• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

reviews of the closed-back LCD headphones I could trust?

Florin Andrei

Since Tyll Hertsens decided to call it quits, I'm having trouble finding reviews I can trust.

I am currently looking for a great closed back pair of cans. I've tried Aeon Flow Closed, but there's a peak in the mid-highs, and somehow is sounds boring to me. I've tried the Meze 99 Classics, great overall, bass is a bit too boomy, doesn't really isolate noise that well.

I'm a big fan of Audeze and I own the LCD-2 fazor and the Mobius (well, I'm a bigger fan of Stax, but that's not applicable here). I'm looking at the LCD-XC and the LCD-2 Closed-Back. I'm having trouble finding decent reviews for these cans. Please help?

OP
Florin Andrei

Florin Andrei

That's always my preferred option, but in this case it would be a bit of a project.

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Are there any online retailers with generous return policies?

The issue is that one person's "boomy" is another person's "warm", and one person's "transparent" is another person's "harsh", and so on.

How the 'phones fit on the head also impacts the apparent sound.

I've bought too many headphones based on online reviews...

Erik

yIBZ8xc[1].png
Source

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I still have to measure the LCD2-closed and only measured (did not have the time) to listen to the LCD-XC yet so can't offer subjective sound review (yet)
Also the Eligia I have yet to measure and audition.
Am way behind on the inyteresting new arrivals.

I find the HD820 to be a good sounding headphone. But ... expensive.

For cheaps the NAD HP50 is reasonable (but a bit too laid back and lacking air a bit... and has a way low power rating and the wiring in the headband may break easily over time).

A bit more 'dynamic' sounding closed (well almost closed) headphone is the Beyerdynamic COP but needs to be modified.
It's in the cheaper priceclass and like the HP50 not a real high-flyer.
But decent for a closed headphone and IMO better than the too dark Meze 99

P.S. I did not always agree with Tyll on the sound so my impressions may not be valid when compared to Tyll's .
Reading you hear a peak in the upper mids of the AEON closed where I hear (and measure) a dip, chances are my reviews are invalid to you anyway.
Of course the dip is not as deep as in reality due to the lacking Pinna but can hear the dip. Interestingly Jude measures with a Pinna and found the same dip (also -10dB).

The mobius is a closed over ear (also have to measure and audition it). Not 'hifi' enough ?

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the Beyerdynamic T5P II, they're expensive but if you see a good deal they're very nice. I paid £399 for mine, at that price they're great but I wouldn't have paid the SRP (I'd add that I wouldn't pay that price for any headphone).

OP
Florin Andrei

Florin Andrei

I did not always agree with Tyll on the sound so my impressions may not be valid when compared to Tyll's .

I actually found myself agreeing with Tyll quite a lot.

The mobius is a closed over ear (also have to measure and audition it). Not 'hifi' enough ?

I gave those to my kids. :( But they're great! I like them.

The HD820 is way expensive. More expensive than my Stax and I would bet they're not even close in terms of performance.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Finding a closed headphone with open Stax sound will be a difficult task.

There may be no pleasing you :)

Mimizone

Got a used Audeze LCD-XC. I like them a lot. I don’t have much to compare it to. My B&O H6 gen 2 are definitely less precise, less define, less clear. The audeze leverage very well a clean amp and DAC. I tried the HD820 at Sennheiser with their expensive amp. The Audeze were better in my opinion. More satisfying. I tried the open LCD-X also during a test session in store with the LCD-XC too. I would have bought the X but needed a closed one to listen at home without bothering anybody. The XC are a bit more warm or have some sort of more present bass, which is nice if you like to feel the double bass in large orchestra playing contemporary classical music, or Cello concertos. It’s also great for jazz. The soundstage didn’t seem much smaller compared to the open back.
They also look nice with the wood.
Overall if you can find them used, consider that if the weight is not an issue for you. Retail price is a bit too much in my opinion though.
I am saving for a Stax in the future most likely, to listen to classical music. Still have to try one though :)
If you are in the San Francisco Bay Area, maybe we can have a listening session to compare :)

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I find the Beyerdynamic DT-150 with the DT-100 velour pads quite good.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Use eq, get any sound you like
Wish that were true. I too am using the Meze 99's that I like a lot, but the bass is boomy. I've eq'd it, but in the low end, whatever driver they're using, the driver just can't get back fast enough to its natural position for the next bass note. It's boomy unless I eq out the bass.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I find the Beyerdynamic DT-150 with the DT-100 velour pads quite good.

DT150 with DT100 pads:

fr-dt150-with-dt100-velours-pads.png

Ugly as hell and no Stax treble... a bit coarse as in not very refined treble. No sibilance nor harsh
Great for monitoring and even mixing.
Long cable with special connector.
250 Ohm version thus needs amping.
Tonally correct.

Dogen

Forum Donor
Use eq, get any sound you like

Good advice. Get comfortable cans that feel good and have a basic SQ you like and equalize. I’m still trying to figure out how far one can go with inexpensive phones and equalization. Comfort and isolation are key.

Erik

@SimpleTheater
Maybe you are doing something wrong. Try to use eq settings from one of the images below, depending on the model you own.

1561388233200.png 1561388251600.png

but in the low end, whatever driver they're using, the driver just can't get back fast enough to its natural position for the next bass note
I don't think this is how headphone drivers work.

@Florin Andrei
HD820 is also a pretty bad sounding headphone. Looks like Sennheiser did not care about sonical performance of this model, it's just a marketing-driven product.

1561389229200.png

Top Bottom