• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review of the HifiBerry DAC2 HD sound card for Raspberry Pi

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That's thin ice at ASR. It's the same story over and over again: a subjective review without any objective proof.

OP
H

hastings

That's thin ice at ASR. It's the same story over and over again: a subjective review without any objective proof.
I completely agree with you. Nevertheless I purchased it. The only reason I bought it to see if I can hear any difference myself compared to the dacplus. I don't know yet because I received the card today.

rwanou

I had it for a week or so, mounted on a Pi3. I did not hear any difference with my older cheaper JustBoom DAC Hat for PiZero on 3.5 jack to 2xRCA and a cheap cable. I did not make that many comparative hearings though.

On thing I noticed is that the sound leans much more towards the highs (but so seems the JustBoom). Cymbals and high pitch guitars are sometimes too high, frankly a bit disturbing. I had to enable my Alsa equaliser and slightly lower the curve on the last 3 or 4 bands. I did compare some songs with the original LP, and the LP usually sounds just fine, better balanced. The numeric source is either Qobuz streamed material (CD to 24/192 quality) or my NAS hosted MP3s (minimum 320)/FLAC.

My setup is a brand new Electrocompaniet PI-1 with KLH Cambridge stand floor speakers. The ensemble sounds fabulous when playing classical music and some specific things (I was bought after listening to Happiness is a warm gun at the store). I have more reserve playing other genres, e.g. Sonic Youth, David Bowie won't move me as they usually do.

I tried to compare some music with my old trusty Focal Spirit Classic headphones (although they're old and I think the membrane is starting to fatigue) which I plugged it in both in my old but brilliant HTC M8 phone (SIM tray is broken, so I use it solely as a music player). I'll give it a bit more attention before posting my findings.

Gaspar74

Anyone know if this can be used with the new Pi Zero 2 w? It says compatible with any Pi with 40 pin header.

Top Bottom