• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review of the Jean-Michel Jarre album Oxygen between 15 versions : Vinyls (Original, MOFI, Japan...), CDs, Streaming, DVD, 40th anniversary release.

Jean.Francois

Hello

Today I present you the comparison of the album Oxygen between 15 versions including 5 vinyls (Original, MOFI, Japan, Blue, Trilogy) , 3 CDs (Original, remastered, Trilogy), a cassette, a stereo and 5.1 DVD and 4 streaming versions. We find in these versions the very nice box of the 40th anniversary of Oxygen.

Oxygene - small.jpg

What is interesting is that each album brings its surprises.
The original version of the album has been remastered for streaming compared to the CD edition.
Therefore, in streaming, the remastered version for the 40th anniversary (DR9) is less compressed in dynamics than the original version (DR6)!
This is the opposite of what we find on the CD support, with the original version (DR12) which is the less compressed in dynamics than the remastered version for the 40th anniversary (DR9).

Comparaison Original -  trilogie et Qobuz with text2small.jpg

If you want a quality original version in digital, you must choose the CD

In this review, we can also see the impact of the equalizations made in mastering on the sound image. For this album, the strong corrections reduce the perception of depth when listening.

A small wink to the DVD version Oxygene 3D (Live In Your Living Room) which proposes a stereo track and also in 5.1, and with a 3D version of the video to be viewed with 2 pairs of anaglyph glasses included with the DVD!

Oxygen dvd5small.jpg

To get an idea of the impact when listening, you can listen to the samples , and find all the measurements (DR, Spectrum, waveform...) here.

DSJR

Major Contributor
The original Polydor UK CD issue sounded rather 'dirty' at the time shortly after CD players became available and I remember comparing it to the Disque Drefus CD issue which came a very few years later, which was so much better it was almost as if it had been remixed (maybe it had...). A tragedy that 'they' feel the need to crush the dynamics and subtlety out of this recording as it always sounded best listened to gently in a chilled vibe...

JMJ is a well established international music 'star' now, so surely he'd have *some* control by now over his releases?

Andysu

Major Contributor
had the oxygene cd dvd 5.1 since it was released 2010

31665_420823030148_6963438_n.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The original Polydor UK CD issue sounded rather 'dirty' at the time shortly after CD players became available and I remember comparing it to the Disque Drefus CD issue which came a very few years later, which was so much better it was almost as if it had been remixed (maybe it had...).

Oxygene was the very first CD for me bought in 1983. I had the CD before we had a CD player to play it on! And I still have the disc, in perfect condition. :)

My original Oxygene and Equinoxe (pictured below) are the earliest releases (smooth edge, heavy cases)- Polydor (Disques Dreyfus) West German of course.

There was no UK factory, so the release you remembered as 'dirty' would be the same as mine if you heard it at or near the release of CD. I've also got a few later pressings and the remastered one which came out around 1997 (the green label one). The 1997 remaster I never listen to as it isn't remotely as good as the 1983 original.

IMG_0862.jpg
IMG_0864.jpg
IMG_0866.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
@Jean.Francois

Interesting this French re-issue says "digital recording" when it was an early AAD.

1669004525963.png

And this is wrong.

1669005237391.png

The Scott Hull Masterdisk New York remastering was done in 1997. I've had the disc since then and it is the green faced one in the trio pictured above.

As an aside, all my CDs were stolen around that year and my girlfriend at the time bought me that actual disc of Oxygene as a replacement as I was so devastated with the loss. But, I tracked down my stolen discs, got the guy arrested and got most of them back including my precious original Oxygene. The thief did 5 years in jail.

Last edited:
Reactions: ENG

MAB

Major Contributor
@Jean.Francois

Interesting this French re-issue says "digital recording" when it was an early AAD.

View attachment 244977

And this is wrong.

View attachment 244978

The Scott Hull Masterdisk New York remastering was done in 1997. I've had the disc since then and it is the green faced one in the trio pictured above.

As an aside, all my CDs were stolen around that year and my girlfriend at the time bought me that actual disc of Oxygene as a replacement as I was so devastated with the loss. But, I tracked down my stolen discs, got the guy arrested and got most of them back including my precious original Oxygene. The thief did 5 years in jail.
This is a great album. Glad you got it back, a replacement just doesn't have that nostalgic value. And soundtrack to a great movie, Gallipoli. But I imagine you already know this...

Top Bottom