• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

REW+APO can't see the results but its working

hemiutut

Normal that it sounds bad when raising that valley of 115 Hz with + 11 dB.
Equalizing is not raising or lowering a specific frequency, but you don't have to be afraid to get down to it.
You will see that looking for information is very easy.
For now, I advise you not to raise the valleys you may have from 300-400 Hz down.
more than + 3 dB to start and from 400-500 Hz and above do not put filters with a narrow Q.
If you put narrow-Q filters in the mid-zone, you will most likely be over-equalizing.
To finish a flat target if it is not well applied it can sound very bad vs what we could have before.

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Normal that it sounds bad when raising that valley of 115 Hz with + 11 dB.
Equalizing is not raising or lowering a specific frequency, but you don't have to be afraid to get down to it.
You will see that looking for information is very easy.
For now, I advise you not to raise the valleys you may have from 300-400 Hz down.
more than + 3 dB to start and from 400-500 Hz and above do not put filters with a narrow Q.
If you put narrow-Q filters in the mid-zone, you will most likely be over-equalizing.
To finish a flat target if it is not well applied it can sound very bad vs what we could have before.
After a lot of listening and measurements I ended with this:
It sounds amazing. Very controlled bass and fun, yet very detailed and smooth sounds. Im loving the R7s.
Bass sounds incredible good.
1668432644242.png

I had to try to correct the 1khz thing
1668433208737.png

1668434278846.png

Attachments

• 1668434095342.png
    1668434095342.png
    196.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for your sharing nice procedures on Fq tuning.

BTW, have you measured and tuned precision (0.1 msec level) time alignment (at your listening position) over all the SP drivers?

At least in my setup, it greatly contributes to the almost perfect disappearance of SPs as summarized here.

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Thank you for your sharing nice procedures on Fq tuning.

BTW, have you measured and tuned precision (0.1 msec level) time alignment (at your listening position) over all the SP drivers?

At least in my setup, it greatly contributes to the almost perfect disappearance of SPs as summarized here.
I only had the umik1 for 2 days, its a really nice tool.
I havent do anything to the tine alignment, but in the future i will definly take a look at that post if i got the umik1 again
Thank you

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I only had the umik1 for 2 days, its a really nice tool.
I havent do anything to the tine alignment, but in the future i will definly take a look at that post if i got the umik1 again
Thank you

I understood well.

In any way, I found it is really interesting that your best tuned Fq response and my best tuned response in my setup have very similar "tendencies" other than a little bit of upward slope over about 7 kHz in my case compensating my age dependent slight hearing decline; please refer to my post here regarding the slight upward slope in high Fq zone.
WS00004972.JPG

OP
B

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
I understood well.

In any way, I found it is really interesting that your best tuned Fq response and my best tuned response in my setup have very similar "tendencies" other than a little bit of upward slope over about 7 kHz in my case compensating my age dependent slight hearing decline; please refer to my post here regarding the slight upward slope in high Fq zone.
View attachment 244081
Yes!
One of my goal was try that kind of tuning, sound very good in my opinion, very lifelike
That gentle slope in the FR sounds good
Thanks i'll take a look

Levi

@BrokenEnglishGuy I'm guessing you used Java EXCL then? That's not a bug, it's a feature.
Java EXCL will talk to the DAC directly, bypassing any APOs like Equalizer APO.
You can disable that in the new version of REW by simply using regular Java instead of Java EXCL.
How can I do that? I tried installing Java and reinstalling REW, but it's still bypassing the equalizer.

Top Bottom