix FX Windows". TotalMix is RME's Mixer software. It is very powerful, but rather unintuitive if you have never used a mixer before.

I don't have an RME ADI-2 Pro. I have an RME Fireface UC, which is why I have so many analog outputs and inputs. Check that TotalMix can see all the correct inputs and outputs of your ADI2 Pro. If TotalMix can't see it, then that would explain why REW can't see it either.

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
Well then try using one! Audacity for one is free and easily installed.
Just downloaded and installed Audacity as you suggested and it shows exactly the same as REW with no digital inputs available only analogue.
I cannot control the sound output through the RME at all. It just isn't seeing the USB side?
The RME is set to USB mode or I wouldn't hear anything through the speakers.

I'll double check the RME though

OP
Sparky

Sparky

Forum Donor
There is an option to choose "stereo only" under the sample rate in REW.
Just selected that option but again, no change to anything and I still have no volume control.

With me recently factory resetting the RME, I will have to double check all settings to see if something is selected which is affecting my ability to change the volume.
I am using a GLM kit for my monitors which adds another complication really.
Sensitivity is set to zero so I get a full signal from the RME and the volume dial is set at -37 which gives me 75dB at my listening position.
RME is set to -20 which should give me a nice range to play with except I can't change volume of course.

Top Bottom