• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

REW-Moving Microphone Method Help

QMuse

Major Contributor
My MM measurements show little difference in the high frequencies between a single speaker and a pair. I bet a sweep from a single spot would tell a different story.

View attachment 59277

Yes, single sweep of both speakers would tell a different story.

Can you repost that graph without lowering response of both speakers (plz apply 1/6 smoothing)? I think you have phase cancellation here:

2020.04.18 Left Right Both.jpg

DanGuitarMan

I might have recorded these in different sessions while changing the gain. I'll double check.

DanGuitarMan

The Left and Right were recorded one after another. Then the gain was adjusted down for the measurement of both. I aimed for 75dB for each measurement.

QMuse

Major Contributor
I might have recorded these in different sessions while changing the gain. I'll double check.

You can adjust your current graph easilly: make your left and right channel overlapped at HF and increase both channel response 3dB higher than L and R at HF.

DanGuitarMan

I am using subtractive eq to tame peaks, and a maximum of 3dB boost to fill in dips. They are shown with psychoacoustic smoothing, but you get the idea. Here's a corrected response and the eqs applied:

2020.04.18 Before After.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 2.16.35 PM.png

DanGuitarMan

Here it is with Var smoothing so you can better see the huge dip at 55Hz. I always chalked this dip up to room/speaker interaction and never tried to boost it. When I tried, I wasn't satisfied.

2020.04.18 Before After Var.jpg

QMuse

Major Contributor
Here it is with Var smoothing so you can better see the huge dip at 55Hz. I always chalked this dip up to room/speaker interaction and never tried to boost it. When I tried, I wasn't satisfied.

View attachment 59287

Do you have measurement of Both speekrs response with correction to add to that graph?

That dip may be due to speaer's positoning as well. Do you have a photo to show position?

DanGuitarMan

If phase of left and right speaker would be matched the response would look like this:

View attachment 59289

Unfortunately you cannot correct phase with PEW filtering, so re-positioning the speakers may be your only option. How close are they to the walls/corner?
IMG_6540 2.JPG

DanGuitarMan

Thank you! I'd love to try that. There are a few impediments: 1. WAF 2. We have a corner mounted TV that swings out and would cover the speaker if I were to do that.

IMG_9136.JPG
IMG_4514.JPG

Top Bottom