• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

REW 101 help

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...chardt-a500-measurements-and-spinorama.15473/

That dip in the mid-range is definitely real, maybe slightly exaggerated by the in-room reflections.

The 50Hz null is a room mode. Use your room dimensions to figure out what surfaces are causing it, and use multiple subwoofers to correct it, if possible.

The variations from 80-300Hz are a combination of room modes and speaker boundary interference. Actually not too bad, so either your placement is good or the EQ is working overtime. Probably the latter.

Take a look at your decay times. Your frequency response isn't bad, but not the only metric for sound quality.

Also distortion. Bass distortion isn't usually noticeable, but mid-range and treble have a much lower threshold.

vavan

"Capture" button to take graph screenshot is your friend

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Waaaiiiiit
I thought google was my friend

Hipper

The real problems that affect the whole sound is in the bass region, say 0-300Hz. Improve this and the rest of the frequencies will be clearer.

I therefore suggest you adjust your graph by using 'Limits' button, top right, something like 70-95dB and 0-300Hz. Then on the 'Controls' button, top right, adjust the graph to 'No Smoothing'. This will then show in the greatest detail what the issues are.

How to improve the measurements is the next question. There are four possibilities:

1. Move the speakers and listening chair.
2. Use Room Treatment.
3. Use DSP/EQ.
4. Use a subwoofer or subs.

You can use any or all of these. I use the first three in a dedicated room. I appreciate that your domestic circumstance may not allow some of these so you'll have to do your best with what you can.

One other thing to consider is ambient sound - do you get sound entering your listening room from outside. Reducing this is beneficial. For example, I live on a busy road and my measurements can be affected by traffic, mostly around 40Hz. I use a third piece of glazing over the double glazing, It doesn't stop the 40Hz traffic noise but does muffle external sounds generally.

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The real problems that affect the whole sound is in the bass region, say 0-300Hz. Improve this and the rest of the frequencies will be clearer.

I therefore suggest you adjust your graph by using 'Limits' button, top right, something like 70-95dB and 0-300Hz. Then on the 'Controls' button, top right, adjust the graph to 'No Smoothing'. This will then show in the greatest detail what the issues are.

How to improve the measurements is the next question. There are four possibilities:

1. Move the speakers and listening chair.
2. Use Room Treatment.
3. Use DSP/EQ.
4. Use a subwoofer or subs.

You can use any or all of these. I use the first three in a dedicated room. I appreciate that your domestic circumstance may not allow some of these so you'll have to do your best with what you can.

One other thing to consider is ambient sound - do you get sound entering your listening room from outside. Reducing this is beneficial. For example, I live on a busy road and my measurements can be affected by traffic, mostly around 40Hz. I use a third piece of glazing over the double glazing, It doesn't stop the 40Hz traffic noise but does muffle external sounds generally.
Yah, thanks
There is little to nothing i can do really to correct except fiddling with DSP and EQ. The speakers themselves have some DSP internally but not full range (just bass region). There is zero chance of adding subs, there is zero chance of room treatment and there is no listening chair(s) per se. Its an open room. The speakers sit against the wall which is glass and they cannot be moved. So, i am stuck. The good news is there is no real background noise.

I was just looking for some interpretation of the FR plot, nothing more, nothing less (well, get some help learning on how to use REW and interpret the results)
Thanks again

Hipper

Then I suggest you set up the FR graph in REW as I suggest for the range you can adjust with your DSP and fiddle away until it looks better and, of course, sounds better.

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Then I suggest you set up the FR graph in REW as I suggest for the range you can adjust with your DSP and fiddle away until it looks better and, of course, sounds better.
Which is what i was going to do except, its pretty hard to know when it looks better since i have no idea on what its supposed to look like (what's ideal? the harmon curve as a starting point)

"get some help learning on how to use REW and interpret the results "

wrt to sounding better .... that's easy.

Hipper

Flat or at least smoother to start with. If you find the bass too weak after listening for a bit then use a curve like Harman.

To get an idea of what looks better look at the link on my post 16. You may not get it as flat as some but any progress in that direction should be good.

Top Bottom