• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

reviews of the closed-back LCD headphones I could trust?

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Closed cans that sound good ?

From what I have auditioned so far, only closed can that I find I liked were the Focal Stellia. Quite simply because they were the least "closed back sounding" headphones I have every tried.

If you have a chance, would suggest giving it a listen at your local friendly headphone shop before committing. Different people's ears hear things differently, so what may be nice to me may not apply to you.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Closed cans that sound good ?

From what I have auditioned so far, only closed can that I find I liked were the Focal Stellia. Quite simply because they were the least "closed back sounding" headphones I have every tried.

If you have a chance, would suggest giving it a listen at your local friendly headphone shop before committing. Different people's ears hear things differently, so what may be nice to me may not apply to you.
I didn't try the Stellia, but the I'am now using Elegia.
Same feeling.

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't think this is how headphone drivers work.
Headphone drivers move a diaphragm. Whatever that diaphragm is made of (paper, etc) has to get back to it's natural state as fast as possible to keep if from sounding 'wobbly', 'muddy' etc, so that notes don't blend into each other.

I love my Meze 99's, but eq'ing them doesn't fix them. The idea that any headphone can be made to sound exactly like any other headphone, by pure eq, is ludicrous.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I found that one can improve the tonal balance of quite a few headphones.
Not all headphones react equally well to EQ though.
There are headphones that need just a bit of EQ and these can improve more than those that need more EQ.

Fix headphones and cure them of all ailments is impossible nor is it possible to make them sound the same in all SQ aspects.
One can get the tonal balance quite similar but treble quality, resonances etc. will still differ.

One can only 'fix' tonal balance aspects (to a certain degree).
Partial vibrations, resonances etc. are not fixable.

You cannot make a silk purse from a pigs ear.
One cannot make a HD201 sound like a HD800 with EQ but the other way around the emulation is better.

Exact EQ as comes out of measurements isn't going to be as exact as one might think.
Sure ... when measured on the same rig with correction the resulting line will be straight BUT that doesn't mean that is correct.
Measure the same headphone on another rig and you get sharp peaks and dips again but at other frequencies.
And again when on your head, depending on seal (certainly with closed headphones) the sound will differ yet again.
Sound may have improved overall but can still have weirdness.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DT150 with DT100 pads:

fr-dt150-with-dt100-velours-pads.png

Ugly as hell and no Stax treble... a bit coarse as in not very refined treble. No sibilance nor harsh
Great for monitoring and even mixing.
Long cable with special connector.
250 Ohm version thus needs amping.
Tonally correct.

That's about it, although I am not especially fond of the Stax treble. I like the DT150 better in that respect.

Erik

Headphone drivers move a diaphragm. Whatever that diaphragm is made of (paper, etc) has to get back to it's natural state as fast as possible to keep if from sounding 'wobbly', 'muddy' etc, so that notes don't blend into each other.
Sorry, but this makes no sense.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

nemesisrobot

Forum Donor
Have you seen Resolve Review's video on the LCD-2 Closed? I have experience with two (D8000, Ananda and soon the Arya) of the headphones he's reviewed and found that his findings were pretty close to my experience with them.

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Have you seen Resolve Review's video on the LCD-2 Closed? I have experience with two (D8000, Ananda and soon the Arya) of the headphones he's reviewed and found that his findings were pretty close to my experience with them.

I have been an audio enthusiast since 1978 and have owned an pretty unbelievable amount of equipment of all kinds. I have been dealing in high-end headphones for something like 10 years. I have owned, used, or dealt in many flagship headphones.

I do not agree with the Resolve Review review of the LCD-2 closed back (apart from the "they are heavy" part, because yes, they are heavy). The reviewer there repeatedly states that the LCD-2 closed-back are "bizarre" and that the Focal Elegia are "weird." That is hyperbole, and one would expect to see such comments echoed elsewhere if the hyperbole were warranted.

I do not agree that the LCD-2 sound anything less than excellent. I have a new dealer demonstrator pair that I purchased precisely to evaluate (and yes, I'm super lucky to get to deal in these products, except when I shell out good money for misfires-who-shall-not-be-named). I find the LCD-2 closed-backs superior to the 2x more expensive LCD-XC, a headphone which I found to have some in-cup resonances which I did not like. I think Audeze has found a way to fix that. I find the LCD-2 closed-back to be comparable in sound quality to my Senn HD800 and better in some ways. Nothing images like the HD800, to my ears, but the LCD-closed gets close and is far more pleasant and engaging for long-term listening. It has a airy, voluptuous sound, but is somewhat V-shaped, so that the bass is also strong. That is what the Resolve reviewer was getting at, but he spins it out of proportion. If you prefer to EQ to flatten out the response, you can raise the response from about 500hz to 1.5khz, perhaps 3-4 db. However, I listen at fairly low volume levels to protect my hearing as I age, so the V-shape ends up acting like a loudness contour. The vocals are still wonderful, however, and the bass is truly unbelievable for a headphone, just an absolute pleasure in comparison to the HD800, where applying EQ to improve the bass ends up increasing distortion noticeably. The LCD-2 closed-back have essentially no distortion, so doubled vocals, for example, jump out of the mix. It's quite something to experience that -- an inky-black background from a first-rate DAC/amp plus high resolution in the cans. I recommend the LCD-2 closed-back unreservedly IF YOU NEED A CLOSED-BACK. For open-back cans, the LCD-3 are the opening entry in cans that, to me, beat the HD800 overall, with the only exception being the HD800's imaging (again), which for classical music in particular is noticeable. I have a love-hate with the HD800, so I keep an old set on hand for the things they do so well.

At the end of the day, the extremely low distortion of planars, plus their effortless low end, speak loudly to me. My two cents.

But bear in mind, the LCD-2 are heavy. Just lie down and luxuriate in them.

Last edited:
OP
Florin Andrei

Florin Andrei

Just to provide some sort of completion:

I was surprised by the Meze 99 Classics. They are quite airy, they have very little of the claustrophobic sound signature of many closed-back headphones (Aeon Flow Closed, I'm looking at you). Bass is a bit too hot, but for non-critical listening (at the office) that's fine. Detailed enough, I guess, all things considered (such as price, etc). I just have a very big head - I need extra long rods on cans such as Audeze or ZMF - and the 99 are just a little bit too short; so, regretfully, I had to stop using them.

So I settled on the ZMF Eikon. A little warm, a little laid back, nothing too shocking after getting used to the LCD-2 sound. They don't sound too "closed" either. Not Stax, but detailed enough for non-critical listening. Camphor wood smells nice, too. :)

Erik

@Florin Andrei
Interesting, because according to Harman listening tests the current generation of Meze 99 with the new pads are one of the worst sounding headphones on the market. They measure quite badly too.

Meze 99 Classics.jpg

THW

Forum Donor
@Florin Andrei
Interesting, because according to Harman listening tests the current generation of Meze 99 with the new pads are one of the worst sounding headphones on the market. They measure quite badly too.

View attachment 31152

just out of curiosity but how did the HD 600 fare in Harman listening tests?

I’d look it up myself but I can’t seem to find anything particularly comprehensive that isn’t locked behind a paywall

solderdude

Grand Contributor
just out of curiosity but how did the HD 600 fare in Harman listening tests?

I’d look it up myself but I can’t seem to find anything particularly comprehensive that isn’t locked behind a paywall

Bass shy but otherwise good:
Sennheiser%252520HD600%252520-%252520ow.png

HD600-Or.png

Below not O-W but my own correction

hd600.png

yep... bass shy but otherwise also O.W. thinks its fine.
Of course there is no +10 to +15dB around 20kHz which HATS measurements with O-W seem to suggest.
It is nicely 0dB there, measurement error. This is why Oratory greys out everything above 10kHz and I don't have to.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I don't actually know but are the 'tested headphones' the actual ones or a single headphone with an emulated tonal balance of said headphones ?
If the latter we don't really know how accurate that was and if all aspects are properly emulated (if they even can be) such as partial membrane and resonances.

geek101

Forum Donor
Could the LCD-2 Closed Back be classified as more neutral or would Aeon Flow Closed be more neutral. I have been listening to Mr Speakers Mad Dog for a while now and enjoy them quite a bit for semi-open headphones. They do not sound as good as HD-600 overall but I do seem to enjoy the very low distortion of planar headphones and they can go loud and better at bass compared to HD-600 is what I remember. Also I noticed that Mad Dog being semi-open I can use them at work :).

Seems like for closed back current champions are LCD-2 Closed and LCD-XC followed by Aeon Closed. I am contemplating which one to pick up first to compare with Mad Dog's. Any suggestions?. I like neutral, low distortion, large sound stage presentation.

Top Bottom