• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review, Measurement and Comparison of Schiit Modi 2 Uber and Topping D30

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I'll have two of whatever you smoked, please.
Its funny because I had a similar experience.
There was a sharpness to the amp and the micro details were missing from some tracks.
It really depended on the dominant frequencies in the tracks but still.
Now if he thinks the Modi2U sounds like crap, I think that is definitely correct.
When I tested my friends Modi2U (mind you this is before I even found this site) there were so many missing details in my complex tracks.
If I just played like rap with male voices it was fine, but when it came to female voices or classical tracks with violin and other string instruments.... well it was clear that the instruments sounded flat.
And this was using my same Amp (O2) and my mrspeakers Aeon.
I also tried my Topping A30 with the Aeon, which is something I regularly listened to....

So I think it really depends on if you listen to music you know or don't know. You need to have a reference point when testing audio equipment. This is why for me I have a test playlist of songs I am very familiar with, but which also have either defects or difficult to reproduce microdetails that I can listen for to tell me about how much distortion there is.

Reactions: trl

derp1n

Uncontrolled subjective evaluations are laughable, at best.

masamoto

Just got my Topping D30 today paired with a Susy Dynalo Mk2 and modded fostex t50rp mk3. The sound was never so good. I have a AudioGD nfb 11 as well but this combo got it beat. This is my work setup but over Christmas I will bring it all home and have a listen again. But I think the D30 got the nfb11 Sabre 9018 beat. This is just from memory for now but using the nfb just as a dac to go through the Dynalo was not as good as this. I bought it by looking at measurements and comparisons from amirm so thank you for the hard work. Can't wait to plug some open cans in this setup when I get it back home.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
It looks so fine this Susy Dynalo Mk2 inside, but what's in the output buffer, please? Perhaps a schematics would help here, thanks.

nerone

Hi everyone, I have a problem with the Topping D30, it makes the bom every time I turn on Chromecast Audio from PC or Smartphone. Is this problem common to all or is my problem defective?
Thank you

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Hi everyone, I have a problem with the Topping D30, it makes the bom every time I turn on Chromecast Audio from PC or Smartphone. Is this problem common to all or is my problem defective?
Thank you
What do you mean by "it makes the bom"?

awkwardbydesign

I've just found (and joined) this forum as I m looking for a USB (power and input) DAC for my Daphile system in the loft. At the lowest price, naturally. :) So thanks for all the hard work.
Ah, I've just realised this takes 15V! I misread the back panel, but no worries, I must have a linear 15V supply around somewhere.

Last edited:
Top Bottom