• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review of NanoPi NEO2: World's Smallest Audio Streamer

KenG

Thanks Amir.

Buildroot is a very good choice (instead of piCore) if you want a minimalist Linux just for audio.
I use it on NanoPi NEO and NEO2. Here are my config files for building system images: https://github.com/bz31/NanoPi_NEO-NEO2_Buildroot
And the zipped OS images to download: https://github.com/bz31/NanoPi_NEO-NEO2_Buildroot/wiki
So if I just downloaded the image and flashed it to a SD card it would work right off the bat after it boots up in the NanoPi? Is there further config that would need to be done?

bzfrp

So if I just downloaded the image and flashed it to a SD card it would work right off the bat after it boots up in the NanoPi? Is there further config that would need to be done?

Yes. It should work. But only tested at home. (unzip the file after download)

If you take the first image, you have by default UPnP/OpenHome renderer (upmpdcli with mpd) and Apple AirPlay (shairport-sync), which work after boot.
Streaming services need to edit a file via ssh to configure your login/password.
Squeezelite is installed but not enabled. You need to move a startup script via ssh.

The second image is for using Roon Bridge by default, but I no longer have a Roon Server subscription to test it again.

Reactions: Yi.

Yi.

You will probably struggle some in the menus but the above is the high level sequence.

BIG thanks and HUG @amirm @bzfrp

I'll try and report lucky or not

Bravo~ :)

You could first try one of my OS images ( my previous post ), it is plug and play, maybe it will work :)

the seller says my kit is already have an OS images (friendlycore based on ubuntu) at TF card.

add "run DietPi/Buildroot" to daily study list now

all amazing things,NEO/Pi and linux ;)

Last edited:

Yi.

You could first try one of my OS images ( my previous post ), it is plug and play, maybe it will work :)

sadly~i am failed

burn-in OS successfully, running successfully, SSH successfully

then i can see a airplay device name Nanopi-neo2 and a DLNA device name UpMpd[NanoPiNEO2] on my phone

when I select it, click to play fails, the device disappeared from the airplay/DLNA drive list, but SSH still work at this time, so my guess system still running

i was try ver.4.19.40 and ver.4.19.32, try 3~4 times and still same erro

i must study Linux more…

1. Get a copy of DietPi install for NE2

YES! DietPi work well on my neo2, need some setup and add some software, but finally airplay and DLNA running :)

and i find Volumio 2.0 img for nanopi neo2 at here

volumio have a webui, so easy to used

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Volumio is very easy to use. The issue I find with it is that it doesn't support Roon natively so you have to use Airplay and that truncates everything to 16 bits. Otherwise I prefer Volumio to other distributions.

bzfrp

sadly~i am failed
Sorry it didn't work for you. The images have only been tested on my system. Maybe it lacks support for your hardware.
I use USB interfaces with XMOS chip (USB Audio Class 2.0), and only audio files formats mp3, flac and wav.

Yi.

Sorry it didn't work for you. The images have only been tested on my system. Maybe it lacks support for your hardware.
I use USB interfaces with XMOS chip (USB Audio Class 2.0), and only audio files formats mp3, flac and wav.

i use DX3 PRO ,only test airplay/dlna

still thank you open new world's door for me

it's means more

;)

Last edited:

jackenhack

Forum Donor

bzfrp

Yi.

Ruudv033

Hi all,
I would like to try Roon!
And i have an I7 server computer for Roon Core.
I also have a NanoPi neo2.
I can connect the neo2 using I2s on my DAC!

Is there an distribution ready download with roon bridge and using I2s output on the Neo2?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Where can i get this? And does it work with and without Roon?
What do you mean by "this?" Just search for the distribution and download the version that is for this processor/board. With dietpi you have to go through a long process of getting it going which I roughly outlined earlier. Volumio should be a lot easier.

And yes, they are all stand-alone systems that you can use to play local and networked files from in addition to using Roon.

Ruudv033

What do you mean by "this?" Just search for the distribution and download the version that is for this processor/board. With dietpi you have to go through a long process of getting it going which I roughly outlined earlier. Volumio should be a lot easier.

And yes, they are all stand-alone systems that you can use to play local and networked files from in addition to using Roon.
I mean, a complete werking image off a working dietpi or volumio!
I am a noob with linux! Thats why i want to switch to roon

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I mean, a complete werking image off a working dietpi or volumio!
I am a noob with linux! Thats why i want to switch to roon
RoPieee is probably the easiest Roon player to get working, but you'd need a Raspberry Pi. The NanoPi is less widely supported, so you'll probably have to put some work into getting it working, and keeping it updated.

Top Bottom