• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

REW - Display Harman Curve plus Speaker and Subwoofer Level Query

Buckster

I was wondering please if there is any way you can display a Harman Curve (or equivalent) within the Frequency SPL response window itself rather than have to copy over to "EQ" then overlay a curve in there ?

Ref. Speaker Levels I have a couple of queries please:

(1) on Denon AVRs if you use the Speaker Level setup page - when playing back the test tones does the AVR apply your EQ (Audyssey or Manual EQ) - I'd have thought the EQ could affect the speaker level enough to make a difference so it would make sense it was applied but I've not seen anywhere state one way or the other

(2) I get very odd results for my Sub (level) when using REW and my UMIK. I can't get HDMI audio out to work without distortion and don't have analogue audio out - so I've used REW to export audio sweep files (one for Left one for right) which I play the relevant one for the speaker I want testing and measure accordingly, using the offline mode of REW (which uses a timing reference).

I set the Denon to be 2 channel stereo, and I have ensured in 2 channel specific settings that the speaker levels are set to 0dB and crossover matches crossover in the main settings. I've never worked out whether in the 2 channel stereo setup page whether the speaker levels are "deltas" against the main speaker levels or actual levels - but if set to 0 there would not be much variance as in the main speaker level page the fronts and centre are all at around 0.5dB

frequency sweep works fine - and can see the subwoofer response - but the subwoofer response shows as being very very low - like 5-10dB low. If I was to correct to anywhere near this the subwoofer would be way too loud so I'm wondering if its something to do with measuring Left and Right separately as mono signals and the signal as crossed over to the subwoofer would only be the right level if you played a stereo 2 channel test signal

thanks very much for any help - and much appreciated

Mark

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
I was wondering please if there is any way you can display a Harman Curve (or equivalent) within the Frequency SPL response window itself rather than have to copy over to "EQ" then overlay a curve in there ?

You can generate a measurement curve from the target curve and use it in the "All SPL" window.

1653566340348.png

OP
B

Buckster

thanks very much for the reply - much appreciated.

I'll give it a go.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you use the windows and not an AsioAll driver than your Denon must be in Audyssey Reference or Flat and not in Direct for the Sub to play via LFE.

REW Distortions can happen also when your Laptop is in Balanced or even Energy Saving mode in which case the CPU might not keep up if it is slow to begin with. You can also try to increase the buffers in REW.

Make sure your Laptop is recognized by the Denon. I had one instance where I needed to switch on the TV so the Laptop would see it as a second display. Then also HDMI worked. Go figure.

The Denon speaker test tones should play without being affected by Audyssey.

good luck

Top Bottom