• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

REW after Room Correction

OP
Kling75

Kling75

Forum Donor
I can't comment on the REW but have the same issue with Focal Electra 1028. I have been experimenting with an LPad.. I was wondering how much you had to dial down the treble with the REW to get this?
Hi Nybto,

I got 5 Bands in the Auralic Altair G1 available. I took some Time to trial to reach this Results....here the Filters ..

I have to emphasize , i experimented over Months with different Acoustic Panels, Diffusors and Bass Traps. After i achieved good Reults - the i used the Room Acoustics Correction in the Auralic Altair G1:..

Attachments

• Auralic_Band_1.png
    Auralic_Band_1.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 255
  • Auralic_Band_2.png
    Auralic_Band_2.png
    55 KB · Views: 232
  • Auralic_Band_3.png
    Auralic_Band_3.png
    53 KB · Views: 199
  • Auralic_Band_4.png
    Auralic_Band_4.png
    52.9 KB · Views: 196
  • Auralic_Band_5.png
    Auralic_Band_5.png
    52.5 KB · Views: 187
  • 1601141215130.png
    1601141215130.png
    312 bytes · Views: 213
Last edited:

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
You can read about how to interpret the spectrogram here. This link leads to one part of the official REW tutorial. The result I posted was created by Dirac Live 3 automated room correction software. I myself by manually operating REW and EQ cannot achieve this level of "graphic excellence", but I posted it just to give you an idea of what is possible.

My take is that compared to the result created by the software and the "ideal spectrogram" explained in the REW tutorial, the sound energy in your room has a longer decay time, about 100ms longer in the midrange and even longer in the bass. Also, you have several room modes (those deep wide nulls), suggested by both the rise in the Group Delay Line (the black broken-line) and the drop in the frequency response (think of spectrogram as a 3D frequency response graph viewed from above).

Another member tuga fixed the frequency response graph for you. That is a more accurate representation of how your system sound. If you draw a line at 75db, you can see about a +/-5db variation in the bass and mid-range. That is 10dB of ups and downs, meaning one music note could be twice as loud as an adjacent note.

You have applied very, very mild EQ. If you like the sound now, great, leave it like that. If not, try more EQ. Use REW to calculate Parametric EQ and enter them into your Auralic and see whether you like the result. Unlike room treatment installation, EQ is easily reversible so just be bold with it. I also recommend not using the "calculate target from response" in REW but put the line a lot lower than the measured frequency response, so that the PEQ will do more cutting that boosting. Cutting will give your lower SPL than before, so simply dial the volume up in your amp to compensate for that.

For the nulls below 100Hz, multi-sub is a tried-and-true solution. There are many discussions regarding multi-sub in this and other forums, just search it. You can also read about it in the attached PDF.

Here is a thread where other members post their results. You can compare yours to theirs. Remember, when reading a graph, don't just look at the shape of the curve, you have to read the vertical axis (Y) and horizontal axis (X).

Have fun!

Attachments

• Todd Welti - Subwoofers_OPtimum Number and Locations.pdf
    814.9 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
OP
Kling75

Kling75

Forum Donor
You can read about how to interpret the spectrogram here. This link leads to one part of the official REW tutorial. The result I posted was created by Dirac Live 3 automated room correction software. I myself by manually operating REW and EQ cannot achieve this level of "graphic excellence", but I posted it just to give you an idea of what is possible.

My take is that compared to the result created by the software and the "ideal spectrogram" explained in the REW tutorial, the sound energy in your room has a longer decay time, about 100ms longer in the midrange and even longer in the bass. Also, you have several room modes (those deep wide nulls), suggested by both the rise in the Group Delay Line (the black broken-line) and the drop in the frequency response (think of spectrogram as a 3D frequency response graph viewed from above).

Another member tuga fixed the frequency response graph for you. That is a more accurate representation of how your system sound. If you draw a line at 75db, you can see about a +/-5db variation in the bass and mid-range. That is 10dB of ups and downs, meaning one music note could be twice as loud as an adjacent note.

You have applied very, very mild EQ. If you like the sound now, great, leave it like that. If not, try more EQ. Use REW to calculate Parametric EQ and enter them into your Auralic and see whether you like the result. Unlike room treatment installation, EQ is easily reversible so just be bold with it. I also recommend not using the "calculate target from response" in REW but put the line a lot lower than the measured frequency response, so that the PEQ will do more cutting that boosting. Cutting will give your lower SPL than before, so simply dial the volume up in your amp to compensate for that.

For the nulls below 100Hz, multi-sub is a tried-and-true solution. There are many discussions regarding multi-sub in this and other forums, just search it. You can also read about it in the attached PDF.

Here is a thread where other members post their results. You can compare yours to theirs. Remember, when reading a graph, don't just look at the shape of the curve, you have to read the vertical axis (Y) and horizontal axis (X).

Have fun!

Wow...thank`s a lot ! I appreciate your competent and helpful contribution. You guys are incredible, taking time to help a Beginner,,,:)

Maxx134

Click here you can generate a spectrogram.

View attachment 84662
May I ask what does this specific area circled represent?:
Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 2.37.42 PM__01.png
I see the frequency is low but like to know what could be the possible cause for it?

Does it correspond to looser driver?

It is a well delayed area from main signal, so could it be a reflection or inclosure reflection?
Or Maybe the harmonics of main signal?

I wonder about that faint pattern.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
May I ask what does this specific area circled represent?:
View attachment 163478
I see the frequency is low but like to know what could be the possible cause for it?

Does it correspond to looser driver?

It is a well delayed area from main signal, so could it be a reflection or inclosure reflection?
Or Maybe the harmonics of main signal?

I wonder about that faint pattern.
Very long decay times for low frequencies. All rooms have it.

Rythmik G22 Pair + Buchardt S400 + Audyssey Waterfall 3.png

Top Bottom