• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Reviews of metrum dacs

rkt31

Why there are no reviews available anywhere of metrum dacs ? Is there any plan to test one by asr ? They seem to use some different tech than other r2r dacs.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why there are no reviews available anywhere of metrum dacs ? Is there any plan to test one by asr ? They seem to use some different tech than other r2r dacs.

Buy one and send it to Amir. Thats the usual route unless manufacturer sends one in and Amir has time.

gvl

Major Contributor
There are some measurements on other forums. They don't look particularly impressive distortion wise. Linearity and noise would be interesting to see. But, didn't they go bankrupt?

maxxevv

Major Contributor

You got something to do with them?

Its not coincidental that they are "relaunching" in another week from what I can see.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No way I’m paying for a Metrum DAC with absolute ZERO customer support and ZERO way to send it back for repairs. Local dealers can’t even communicate with Metrum after that internal management scandal with the company

gvl

Major Contributor
All I can say I'm very glad I dumped my Pavane some time back before the news broke. There is now Sonnet Audio that tries to reiterate Cees's design ideas, so hopefully we can get their's Morpheus measured here. It is interesting that the Sonnet DAC modules are using sockets similar to those used by ISA cards in the early PCs, if memory serves those were prone to oxidation and bad connectivity, which makes it an interesting choice for a precision analog device.

OP
R

rkt31

All I can say I'm very glad I dumped my Pavane some time back before the news broke. There is now Sonnet Audio that tries to reiterate Cees's design ideas, so hopefully we can get their's Morpheus measured here. It is interesting that the Sonnet DAC modules are using sockets similar to those used by ISA cards in the early PCs, if memory serves those were prone to oxidation and bad connectivity, which makes it an interesting choice for a precision analog device.
pavane has some lovers I see on internet. what was your impression ? I find metrum dacs to lack clarity to transients.

OP
R

rkt31

There are some measurements on other forums. They don't look particularly impressive distortion wise. Linearity and noise would be interesting to see. But, didn't they go bankrupt?
can you please share the links ? I am not able to find the reason why metrum is so popular in some indian audiophile groups ?

gvl

Major Contributor
Google Metrum Amethyst measurements, there should be a link to SBAF. I have mixed feelings about the Pavane, on one hand it was easy to listen to because of it's laid back sound, on the other I just couldn't make it sound clean in the treble no matter how much I oversampled externally not to mention when running it NOS. In the end I concluded that I didn't want to own an expensive flawed device and sold it.

OP
R

rkt31

Ok, thanks ! You mean despite being laid back it still had noisy treble .

gvl

Major Contributor
Noisy isn't the word I would use to describe it, it just lacked clarity and precision in a non fatigueing kind of way. I figure some find it pleasant, but it sounded wrong to my ears. It was reasonably well detailed however, so I suspect its linearity and dynamic range/noise were not a disaster. Mine was the original version, later they doubled the number of ladders per channel with the new modules so it could have brought some improvements.

Last edited:

Wolvebain

I am very keen on your ASR's take on the Morpheus.. VERY KEEN :D --it is at the top of the list for my next DAC. Sadly, due to where I live and there not being any agents, it would be a blind purchase :(

gvl

Major Contributor
A used Metrum Amethyst or even Flynt with 24-bit modules will give you a pretty good idea what to expect from higher end Metrum and Sonnet offerings for significantly less $$$$, you may want to try it first to get an idea if this is the type of device you can live with long term. And just to be clear, they are technically flawed devices due to the lack of a proper reconstruction filter which is being marketed as a feature.

Wolvebain

A used Metrum Amethyst or even Flynt with 24-bit modules will give you a pretty good idea what to expect from higher end Metrum and Sonnet offerings for significantly less $$$$, you may want to try it first to get an idea if this is the type of device you can live with long term. And just to be clear, they are technically flawed devices due to the lack of a proper reconstruction filter which is being marketed as a feature.
Thank bud.. will check out more of those DAC's reviews, etc. (still a mission to source that where I'm at)

I am/was hoping that the Morpheus is similar to my previous AGD NOS11, real/natural sounding (instraments, vocal timber, etc.), with great speed/responsiveness, very open sound stage, great separation and detail.. without sounding artificial/forced/synthetic.... just a few levels better.

gvl

Major Contributor
with great speed/responsiveness, very open sound stage, great separation and detail.. without sounding artificial/forced/synthetic

I don't know what all that means, sorry, but it has been shown here and elsewhere that AGD products are technical wrecks and borderline scam.

Vhond

Only in Dutch (but with scope and computer measurements) of older hardware

gvl

Major Contributor
I've just stumbled upon JA's measurements of Sonnet Morpheus:

Not too shabby for an R2R solution the NOS aspect of it notwithstanding. Jitter looks odd but Cees alleges this is an artifact of JTest signal when played on a NOS filter-less DAC. If memory serves SBAF showed much worse measurements of this DAC.

Last edited:

Vhond

It would be nice to see some measurements for a DAC2 versus DAC3 configuration (for example an Onyx)

Top Bottom