• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revox modern products

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anybody know anything about modern Revox products? A few years ago it seemed Revox (then part of Harman) were about to enjoy a renaissance as they launched a comprehensive range of lifestyle audio products such as digital streaming amps, a CD ripping server, an expensive BT speaker, a range of quite pricey speakers etc. As part of the Harman group, a name which was rich in high end audio heritage and products designed to plug into the fashions in audio it seemed the future was quite bright but the range seemed to go nowhere and has died a death. Does anybody know anything about these products?

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I did not know ReVox was part of Harman. I think Studer was/is, but my impression is that Studer had sold Revox before their Harmon acquisition. I could be wrong. When slumming around the Web a year or so ago what was left of Revox was some 'lifestyle' designer audio systems that looked high tech, and blended in with a modern decor. Sort of a Bang and Olufsen style thing. I read somewhere that they were actually considering marketing an open reel deck in order to take advantage of the 'open reel revival', but then looked around at the potential market for that sort of niche thing, and dropped the idea.

I owned a B77, but to tell you the truth I didn't think it handled tapes as well as my Teac and Akai upper end decks. However, it was obviously better built in a solid sort of way. No doubt about that. Here's a link:

https://www.revox.com/en.html

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for that, those are the lifestyle systems I was thinking of. They were very expensive (Revox was never cheap) but after a bit of a sales push a few years ago they seem to be almost invisible now. At one time the website referenced Harman but that seems to have gone, maybe they were sold. I noticed that Studer are still listed on the Harman site but not Revox. Most of the products on their website were launched quite a while ago. Interesting that they still stress their Swiss heritage yet from what I can see they are a German company now.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
(Revox was never cheap) I noticed that Studer are still listed on the Harman site but not Revox.

Revox was viable when open reel tape was a viable medium. The products were expensive, but you did get quality build. Studer/Revox used to share a distribution/repair center in Nashville. Mostly to service the music business, I suppose. But that's gone, as far as I know. With advent of 'high end' Japanese cassette machines, and then digital, both pro and consumer, the company sort of ran out of a reason to exist.

PS edit: Revox used to offer a 'lifetime' warranty on their open reel tape machines. So you got that. What people didn't understand at the time was that it was not a warranty for the lifetime of the product, but the company. LOL

Last edited:
Top Bottom