• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review & Measurements of Allo DigiOne Signature and DIYINHK Pro3Z

I am pretty sure you won't find them sounding different in blind tests. The only exception might be level of USB isolation if you are hearing clear hiss, buzz, etc.

Hi Amirm,

Not sure the difference in usb isolation of these 3 units but read that it is xmos u8, 208 and 216 respectively for the uh1, x-usb and pro3z but especially for the uh1, I am 100% confident that I can pick it from the pro3z 100 times out of 100 tries in blind test at least in my car audio system that cost me >>usd20k with some quite hiend components ... the smsl is >>90 or 95 times.

Hence I am still hoping for any members here to share any experience with pro3z and matrix spdif2 before I shoot for matrix spdif2 or even better units up to usd1000 ... hence also quite disappointed that your great efforts here on seeming no significant difference in measurements that will results in audible difference in sound quality which I really wish to agree but it is simply not the case.

But the way, I bought the Topping D50 jsut 10 days ago solely because of your efforts to at least say that I respect your work here for the benefit of members and beyond.

Further comments would be much appreciated.

Also my offer to ship you the hifime UH1 still stand once I get your shipping address ..smsl is on standby as pro3z will go back to its owner.

https://hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=176

Cheers.

Richard

Last edited:
Hi,

Just ordered the matrix spdif2 from www.matrix-digi.com to shipment to Singapore and guess will be 2-3 weeks to know if it is a keeper or I have to order the pro3z from diyinhk when on-loan one is returned to its owner.

Cheers,

Richard

elvisizer

Hey @amirm if you do want to compare the original Allo to the signature, I'd be willing to ship mine for the testing. I don't use it a ton, so going with out for a few weeks would be no big deal.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hey @amirm if you do want to compare the original Allo to the signature, I'd be willing to ship mine for the testing. I don't use it a ton, so going with out for a few weeks would be no big deal.
Thanks for the offer. I have so much equipment to test in my backlog that unless there is strong interest, it is probably not worth shipping it back and forth. Testing these products is also a lot more time consuming since my Audio Precision can't control them....

Let us know how it works out.

Hi Amirm/Veri,

Ordered at Usd375 with free shipping last nite and Matrix-digi.com just sent me fedex tracking # this morning for arrival on 18 Oct 10pm and not later.

Was looking at several ebay sellers also with free shipping but same usd375 with shipping arrival of end Nov to early Dec and wonder how to can compete.

Just sharing on preferred direct buying from matrix-digi.com for their products and that it will be earlier then previously mentioned 2-3 weeks for initial feedback on subjective SQ by ear with pro3z which I hope help others on just spdif bridge application .. will burn in at least 24 hrs upon receipt.

Cheers.

Richard

Last edited:
Yes. This might be taken to imply that there was no point in measuring any digital source other than as a means of testing the competence of dacs.

Hi Adam,

Not sure if you missed my attempt on getting the best sounding usb-spdif for my usage in this thread and thinking you should get a prompt when I reply your msg.

Hope also i did not quoted above to mislead or taken your complete msg out of context but yes, I gratefully chanced on this informative site by Amirm and do echo a noob who cannot fully understand all these great efforts in measurement but only to find no answer to associated recommended usb-spdif to buy/upgrade to.

One comment though is that this site is special ... neither Amirm laughed at my noob's attempt but in fact shared his thoughts while Veri who I believe is of opinion that there is likely no significant subjective sound quality impact from such usb-spdif bridge remains encouraging and helpful ..... thank you Amirm .. thank you Veri.

Cheers.

Richard

PS: My PXA-H900 processor in my application is 15 yrs one but hope its usd3k price then with BB pcm 1704-K grade is still betta than current affordable chinese usd100-300 dac with sabre dac.

Last edited:

adamd

Hi Adam,

Not sure if you missed my attempt on getting the best sounding usb-spdif for my usage in this thread and thinking you should get a prompt when I reply your msg.
Thanks Richard,
Sorry I was off the internet for a few days. I am interested to hear how your efforts go in finding the best usb/spdif converter. These devices were all the rage a few years ago when lots of people had s/pdif only dacs but wanted to connect computer sources. They have gone out of fashion a bit. FWIW I would counsel caution in the pursuit of best here. The most expensive devices such as the top audiophilio models are really very pricey. And to put it midly the whole concept of digital audio points to the very limited scope for improvement with such sources.
It would be interesting to see how you get on.

adamd

Thanks for the offer. I have so much equipment to test in my backlog that unless there is strong interest, it is probably not worth shipping it back and forth. Testing these products is also a lot more time consuming since my Audio Precision can't control them....
Sorry to be a pain but I would be very interested to see the results and I would invite anyone considering buying the signature model to support a test of the non -signature at half the price.

Thanks Richard,
Sorry I was off the internet for a few days. I am interested to hear how your efforts go in finding the best usb/spdif converter. These devices were all the rage a few years ago when lots of people had s/pdif only dacs but wanted to connect computer sources. They have gone out of fashion a bit. FWIW I would counsel caution in the pursuit of best here. The most expensive devices such as the top audiophilio models are really very pricey. And to put it midly the whole concept of digital audio points to the very limited scope for improvement with such sources.

Hi Adam,

Noted and thanks for the words of caution .. I understand and agrees. I do have the Helix dsp pro processor that I can buy the usb module for input but it was more of a discovery journey for me as well as the wish to keep to the Alpine H900 without such usb input option but nice 12 channels of BB 1704-K grade dac.

The android HU will stay as I am past using even my complementary music only Alpine F1 cda-7790 .. I like its endless flexibility including favorite internet radio as Singapore stopped DAB 6 yrs ago and we do not have satellite radio broadcasts as well as any other apps from android playstore e.g. navigation, torque for car monitoring etc.

Sure, it is either the pro3z or the matrix spdif2 and I am done ... I am using the luxman DA06 dsd dac for my home audio setup and really not much use for these bridges except for my car audio setup.

Cheers.

Richard

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sorry to be a pain but I would be very interested to see the results and I would invite anyone considering buying the signature model to support a test of the non -signature at half the price.
Allo folks just kindly offered the Digione V2 non-signature for review. When it arrives, I will schedule it for review.

Nango

Major Contributor
Contact our CS and we will look at dates etc and will try to see what we can do.

Hello there, I did this via your form on web two week ago. Apart from seeing the screen msg after sending the form "our team will contact you within 48 hrs" nothing happened so far. Pls check. Thx.

johan

Audio Company
pm me your order number and email so I can check

Thanks Richard,

Hi adamd and All,

Received the matrix spdif2 just 6-7 hours ago ....

Suffice to say it will stay and will NOT be ordering ... the pro3z ... when its owner needs it back while noting that this matrix spdif2 is brand new with possible improvement after next 1 week+ of 24/7 burn in when I am off to Suzhou, China, for biz trip.

Matrix spdif2 is as detailed as pro3z but background is darker with resulting deeper and wider sound stage .. just more musical while arguably a very minute shade in loss of dynamic. This despite matrix spdif2 is using older XU208 compared to XU216 ... not that I know impact of these XMOS versions on sound quality but guess it is implementation especially 8x the size in volume of CNC aluminium bloc.

Pro3z is great for its usd216 price with great sound but matrix spdif at usd379 is just betta if you want the best usb-spdif bridge with its musicality and darker background that make you play the system louder and louder as well with future proof i2s .. hence my recommendation to go for matrix spdif2.

Looking like I am done with search for usb-spdif bridges in my car audio system and hope burn-in brings about more improvement of the matrix spdif2 especially to have it more dynamic.

Hope this helps members and any guest here but make no mistake ... usb-spdif converter are not made equally.

Cheers,

Richard

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
@richard_crl032 glad to hear you are happy with your purchase.

Personally I don't really believe in hearing 'blacker' background or result of burn-in, especially with equally well made products.

But if you hear a positive difference that's the most important thing :)..

Nango

Major Contributor
Allo folks just kindly offered the Digione V2 non-signature for review. When it arrives, I will schedule it for review.
Would be awful if v2 performed (way) better than v1, I got offered a 30% discount (minus shipping costs) as I had purchased the v1 right before they announced the Sig, anyway it's not for me, I'm done with them. Will go probably for the Matrix 2 instead.

Guess Sig v2 is also already in the pipeline!!

@richard_crl032 glad to hear you are happy with your purchase.

Personally I don't really believe in hearing 'blacker' background or result of burn-in, especially with equally well made products.

But if you hear a positive difference that's the most important thing :)..

Hi Veri,

Noted and thanks for your comments that are very much appreciated .. agree to disgree is unfortunately not as prevalent as it should be as well as the demonstrated tolerance of Amirm and yourself toward noobs like me.

Guess "darker" background of matrix spdif2 can be due to less white noise, distortions etc. etc. but do not know how to conclude on already measurement noicely made by Amirm on the matrix spdif2 and the pro3z ... the pro3z is still great with its small size, low price is user only need toslink and rca coaxial which I can live but I am stubbornly concluded that usb-spdif bridges are not made equal from after using 4 mentioned.

Just to push my luck a bit more, I have the matrix spdif running into the D50 via toslink to "burn it" or at least ensure no DOA and while it means no more dsd playback, details of music in mp3, flac, wav etc. is noticably much much betta in a desktop yamaha stereo player via analog line-in from the D50 ... the usb interface of D50 is just not the same as Matrix spdif2 else more in the chain should deteriorates SQ instead logically.

Thanks again and cheers.

Richard

Last edited:
Top Bottom