• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

REW+APO can't see the results but its working

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Hey hello
Im using UMIK 1 + rew +w11 + APO EQ.

I measure my speaker using REW, then it's generates the filters and the apo apply them. No problem

But if i measure again, REW completely IGNORE what appo EQ is doing, but everything works with the filters ON from APO EQ, music.. google chrome... everything...OK except REW, i can't see the results..
What's going on?

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Hey hello

The rew measure my speaker, then generates the filters and the apo apply them. No problem

But if i measure again, REW completely IGNORE what appo EQ is doing, but everything works with the filters ON from APO EQ, music.. google chrome... everything...OK except REW, i can't see the results..
What going on?
You are probably using ASIO or WASAPI exclusive output,don't you?

hemiutut

Hey hello

The rew measure my speaker, then generates the filters and the apo apply them. No problem

What going on?
To measure with APO and see it with REW, you have to put the java drivers.

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I solved the problem downgrading the REW software to an older version.
The new version is bug

staticV3

Master Contributor
@BrokenEnglishGuy I'm guessing you used Java EXCL then? That's not a bug, it's a feature.
Java EXCL will talk to the DAC directly, bypassing any APOs like Equalizer APO.
You can disable that in the new version of REW by simply using regular Java instead of Java EXCL.

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
@BrokenEnglishGuy I'm guessing you used Java EXCL then? That's not a bug, it's a feature.
Java EXCL will talk to the DAC directly, bypassing any APOs like Equalizer APO.
You can disable that in the new version of REW by simply using regular Java instead of Java EXCL.
Hmmm i don't know, but it seems to be a little bit wtf. I'm too lazy for verify that thing, i wanna hear my speakers with the new UMIK1 config, it sounds really good.. I only have the umik1 for 2 days! i have to work! xD

The older version works perfectly fine

hemiutut

Hmmm i don't know, but it seems to be a little bit wtf. I'm too lazy for verify that thing, i wanna hear my speakers with the new UMIK1 config, it sounds really good.. I only have the umik1 for 2 days! i have to work! xD

The older version works perfectly fine
If you can already measure with APO, it would be nice if you can put the .mdat file to see what you had before vs APO.

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
If you can already measure with APO, it would be nice if you can put the .mdat file to see what you had before vs APO.
My r7s extend really well! it's amazing to see in the graphs that 30hz.. and also hear/feel :)

Correction was only in bass. No smoothing in the graphs.

KEF R7 Before:
1668284757087.png

After:
1668284654043.png

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Thank you
Can you put the .mdat file?
Later.
I have to re-measure, the green corrected FR clipped while REW was measure the speaker (I had the speaker too loud and i didn't notice), and the data went corrupted a little bit.
For now i will enjoy the speakers

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Thanks for the .mdat file
It is clearly seen that it has acoustic treatment in the room.
Can you comment on your acoustic treatment?

Greetings
Hello

I did my best thinking how the speaker can sound the best in my 3,3x3,3m room.

I have the bed in my back, and in the front i removed all the fortniture because i listened my previous speaker without any fortniture in the front and it did make a nice difference.., so the TV 55'' (aluminum) it's attached to the wall, I also have a 5cm thick foam in the front 200cmx50cm.

On my very near front it's my templed glass desktop (I have the dac/pre +keyboard on the glass)
And betwen the speakers it's the PC/poweramp
Thank you

Last edited:

hemiutut

I've removed the 46hz peak, looks pretty now
20hz - 15khz, i forgot to put 20khz
View attachment 242977
Thank you
My suggestion is to do more APO targets and see which EQ you like best.
I suggest you do a test by taking the 85 dB reference and equalizing it down.

Try this EQ up to 3 kHz for now, measure again with APO and do another EQ on the result
Take the test. You will see that the Individual Max Boost is set to 3.
So I tell the program that I don't want any filter with more than 3 dB to start with.

target-a-85-d-B.jpg

written with translator

Greetings

Last edited:
OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Thank you
My suggestion is to do more APO targets and see which EQ you like best.
I suggest you do a test by taking the 85 dB reference and equalizing it down.

Try this EQ up to 3 kHz for now, measure again with APO and do another EQ on the result
Take the test. You will see that the Individual Max Boost is set to 3.
So I tell the program that I don't want any filter with more than 3 dB to start with.

target-a-85-d-B.jpg

written with translator

Greetings
Hi
I was trying today different EQ profiles, the ones like that sounds a bit weird, I guess giving too much boost in the 115hz region makes the bass a bit weird.

That being said, the umik1 is fantastic, it can change the speaker a lot. I highly recommend this thing. I have hard times to identify the dip around 800hz~ in my listening test

Subjetive the best resul was this, the bass is very dense, fun and articulate.. sounds very HiFi and fun
This was REW+2 filters made by me. Boost the sub-bass, -1,5dB 3khz
index.php

I also measure a more flat curve today, i got this (sorry in the first floor my family was playing with another speakers, so no good presicion in this), i got the pre-measurement while them hadn't play music, but when i took the final measure they turn on the music :). In this wave the speaker sounds very HiFi and dissapiar, everything just sound very clean and natural. Correction was up to 3khz

1668355506325.png

In recent measurements I got more mid range and high frequency energy, not like the the previous one. I don't know why. In this one i only low a bit the 3khz too. For example in the blue measurement i see a slope in the high frequency while in the orange nope.

But the orange sounds a bit weird. I guess it's the +15dB filter at 115hz XD.

End with this? idk why the slope HF looks that flat
1668358734944.png

}

EDIT: I learned in my listening test that, correct these tinny small Q peak or dips is not good idea, If i correct too much the dip around 110hz~ it sounds very bad but measure flat, but in reality is does not sound flat and sounds really boosted.

This sounds the best in my listening test, that dip is not that audible at all, its hard to hear even if i use these 20hz-20khz videos in youtube. Using +6dB to boost that dip is enough, the +11dB~boost measure flat but does not sound good
EDIT2: Im not sure if use -3dB (like the graph) or -2dB at 3Khz, still listening

EDIT3: I end with -2dB at 3khz, sounds the best, no graph for this, the last graph is EDIT2.
1668365194855.png

Time to go!
this was the very final measurement:
It include a +2dB high frequency shelf. 5500hz. Everything sounds amazing. I'm done.
1668439153043.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom