• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review of NanoPi NEO2: World's Smallest Audio Streamer

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi folks,
Need some ASR brain power. I just received Neo3 install dietpi and GMediaRender. Dietpi shows up on my network and as an end point from my media app. But it won't play. I start a song and it stops almost immediately. Do I have to do anything with the USB to get it to output audio?

Some steps would be really helpful.

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi folks,
Need some ASR brain power. I just received Neo3 install dietpi and GMediaRender. Dietpi shows up on my network and as an end point from my media app. But it won't play. I start a song and it stops almost immediately. Do I have to do anything with the USB to get it to output audio?

Some steps would be really helpful.
When you login to the Neo3 and run `aplay -l`, what do you see? Does this show you the right DAC.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes it shows the correct DAC. So I guess its working.

I get this:

card 1: Pro [D30 Pro], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

dsnyder0cnn

Cool. I wonder if the volume is just down. Try running `alsamixer` and making sure levels are up to 100%

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
root@DietPi:~# alsamixer
cannot open mixer: No such file or directory

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems be correct.

│ Card: D30 Pro F1: Help │
│ Chip: USB Mixer F2: System information │
│ View: F3:[Playback] F4: Capture F5: All F6: Select sound card │
│ Item: D30 Pro [dB gain: 0.00]

dsnyder0cnn

You should see something like this:

Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 3.38.31 PM.png

Just make sure the levels are up for all of the "sliders." Note: you may have scroll to the right to see all of them (right arros key)

dsnyder0cnn

It seems be correct.

│ Card: D30 Pro F1: Help │
│ Chip: USB Mixer F2: System information │
│ View: F3:[Playback] F4: Capture F5: All F6: Select sound card │
│ Item: D30 Pro [dB gain: 0.00]
I suspect that you may have to tell GMRenderer which card to use. This doc has some tips:

Essentially, use "aplay -L" (upper-case "L") to get the name of the device…it may not be "sysdefault".

You'll need to track down the script that is starting the process and possibly change the device to match your audio interface. This command may be useful to help you identify which file to edit:

Code:
grep -Frl gstout-audiodevice /etc

dsnyder0cnn

I suspect that you may have to tell GMRenderer which card to use. This doc has some tips:

Essentially, use "aplay -L" (upper-case "L") to get the name of the device…it may not be "sysdefault".

You'll need to track down the script that is starting the process and possibly change the device to match your audio interface. This command may be useful to help you identify which file to edit:

Code:
grep -Frl gstout-audiodevice /etc
If all of that is too much of a pain, you can use my trial code to start a Roon subscription. ;-)

I have a NanoPi NEO2, and it makes a very nice little Roon endpoint.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is what I see.

Attachments

• mix.png
    mix.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 71

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay. I very much appreciate your help. I'll look at the doc. I may try roon as well. I do have roon on my NAS.

Thanks

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If all of that is too much of a pain, you can use my trial code to start a Roon subscription. ;-)

I have a NanoPi NEO2, and it makes a very nice little Roon endpoint.
Hi,
Thanks for your help and the link. I missed one step in the setup and its working now. Personally I don't see the value in ROON for my purposes but it truly is a great system.
Cheers

Top Bottom