• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review: Rythmik F12G Direct Servo Subwoofer

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I decided to split this one off from my other thread here because it is a full-up review of the Rythmik F12G Direct Servo Subwoofer and I thought some of you guys who haven't been interested in my other updates might still care about this review. I wrote this for HTS years ago but the photos are NLA there and I decided to bring it over to my site so it doesn't get lost forever.

Full breakdown of the FG12 subwoofer from raw drive unit analysis to enclosure analysis and amplifier usefulness. This is by far the most in-depth review I've ever written. I think I spent a full 3 days on this at the time, which was April 2013. Heck, it took me 3 hours just to copy/paste everything to my new site. But if you're looking for a great home subwoofer setup I still recommend this.

Hope you all enjoy.

https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/rythmik-f12g-direct-servo-subwoofer/

1_IMG_6353.JPG

Last edited:

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks a ton for posting this. I've been really intrigued by the Rythmik servo subs for their functionality and potential for integration so a review such as yours is enormously helpful. (For the moment I seem to have my SVS dialed in to my system quite well, and my frequent upgraditis is under control for hopefully at least a week or two, but I'm definitely keeping this page bookmarked!)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Thank you. Nice to have a Kippel available. I would like to buy a pair of L12's but they are back ordered, and I have no idea if the tragedy in China will slow things down more.

suttondesign

Forum Donor
i am using a newer f12 and find it excellently smooth. the phase adjustment has been critical for my setup. and the output capability far exceeds what i need.

mitchco

Audio Company

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
@mitchco the extreme high dynamic range solution....

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Thanks for this review. Great job!

I have dual Rythmik L12's paired with KEF LS50's, sound great. And dual F18's paired with a large set of JBL cinema loudspeakers: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-...audio-subwoofer-thread-1223.html#post57390652

I have heard many subs over the years and love the Rythmiks the best. Their transient response with their servo design is literally textbook perfect.

Didn't know you were a part of this forum. I'm the guy that was posting on diya about using a binaural recording device to supplement my reviews. :)

Thanks for the feedback.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
As I said in my OP, this is by far the most in-depth review I'd ever done. Most of my testing has been focused on drive units; not loudspeakers. So when it came time to write this review it was important to me to get as much information about the product as I could. That's why I broke the review down in to testing the drive unit, the enclosure, the amplifier settings and the overall performance of the subwoofer/enclosure/amp "system".

And this is the same kind of review I would like to do for future loudspeaker/subwoofer testing.

On one hand I could argue that all we need is the basic FR measurements to see what it is we are buying. I could argue the CEA2034 measurements are easily adequate for the end user's buying decision. But on the other hand, the engineer in me wants to understand why a speaker or subwoofer setup may have anomalies and therefore testing of the individual drive units (and enclosure, if possible) would be a nice extra step. Then going a step further like I did in this review; testing and measuring the different features of a power speaker/subwoofer so everyone can see how the DUT can be used for their own needs.

I don't know if I'll be able to afford everything I need to do this complete of a review for my future tests. I'm still waiting to get a final quote from Klippel and whether or not I'll need to seek donations to help fund it. But that's my goal.

thomasjast

Good review, thanks for sharing. A couple of it's/its errors in the text, but otherwise good writing.

Always been curious about this brand, as they were in the running when I bought my SVS units a couple of years ago. Things change a lot when you can't get them in Canada at a fair price and have no returns, etc.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Good review, thanks for sharing. A couple of it's/its errors in the text, but otherwise good writing.

I'll correct those. I have a hard time proof reading myself. In a weird way it's like I'm bragging on myself when I read back my own reviews... like "oh, I'm so cool, look at me", so I just feel weird doing that. I'm sure that seems silly. Between that and focusing so much on the technical aspect of the reviews, it's easy for me to overlook silly errors. But I'll try to work on that in the future. ;)

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
As I said in my OP, this is by far the most in-depth review I'd ever done. Most of my testing has been focused on drive units; not loudspeakers. So when it came time to write this review it was important to me to get as much information about the product as I could. That's why I broke the review down in to testing the drive unit, the enclosure, the amplifier settings and the overall performance of the subwoofer/enclosure/amp "system".

And this is the same kind of review I would like to do for future loudspeaker/subwoofer testing.

On one hand I could argue that all we need is the basic FR measurements to see what it is we are buying. I could argue the CEA2034 measurements are easily adequate for the end user's buying decision. But on the other hand, the engineer in me wants to understand why a speaker or subwoofer setup may have anomalies and therefore testing of the individual drive units (and enclosure, if possible) would be a nice extra step. Then going a step further like I did in this review; testing and measuring the different features of a power speaker/subwoofer so everyone can see how the DUT can be used for their own needs.

I don't know if I'll be able to afford everything I need to do this complete of a review for my future tests. I'm still waiting to get a final quote from Klippel and whether or not I'll need to seek donations to help fund it. But that's my goal.
I'm sure you'll get support for it. Long reviews like this one set their own standards in terms of depth and knowledge and are fantastic to read.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I'm sure you'll get support for it. Long reviews like this one set their own standards in terms of depth and knowledge and are fantastic to read.

I appreciate that.

I really am proud of the effort I made in this. But now that so much time has passed I see some things I'd like to do differently or just do at all. So I look forward to getting that chance with other speakers in the future.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool! What year was that? What's your name? I've been to most of his over the years... but I'm always bad with remembering names.
Had to be 5 years ago or more at this point - Jason I went as a guest not as a car audio guy

Bhh

Forum Donor
I'm in the final stages of deciding between one or two Rythmik or SVS subs and have opened a conversation with Amir to have it shipped to him for testing prior to coming to me. I look forward to reading this review in detail, thanks for posting.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I'm in the final stages of deciding between one or two Rythmik or SVS subs and have opened a conversation with Amir to have it shipped to him for testing prior to coming to me. I look forward to reading this review in detail, thanks for posting.

Depending on your timeline, if Amir is unable to test it, I would be game. I could do the same thing I did for this sub.

Reactions: Bhh

Bhh

Forum Donor
He said he is game, I just need to double check some dimensions, get final wife approval for size and finish (living room) and make a decision. If he decides against it, I'll PM you. Thanks for the offer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom