• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

REW For Simple Desktop Speakers?

JohnPM

Technical Expert
I posted what is happening above. When the DAC isn't getting a signal, it mutes its output. Unfortunately, it only looks at the left channel to decide whether there is a signal, so when you send a signal on the right channel with nothing on the left after a few seconds it thinks there is no signal and mutes the output.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

So, perhaps it IS the auto-mute function. What a PITA. Is there any purpose for the auto-mute? So, maybe the dac is working just fine, which is good. It's just a huge bother when conducting REW measurements. Thankfully, turning the dac off and back on for each REW measurement seems to create an accurate and trustworthy frequency response measurement for the R channel. Also, if I use Speaker Cal for the pink noise rather than Full Range, I can push continuous sound out of the R monitor and thus be able to synchronize the loudness of each monitor (adjusting gain on back of monitors). If I switch to Full Range pink noise, I get at most a second or two of sound from the R monitor (L channel and monitor are NOT affected), and must turn off and back on the dac to get any additional sound from the R channel.

So, if the dac is functioning (it sounds good, especially after this recent REW measurement and EQ filtering), I suppose it's worth keeping. But I still wonder . . .

OP
wacomme

wacomme

I posted what is happening above. When the DAC isn't getting a signal, it mutes its output. Unfortunately, it only looks at the left channel to decide whether there is a signal, so when you send a signal on the right channel with nothing on the left after a few seconds it thinks there is no signal and mutes the output.
Good to know, and thank you. Now I've got to decide if I want to keep the dac or find a different dac that doesn't have the auto-mute problem. The only time this problem surfaces, from what I've witnessed, is during REW measuring. Even then, there's a work-around - just a bother.

Top Bottom