• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review of the MCM Custom Audio Model 50-8394 IR Remote Volume control

KEFCarver

This is a review of the MCM Custom Audio Model 50-8394 IR Remote Volume control.

It costs about $50 and can be purchased here:

https://www.newark.com/mcm-custom-audio/50-8394/line-level-volume-control-rohs/dp/79X4195

It was brought to my attention by the Skylabs Audio YouTube channel:

Our Top 5 Accessories for Vintage Stereo Systems - YouTube

The IR Remote volume control (IRVC) can be installed in either the tape monitor loop or between the Pre-Out/Main In jacks of a receiver, integrated amp or preamp and allows you to control the volume via a supplied IR remote. This is particularly useful for those who have vintage gear without a remote control for the volume or mute. You could also use it to control the level of a signal from the tape monitor loop output going to a subwoofer. I did not see any way to change the channel of the remote and IRVC, so you could only control one of them in the same room. Having an IRVC has nothing to do with wanting to turn into a couch potato, just convenience. I am always a little suspect of audio devices that don’t cost much degrading the signal path (even ones that do cost a bunch)- even though it is not as critical for vintage gear in some ways. A friend of mine purchased one and gave it to me to test, the results of which I will share in this review.

For $50 you get an IR remote control, the IR remote controlled volume unit, an owner’s manual and a 12VDC wall wart for power. Here is the front of the unit:

1680637527610.png

And the back:

1680637578503.png

And the remote:

1680637621234.png

My measurements were made using the QuantAsylum QA402 audio analyzer. Here is its 20hz-20khz SNR/THD performance where the 4’ input/output cables are connected to each other with a 2V input:

1680637655324.png

Are here is the Frequency response for the same conditions:

1680637686300.png

The IRVC owner’s manual states that the maximum input that can be applied is 1.65V, which was then applied to its input and the Volume set for a maximum (0db attenuation) and this was the result:

1680637765527.png

It is nice that there is no power supply hum from the supplied wallwart. The SNR and THD looks very reasonable, though the THD+N is high, but maybe not so noticeable with vintage gear. The frequency response was measured with a 500mv signal applied with the IRVC Volume set for a maximum:

1680637803995.png

No real change in the Frequency response, which is great. I upped the input signal level to 2V and with the Volume set for 0dB attenuation:

1680637848936.png

Really no change from the case where a 1.65V signal was applied. Things get pretty ugly when the input signal is raised to 2.2V and the Volume set for 0dB attenuation:

1680637898895.png

While the IRVC can be used between the Pre-Out/Main In jacks, care should be taken such that not more than 2V comes out of the preamp into the IRVC- I would prefer using the tape monitor loop for this reason.

Each pressing of the Volume Up/Down button changes the attenuator by 1dB, and it is very linear- at least from 1-15dB, and the blue power LED blinks for each pressing. If you depress the Volume Down button for a few seconds it will reach the minimum volume level and stop flashing. The blue LED is very bright and some folks may find it bothersome. I should point out that when power is removed from the IRVC, it returns to the last volume state it was in, which is good if you want to plug the walwart into a switched ac outlet on the preamp, receiver or integrated amp. Here is the THD/SNR plot with a 1khz, 2V input applied and the Volume set for 10dB of attenuation:

1680637937982.png

Holding the Volume down until it reaches the minimum volume yields about 78dB of attenuation:

1680637969975.png

Surprisingly, pressing the MUTE button brings the attenuation to 91dB:

1680638003123.png

The response to the Multitone test with 0dB of attenuation shows about 15bits of distortion free range:

1680638053974.png

The crosstalk was measured between the Left and Right channels. I this case a 1.65V signal was applied to the Left Channel and the Right Channel’s input was terminated, and the Volume set of 0dB of attenuation, showing a separation of >70dB:

1680638090931.png

The final piece of data shows the THD vs Frequency for a couple different input signal levels (in dBV), with the volume set to maximum. The THD is the worst for the higher input signals, but still less than 0.1%:

1680638206227.png

In summary, the MCM Custom Audio IR Remote Volume control does a decent job of providing a cost-effective solution to adding remote-control volume capability to audio gear, without much degradation of the listening experience- IMHO.

net-david

IMG_0058.png
I bought one of these years ago to use with a vintage Marantz 2220B receiver. Unfortunately, I didn’t get around to using it before the return window closed and it was DOA. I did open it up and found it was based on the Princeton Technology Corp. PT2259 volume control chip. The level really needs to be kept at 1v or less.

OP
KEFCarver

KEFCarver

Thanks for supplying the information about what chip is inside it. The crosstalk I measured was worse, but that was for the entire system and not just the chip. Much better THD at 1V or less, but still not bad at 2V.

Top Bottom