• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

REW for dummies?

murl

Is there a REW for dummies or explanation to start using? I read some on the REW site but I think my knowledge of EQing in general is very low. Now that I am in my new permanent home I would like to try and optimize the speakers for the room. Also any suggestions on microphones to use?

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Is there a REW for dummies or explanation to start using? I read some on the REW site but I think my knowledge of EQing in general is very low. Now that I am in my new permanent home I would like to try and optimize the speakers for the room. Also any suggestions on microphones to use?

As for your mic question: I've seen quite a few ASR members recommend the miniDSP UMIK-1 USB microphone for use with REW.

3dbinCanada

I'm look to get a mic but the UMIK-1 is going for $234 Cdn. I've searched through Amazon and found this. Is this suitable and better than the mic on my laptop?

Dayton Audio iMM-6 iDevice Calibrated Microphone

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'm look to get a mic but the UMIK-1 is going for $234 Cdn.

What about other vendors - Parts Express, UMIK-1 $89 USD - will ship to Canada with some obstructions...

https://www.parts-express.com/minid...sb-measurement-calibrated-microphone--230-332

"Parts Express ships via UPS Worldwide Express and UPS Worldwide Expedited (no broker fees on either). We also ship UPS Standard to Canada which is subject to broker fees.
All shipments are subject to custom fees, payable at time of delivery."

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm look to get a mic but the UMIK-1 is going for $234 Cdn. I've searched through Amazon and found this. Is this suitable and better than the mic on my laptop?

Dayton Audio iMM-6 iDevice Calibrated Microphone

You can also order the UMIC direct from MiniDSP's website. It's about US$100 with shipping (I think I got it the next day because it was the only option). There may have been a small amount of duty payable as well, but still well under the price you were quoted.

levimax

Major Contributor
REW has a steep learning curve and while you can get pretty much any Mic to work (if you have the equipment and patience) the UMIK-1 is "plug and play" including the calibration file .... it really helps you get started so get one if you can.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
How about www.solen.ca

https://solen.ca/products/electronics/test-equipment/minidsp-umik-1-minidsp-microphone/

1600448625048.png

Reactions: GDK
Top Bottom