• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Reviewer's Music

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company

EddieFreak

A recent purchase as 24/96 Apple Lossless files from HDtracks is Water Night (Decca 001663602), an album of the composer conducting his own works. The performance for double choir by the Eric Whitacre Singers of When David Heard, the Hebrew king's lamentation on the death of his son Absalom, is definitive. From simple scale passages, Whitacre builds tone clusters that might be thought dissonant but are instead delicious. Aided by the clarity and solid stereo imaging of the 5Ts, I could readily hear how, at the first adagio, the staggered entries of the singers on the words my son under a held A-natural in the sopranos built a climactic atonal block chord expressing David's anguish. And when each singer subsequently re-enters across the stage, beginning with a solo tenor on the right, the vocal fragments paint the reverberant acoustic with the spatial equivalent of that block chord (footnote 1).
Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/aerial-acoustics-5t-loudspeaker#KxtwT1soez81D8bW.99

View attachment 5631

Really enjoyable music and well recorded album. Recording level is too low though forcing me to turn the volume up fair bit which also amplified background noise. I am being picky here though. It is definitely recommended album.

Got a new Topping D70s DAC and thought this would be a good test. But I'm a little distraught with what I'm hearing. I hoping it's the recording and not my equipment.

On the track When David Heard I hear distortion when the singers hit their crescendo. For example somewhere around the 10:25 mark. It almost sounds like the mics are reverberating. I hear it through my HD600 and my speakers. I'm using Qobuz-> Rasberry Pi -> D70 -> L30. Could someone confirm that it's in the recording? I would really appreciate it.

bevok

Got a new Topping D70s DAC and thought this would be a good test. But I'm a little distraught with what I'm hearing. I hoping it's the recording and not my equipment.

On the track When David Heard I hear distortion when the singers hit their crescendo. For example somewhere around the 10:25 mark. It almost sounds like the mics are reverberating. I hear it through my HD600 and my speakers. I'm using Qobuz-> Rasberry Pi -> D70 -> L30. Could someone confirm that it's in the recording? I would really appreciate it.
A most interesting piece. For what it’s worth (not much) I had a listen on WH-1000Xm4’s and Sonos Fives (lossless on the fives) and didn’t hear anything notable at that point. I’m sure someone with one of those ‘revealing’ systems would provide better confirmation.
Beautiful music in any case.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

First thing I would do is put my old DAC in the chain and see what it sounds like.

My guess is it isn't your equipment. I have noted something very similar when two members of Nickel Creek are singing a part rather loudly and the third joins in toward the end of "Reasons Why" on their original self-titled release...and if I recall correctly, on one cut on their second release.

Roderik

Berlioz: Symphonie fantastique. Concertgebouworkest, Colin Davis.
Bizet: Symphonie in C, Jeu d'enfants. Debussy: Dances for harp and orchestra. Concertgebouworkest, Bernard Haitink.
Wagner: der Ring des Nibelungen. Wiener Philharmoniker, George Solti.
Handel: Saul (live). English Baroque Soloist, John Eliot Gardiner.
Schumann: Szenen aus Goethes Faust. Concertgebouworkest, Nikolaus Harnoncourt.

jtavy

As you all know, hardware reviews invariably have references to music used during the evaluation. I think sometimes they are empty references meant to put meat on the review bone in absence and to show off one's musical knowledge. :) But still, I find quite a few gems in scanning the reviews for music.

So I thought I create a thread and have everyone contribute. Let's put a link to the review page and if you can, a youtube of the specific track. If not, just cut and paste the album/artist/track and I will do it.
I am 75 so I will used different music than most. I go back to some early Sinatra recordings with big bands as benchmarks. I also use some of Diana Krall's recordings, Tony Bennett's The Art of Excellence, and his records with Bill Evans and his Duets. Piano work I use Pete Malinverni as his engineers do a great job capturing a Steinway. With Sinatra, Bennett, and Krall it is easy to hear the compression and peak limiting on other's new records. Sad but true. Pick up the new Michael Buble's Higher and tell me what you think???

It just seems to me that too many engineers are using their plug-ins just because they have them. The greater the talent the less one needs to do in the booth. I try to do very little in my recording work for others. Here is some of my own work and how I prefer to record.

metasharp

Hello,

I propose you to build a thread where we could all share musics references of tracks specifically nice to test our HiFi chains. Of course, you must listen to them in FLAC or equivalent lossless format. In some cases, a low quality track can be interesting as well as pointed out.
Format goes as follows :
Artist - Title (disc, year or whatever relevant information to have it uniquely identified) Genre
Remarks about the track

Here I'll start with some tracks I often use:

Alaguan - It's kickin' in (The Alaguan EP, Radio mix) Happy Hardcore
Deep bass, Melody over deep bass

Boney M - Rasputin (Top 40 - Boney M. & Friends CD 1) Disco
Good stereo, clean bass, nice dynamic

Eagles - Hotel California (MTV unplugged 1994) Rock
Separation, Deep emotion

Eva Cassidy - What a wonderful world (The Best Of Eva Cassidy) Lounge
Separation, Deep emotion

Ezkill - Not this time (The Ezkill EP, Extended Mix) Happy Hardcore

Infected Mushroom - Classical Mushroom (Israliens II - Bizarro) Acid Psychedelic Trance
Flying tripping sounds

Jacques Brel - Jojo (Infiniment) Variety
Voice

KO3 & Relect - Move your body (KO3 & Relect) Happy Hardcore

Maria Mena - I was made for loving you (Cause and Effect) Rock
Voice, Separation

Mötley Crue - Anarchy in the UK (Supersonic And Demonic Relics) Heavy Metal
Guitars, Typical song of the genre

Nightwish - Storytime (Imaginaerum) Symphonic Metal
Voice, Typical song of the genre

Pat Benatar - Hearbreaker (Ultimate Collection) Hard Rock

Pentatonix - Daft Punk (PTX) A Cappella, Pop
Bass, Voice, Dynamic

Re-con - Br3akage treading water (Re-con & Chris Henry remix) Happy Hardcore
Bass, Separation

Superbus - Ca mousse (Wow) Rock
Voice, Small sounds

Toshiharu Yamanishi - Back to the fire - Hydra (Thunder Force III OSV, Vertiphon 2010 Remaster) Video Game
Clean Separation

Your turn!

Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's already a longstanding thread for this here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...or-speaker-and-room-eq-testing.6/post-1602121

And if you want my personal opinion, good-sounding perfectly-mixed songs are rarely good for testing a system, in the sense of finding out its strengths and weaknesses.

Songs with extreme or marginal sonic content are better, if you're not going to just use tones and pink noise. Very deep, or weak bass, poorly mixed midrange so that separation is actually poor, almost-sibilant vocals, etc.

metasharp

Amir thread is mainly focused on harman tracks. I'm asking for members personal test tracks to widen the range.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Hello,

I propose you to build a thread where we could all share musics references of tracks specifically nice to test our HiFi chains. Of course, you must listen to them in FLAC or equivalent lossless format. In some cases, a low quality track can be interesting as well as pointed out.

Here I'll start with some tracks I often use:

Alaguan - It's kickin' in (The Alaguan EP, Radio mix) Happy Hardcore

Boney M - Rasputin (Top 40 - Boney M. & Friends CD 1) Disco
Good stereo, clean bass, nice dynamic

Eagles - Hotel California (MTV unplugged 1994) Rock
Separation, Deep emotion

Eva Cassidy - What a wonderful world (The Best Of Eva Cassidy) Lounge
Separation, Deep emotion

Ezkill - Not this time (The Ezkill EP, Extended Mix) Happy Hardcore

Infected Mushroom - Classical Mushroom (Israliens II - Bizarro) Acid Psychedelic Trance
Flying tripping sounds

Jacques Brel - Jojo (Infiniment) Variety
Voice

KO3 & Relect - Move your body (KO3 & Relect) Happy Hardcore

Maria Mena - I was made for loving you (Cause and Effect) Rock
Voice, Separation

Mötley Crue - Anarchy in the UK (Supersonic And Demonic Relics) Heavy Metal
Guitars, Typical song of the genre

Nightwish - Storytime (Imaginaerum) Symphonic Metal

Pat Benatar - Hearbreaker (Ultimate Collection) Hard Rock

Pentatonix - Daft Punk (PTX) A Cappella, Pop
Bass, Voice, Dynamic

Re-con - Br3akage treading water (Re-con & Chris Henry remix) Happy Hardcore
Bass, Separation

Superbus - Ca mousse (Wow) Rock
Voice, Small sounds

Toshiharu Yamanishi - Back to the fire - Hydra (Thunder Force III OSV, Vertiphon 2010 Remaster) Video Game
Clean Separation

Your turn!
Your thread has been merged with this existing thread. FYI!

metasharp

Thanks I didn't find an existing one :)

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Thanks I didn't find an existing one :)
No problem. Trying to keep all this stuff together so readers don’t have to search through dozens of different threads. Part of the job. ;)

Greenman

As a new member I've started looking through some old threads. I ended up spending a fantastic Sunday yesterday working through this thread and listening to as many of the recommendations as I could find on Qobuz, what a treasure trove, love it. Here are some thoughts on a few of the highlights for me, I am aware many of these posts/recs were made 6 years ago, but good music is good music......

Bobby McFerrin - Spontaneous Inventions
Loved this, sounded great, amazing vocal performances. However I listened to most of the rest of the album, it's mostly on similar grounds and is great...but after about 4 or 5 tracks it was just a bit too much, too similar. It's not something I would listen to regularly, but a couple of tracks every few months. A bit like Katie Melua the unusual vocals initially attract you, but after a few tracks just grate somewhat.

Hawkwind - Space ritual.
Interesting disagreements here. I love this album, its not what I would consider a reference level recording, but Lemmy's bass guitar throughout is superb, the epitome of space rock.

Paul Desmond - Desmond Blue
Loved that track and sounded great on the Qobuz stream I used, however the other tracks on the album didn't really appeal at all, too much like elevator music.

JOHN MAYER - Where the Light is
Already had and knew this album. Many tracks are from his Continuum studio album which is excellently recorded and is his best album IMO. Well worth trying as potential Reference material.

Burak Malçok - Sakli Nefes
What a great sounding track, very nice recording, interesting material.

Robert Miles/Trilok Gurtu
Crushing bass, nicely recorded.

Doug MacLeod -Come to Find
I couldn't find the album on Qobuz, but I found the track on album 'Acoustic Blues' loved it. listened to the whole album, nothing pushing any boundaries here but just well recorded and performed acoustic blues, I will be exploring some more of his catalogue as he is not an artist I am familiar with.

All the above @amirm, thanks for pulling these refs together.

Béla Fleck and the Flecktones - Flight of the Cosmic Hippo
What the heck is this!! Banjo virtuoso mixed with Jazz and rock, sounds like your worst nightmare but it's brilliant. God only knows what that track would be like with even more bass because it's pretty trouser flapping as it is. The whole album though is great and pretty well recorded. Also been dipping onto their previous album which also seems good. Id never heard of this guy but it seems he's done dozens of albums collaborating with various other artists. This to me was find of the day thanks @Chris A

Tengger Cavalry - Blood Sacrifice Shaman / Heilung - Futha/ SuidAkrA - Book of Dowth/
Metal with Celtic/folk and other atypical elements. The tracks highlighted were great, digging further material has some promise at its best.

Dalriada - Napisten Hava
This seemed the most consistently strong album (too me) of the Folk Metal you highlight,

Swallow The Sun - Songs from the North I, II & III

Again - more for me to delve into, I quite like this.

Black Market Brass - Undying Thirst
What the heck? Like the Bela Fleck albums, I'm not quite sure what this is but I quite like it. Track NBT seemed to have a bit of distortion/clipping distortion in a couple of places though. Love discovering these 'strange' albums

James Blake - James Blake - Limit To Your Love
More trouser flapping bass. Put his Overgrown album on my listening list.

Thanks @foxxx0 for the above recs.

Infected Mushroom - Classical Mushroom (Israliens II - Bizarro)
Not sure I found the right track, but I delved into their catalogue and have 'I am the Supervisor' on my list to explore further, seemed good stuff Thanks @metasharp

Anyway that's enough for now. Love this type of thread, thanks to all those that made suggestions. I did listen to most of the albums that anyone suggested that I didn't already know, 12 hours yesterday in fact...

xaon60

E.S. Posthumus

Cartographer (Piri Reis Remixes)
Capture d'écran 2023-06-29 174924.png

Very very good sound quality!
(I don't like all the tracks though)

Mention to Nasivern Pi who is magnificent

Available on Qobuz and from Roon

Lovely narrative song, the reverb, I think, is electronic , but with a nice granular quality, and the bass line wraps round you like a warm blanket, lots of contrasts in this one.

Greenman

you are welcome.
As a newbie to this site, and streaming in general, I have also recently listened to your playlist as well (the Qobuz on in any case). Some nice sounding stuff on there, a few comments.

Cody High - very ‘present’ recording, thought it was going to be solo piano, nice surprise when the percussion arrived, bet this sounds great on most systems.
Sara Bareilles - similarly ‘present’ recoding, nice.
Marcin - now this caught my system out…I was playing at reasonable volume and could not reproduce that prodigious bass at reference volumes ..gulp
Marian Hill - like this arrangement, deep bass again
Dominique Fils-Aime - liked this, liked the album, and her other albums.
George Benson - bit of a love hate with him for me, usually too Jazz or too easy listening for me, but sometimes is just nicely in that sweet spot in the middle and his guitar work is always worth a listen. This is ok.
Chris Jones - very good sounding recording.
The comet is coming - I’m just getting into more electronic music (Infected Mushroom etc). Checking out more of their stuff, some interesting stuff.
San Pacho - as above, interesting twist on electronic music, will be investigating further.
Shaed - like it investigating further

several of the playlist are no longer available on Qobuz

Thanks for the list some interesting avenues to investigate.

gsp1971

Forum Donor
Please please keep this thread alive.

Not only do we discover new music but we also develop skills on how to listen critically.

GS

Top Bottom