• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

REW Measurement Level and Effect on EQ

DubbyMcDubs

I am very new to REW and have tried only one measurement of my room and applied a quick target EQ as a test, using the exported WAV applied in Roon's Convolver.

Most tutorials use 75db for the measurement setup and therefore that is what the EQ uses as the target level, ultimately outputting that into the resulting WAV file. This seems to attenuate the output at playback on my system. My question, are there settings to boost the target level in the EQ tool in REW, or do I re-run the measument using a higher output test at levels approaching the upper limit of usual listening volumes? Boosting the "Target Level (db)" setting under "Filter Tasks" seemed to cause the "Match response to target" feature to fail.

Sorry for the noob question :p

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

There really isn't a good reason to offset the Target and then run "Match Response to Target." That's exactly what you're doing by adjusting the Target Level.

If you’re doing the Calibrate SPL routine, or have a USB mic with (I think it’s) a sensitivity figure you can plug into the program, you shouldn’t be getting much difference between the SPL level for “Check Level” and the measurement sweep. If that’s the case, try increasing the input level in the Soundcard tab.

BTW, there is also an "Offset Trace" feature, that lets you raise of lower the response curve to the Target. Kind of a variation of the Target Level adjustment.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited:

DanGuitarMan

Can you post a picture of your measurement, target, etc? Or better yet, upload the file?

OP
D

DubbyMcDubs

Can you post a picture of your measurement, target, etc? Or better yet, upload the file?

I will run the measurement again before uploading so I can see if I have made any mistakes. Wont be able to do that until I get me kids out of my hair :p

Top Bottom