• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

REW For Simple Desktop Speakers?

wacomme

Would a REW room configuration help for a simple desktop speaker setup? I have a small desk with two AudioEngine A2 powered speakers. I have them EQ'd through SoundSource software on my Mac using AUNBandEQ - some A2 PEQ file I found with a Google search. I figured I would also benefit from some angled speakers stands to point the speakers toward my head. I would like to buy some better speakers (thinking iLoud MTM due their small size), but that's for another day.

I'm reading about REW and room acoustic measurements. Would this help get the most out of my A2's? I mostly listen nearfield (about 2' from the speakers), and generally low volume. I really haven't thought about a sub for the A2's. If I did I would need an amp other than my L50 and DO100 (dac) combo I use for my headphones. If I were to go the route of measuring room acoustics, I would need a microphone. I currently have a Samson Technologies Q2U USB/XLR Dynamic Microphone with a USB connection. Would that work in lieu of the MiniDSP UMIK-1? I suppose it would NOT work since the mic needs to be calibrated and I don't think my Samson mic is calibration (perhaps it can be calibrated - no idea). What I'm asking is if $70 for the UMIK-1 and $30 for the angled speaker stands is worth the money to get better sound from my A2 speakers? Should I hear a discernible sound improvement with a $100 investment into the A2 speakers? Or do I save up for the iLoud MTM's and forgo the room acoustic measurements - and how about the iLoud Micro's for a less expensive alternative? Or do I just get the angled risers and forget the room acoustic measurements? These are all of my contemplations, but basically I want to know if room acoustic measurements and resulting EQ settings will help with a nearfield desktop speaker setup with me at the computer desk?

Willem

Major Contributor
Few setups are actually simple. I use a pair of Harbeth P3ESRs as my desktop speakers. As with many speakers, their design axis is at tweeter height, so I first needed some stands to raise the tweeters to ear height. Next, I knew that there was a bit of bass boom from the proximity of the desk surface: raising them on their stands helped, but not enough. So I measured them with REW, and created an equalization curve that I uploaded into Equalizer APO in my pC. This was better again.

fragzone

Few setups are actually simple. I use a pair of Harbeth P3ESRs as my desktop speakers. As with many speakers, their design axis is at tweeter height, so I first needed some stands to raise the tweeters to ear height. Next, I knew that there was a bit of bass boom from the proximity of the desk surface: raising them on their stands helped, but not enough. So I measured them with REW, and created an equalization curve that I uploaded into Equalizer APO in my pC. This was better again.
Very interesting. I can get some ugly resonances in the bass region for my desktop setup. Will give REW a go.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

So it seems the REW can create a sound improvement, even for inexpensive desktop speakers (e.g., Audioengine A2's). As for positioning, would be better served by raising my speakers to head height or angling them to point at my head? Aesthetically, pointing them with wedge stands is the nicer option.

fragzone

So it seems the REW can create a sound improvement, even for inexpensive desktop speakers (e.g., Audioengine A2's). As for positioning, would be better served by raising my speakers to head height or angling them to point at my head? Aesthetically, pointing them with wedge stands is the nicer option.
I have found that decoupling speakers from the desk using iso acoustic stands makes a tremendous difference. The higher the better assuming you don't go above ear height.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

I'm still trying to determine if I need the UMIK-1 for room acoustic measurements with REW, or if I can use my Samson Q2U mic instead.

Trell

Major Contributor
I'm still trying to determine if I need the UMIK-1 for room acoustic measurements with REW, or if I can use my Samson Q2U mic instead.

Your microphone has a cardioid polar pattern and most likely not a reasonably flat frequency due to voicing either, so you need a measurement microphone if you want it for room EQ or a mic with a flat FR and is omnidirectional. The UMIK-1 works very well with REW, has a reasonable for the purpose calibration file you can download and is inexpensive. The UMIK-1 is noisy so use outside of measurements is limited.

Edit: From the manual the mic drops in fr from about 100 Hz and is down 10 dB at 25 Hz. Good for voice but not for measuring.

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor

Try lift them up from the table along with angling them up/down/sideways, also change the distance between the monitors as well as your listening position. These are inexpensive ways to test out what sounds the best to you. Having some PEQ to knock down some room modes works wonders as well and you don't necessarily need a huge number of PEQ, just a few.

If you have a measurement mic you can use REW to help find the best position as well as validate whatever tweaks/changes you make. Highly recommended to get a measurement mic and spend time on REW (that has a learning curve).

OP
wacomme

wacomme

According to armirm I don't necessarily need the UMIK-1 to be calibrated by Cross Spectrum labs. Their cost is $100 vs $80 through MiniDSP's website (Amazon is charging $130). I'm also thinking about the Dayton UMM-6 mic, but from what I've read the UMIK-1 is better and the price difference is minimal.

I'm still wondering if $100 is worth the increased performance with room acoustic eq adjustments for the A2. But I'm curious, and it'll be a good learning experience. Besides, I might also be able to calibrate the living room A5 speakers too (though need a means for DSP adjusting), and if I get new speakers I'll have the measurement mic for those speakers too.

Trell

Major Contributor
According to armirm I don't necessarily need the UMIK-1 to be calibrated by Cross Spectrum labs. Their cost is $100 vs $80 through MiniDSP's website (Amazon is charging $130). I'm also thinking about the Dayton UMM-6 mic, but from what I've read the UMIK-1 is better and the price difference is minimal.

I'm still wondering if $100 is worth the increased performance with room acoustic eq adjustments for the A2. But I'm curious, and it'll be a good learning experience. Besides, I might also be able to calibrate the living room A5 speakers too (though need a means for DSP adjusting), and if I get new speakers I'll have the measurement mic for those speakers too.

You can download the calibration file from minidsp homepage when you have the UMIK-1 serial number.

From that other place you mentioned the calibration file is individually for the specific mic, and that you’ve to pay extra for. The minidsp supplied calibration file should be good enough for room EQ.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

I think I'll practice the process with my Samson Q2U mic while I wait for the UMIK-1 to arrive.

Trell

Major Contributor
I think I'll practice the process with my Samson Q2U mic while I wait for the UMIK-1 to arrive.

That’s an excellent idea! REW has a learning curve but is a powerful tool, and is free on top of that.

Possibly you can create your own “calibration” file for your old mic for the drop from 100 Hz as this is just a text file, but you’ve to google for how to do that. Also ignore results above midrange or so, but the bass (below 500 Hz or so) is where I’ve create your filters for mostly.

The bass roll off is in the link above, and also a polar pattern that does not show which frequency it’s for. But it’s usually much more omnidirectional at bass frequencies you can try point upwards at 60 degrees and between your loudspeakers. Experiment with multiple angles and compare measurements.

If you’ve a simple laser distance tool that will help you place your mic for repeatable measurements but also for moving your speakers around. A tripod is nice as well.

When you get your new UMIK you can compare measurements and see how much or little they differ.

Last edited:
OP
wacomme

wacomme

Got started, but I can't get my mic to input sound into REW. However, the mic is turned on and is working. I also have a USB mic from a Logi webcam. That also can't be accessed within REW. I'm really not sure how to proceed. Both mics, when selected within Settings, work.

I also have SoundSource, and when mics are selected they seem to work. However, in REW, input and output only show "default" as the only selection.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

In preferences when I select the Samson mic I get an input device error: REW V5.20.9 running Azul Systems, Inc. JRE 1.8.0_332 64-bit on OS X 12.4 Locale: language en, keyboard US, UTF-8 at 81 DPI

What's happening? I have the UMIK-1 on order, but I was hoping to play with my Samson mic until it arrived.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

OK. I was able to use my webcam mic as my temporary (practice) input mic. The webcam is on top of my computer monitor. Here is what I got for my first run. The UMIK-1 should arrive Sunday. I also bought a laser distance device.

Attachments

• Test 1.jpg
    Test 1.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 102

Trell

Major Contributor
I use Windows so there are likely differences how to setup input and output devices compared to OS X.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
OK. I was able to use my webcam mic as my temporary (practice) input mic. The webcam is on top of my computer monitor. Here is what I got for my first run. The UMIK-1 should arrive Sunday. I also bought a laser distance device.
Apply VAR smoothing to your graphs and you will get rid of the comb filter effects at higher frequency. Makes it easier to look at and analyze.
Good luck. You wont regret the purchase of the UMIK. Best 100 bucks ever spent

wwenze

Major Contributor
Yup...

Red is my iLoud Micro measured at the edge of the table, green is at normal setup position ("what I hear"). The table and computer screen and back wall give it a +10dB low shelf filter below 1kHz.

mU8zwnw.png

The problem is what you should do after this point is highly philosophical. Setting the in-room response to be completely flat will give a sound that is way too bright, as Amir's reviews here has always reminded. The common solution is probably to follow a target curve, which is usually a gentle downward straight slope. I have however found myself to be more fond of the +10dB low shelf filter above that comes naturally with the setup,

Top Bottom