• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revolution! Gradient Revolutions!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Arriving soon at Purité Audio, Gradient of Finland Revolution loudspeakers.
Gradient Revolution is a unique combination of advantages of a big panel loudspeaker and a mini monitor. Turnable and open dipole bass section with coaxial upper unit differs dramatically from ordinary loudspeaker designs.
http://www.gradient.fi/en/loudspeakers/5-gradient-revolution.html

Keith

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Thanks Ray, released in 94, I have asked Atte ( Jordi’s son) whether it would be possible to re-release their iconic 1.3 from the 1980s.
Gradient speakers are very neutral, the 1.4 is my favourite passive design.
From the Stereophile review,
‘My auditioning of the revised samples of the Revolution confirms Dick Olsher's excellent opinion of this speaker. Its modest appearance and size belie a sophisticated, superbly engineered, high-performance design. Highly recommended.—John Atkinson’
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content...-john-atkinson-march-1997#ZZdDMWbk576RVcJ1.99

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It’s the aesthetics that put me off , but I would have a pair of 1.3s in a heart beat.

Keith

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know what you mean but it is the unusualness that appeals to me and I think they were the amongst the first speakers to be designed to have a cardioid response. They have been making them for decades iirc.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Gradient 1.3 had 8" downfire monopole bass,12" dipole mid and shaded line of 1,75" monopole tweeters. Crossovers 250 and 1500Hz. So, the response is omnipole until cardioid around lower xo, then dipole and some cardioidish again at higher xo sliding to monopole with tweeters.

Revolution and 1.5 have dipole bass, cardioid midrange and monopole tweeter. Revolotion's bass can be rotated and 1.5's dipole is sideways.
1.4 has omnipole downfire bass, cardioid mid and monopole tweeter.

All these are a bit tricky, they require different positioning. Spectral power balance in a room is smooth and they sound "natural" 1.3 is my favourite and still very popular vintage speaker here in Finland! Revolution Active is perhaps the king of the hill.

http://www.gradient.fi/en/content/9-gradient-story

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
Love the out-of-the-box thinking that calls for a midrange driver bigger than the woofer! (in the case of the Gradient 1.3). How often do you see that?
I am enjoying a pair of Gradient Revolutions now. Assuming you like the point-source nature of the coaxial mid/tweeter, the speaker works very well and doesn't let the listening room get in the way.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Gradient 1.3 had 8" downfire monopole bass,12" dipole mid and shaded line of 1,75" monopole tweeters. Crossovers 250 and 1500Hz. So, the response is omnipole until cardioid around lower xo, then dipole and some cardioidish again at higher xo sliding to monopole with tweeters.

Revolution and 1.5 have dipole bass, cardioid midrange and monopole tweeter. Revolotion's bass can be rotated and 1.5's dipole is sideways.
1.4 has omnipole downfire bass, cardioid mid and monopole tweeter.

All these are a bit tricky, they require different positioning. Spectral power balance in a room is smooth and they sound "natural" 1.3 is my favourite and still very popular vintage speaker here in Finland! Revolution Active is perhaps the king of the hill.

http://www.gradient.fi/en/content/9-gradient-story
J are there any second hand 1.3s available in Scandinavia?
Thanks, Keith

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Yes quite often, and most of them have been refurbished at the factory. Most will be sold in a minute.

Last edited:
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Could you send me a link to the next pair you see?
Thank you very much indeed.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
Love the out-of-the-box thinking that calls for a midrange driver bigger than the woofer! (in the case of the Gradient 1.3). How often do you see that?

I typed too soon... panel-hybrid speakers would also typically have a midrange/tweeter panel bigger than the boxed woofer.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Alt-Wrong

Our new active Gradient Revolutions should arrive early in January.
http://www.gradient.fi/en/loudspeakers/5-gradient-revolution.html
Keith
hi keith- have the active rev's arrived yet?
i'm finally getting my helsinki's dialed in,
and this dipole bass is pretty tight, articulate, and when need be, rather slammin'.
it not only does the usual suspects of up-right and electric bass justice,
but kaiju mayhem, e.g., godzilla (2014), as well.
reminds me of the Tact 2.2x room-corrected bass i'd get back in the 00's.

this page was really helpful in understanding dipole set-up-
https://www.hifizine.com/2012/03/on-dipole-subwoofer-placement/

here's an interesting bit from there-
"As explained by John Kreskovsky in the technical article Dipole woofer on axis response in relation to listening distance, the 6 dB per octave drop in output of a dipole as frequency decreases (ed- which i believe the active revolutions compensate for) will continue to DC only as the distance from the dipole approaches infinity. At realistic distances, the low-frequency response of the dipole flattens out at a frequency determined by the distance. In other words: there is more low bass the closer the dipole is to the listener.
To measure this, I positioned a test dipole panel on an outside deck adjoining the house. The test panel is a relatively small flat panel of approximately 36 by 54 cm, housing a 12″ woofer with the woofer center 22 cm from the floor.
Figure 1 shows the measured responses at distances of 0.25, 0.5, 1, 2, and 4 meters.
Figure-1.-Response-vs-distance-to-dipole-subwoofer-at-0.25-0.5-1.0-2.0-4.0m.png

Figure 1. Response vs distance to dipole subwoofer at 0.25 (red),
0.5 (green), 1.0 (blue), 2.0 (orange), and 4.0 (mauve) meters."

pulling the helsinki's away from the back wall, which in effect, moved them closer to your
humble listener, really helped turn these into (or at least, get closer to) the full-range speakers
they were advertised to be, "35Hz -6dB".

looking forward to what you find with the arrival/listening of the active rev's.

edit: away from the back wall, closer to the listening position, and angled nicely...
gradient helsinki.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom