• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review: Battle of Schiit Audio DACs

gasgas

Forum Donor
Did you try the Midi app? On the Mac the Midi app is used to adjust sound parameters.

I apologize, I am a windows user "of the first hour" and I have difficulties with the mac that I took only for an incredible collection of liquid music. Where's the midi app??

gasgas

Forum Donor
hello everyone, I would like to thank you all for the help you have given me.
now everything seems to work:

mini mac --> (usb) --> Eitr --> (spdif) --> Multibit (SPDIF input) --> (rca) --> preamplifier

who knows if I will finally able to give you some listening impressions! :)

mykeldg

@gasgas how do you like the Modi Multibit so far? While they measure poorly, they're not bad and actually really a pleasant sounding dac as long as you don't expect it to sound clean & accurate. I do have other superbly measuring dacs like the Topping D50s & Modi 3 and yes those sound cleaner but honestly, i'm in this hobby to enjoy music and guess what dac makes me enjoy the music more? Unfortunately, the bad measuring one ;)

gasgas

Forum Donor
@gasgas how do you like the Modi Multibit so far? While they measure poorly, they're not bad and actually really a pleasant sounding dac as long as you don't expect it to sound clean & accurate. I do have other superbly measuring dacs like the Topping D50s & Modi 3 and yes those sound cleaner but honestly, i'm in this hobby to enjoy music and guess what dac makes me enjoy the music more? Unfortunately, the bad measuring one ;)

yes, in fact when i saw the measures (after buying it!) i was frozen .. hundreds of dollars wasted!
But from a first listening (only a few hours unfortunately) it seemed very pleasant & clean.
On the other hand, also my "old" CD player (a top of the lin Accuphase player) has always had the reputation of playing a little" dark ".. but .... never felt darkness :)

Xeperiset

Serious question: Would there be an AUDIBLE and substantial difference between the modi 2 and modi 3?

I've had the modi 2 for years and saw this review now. Also should I use SPDIF or USB?

jules

Serious question: Would there be an AUDIBLE and substantial difference between the modi 2 and modi 3?

It depends on the resolving quality of the rest of your system. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link... and the DAC might not be the weakest link... ;)

Xeperiset

It depends on the resolving quality of the rest of your system. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link... and the DAC might not be the weakest link... ;)

I got the HE400i and MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs headphones, magni 2 headphone amp, Origain speaker amp, both connected via schiit Sys as a switcher.

wiz2596

As an owner of a modi multibit I found this really disappointing, fortunately I just spent $250 of modi and not more as others on their more expensive brothers (although not long ago I felt tempted to do so), so now I'm happy to found this forum in which I can trust before buying a DAC again, thanks amirm and folks, keep doing your excellent job!!

Jimster480

Major Contributor
As an owner of a modi multibit I found this really disappointing, fortunately I just spent $250 of modi and not more as others on their more expensive brothers (although not long ago I felt tempted to do so), so now I'm happy to found this forum in which I can trust before buying a DAC again, thanks amirm and folks, keep doing your excellent job!!
Welcome to the forum! May your next choices be enlightened! :)

Mortsnets

I've had the modi 2 for years and saw this review now. Also should I use SPDIF or USB?
I have the Modi MB and far prefer SPDIF using the Allo DigiOne or an inexpensive Signstek USB to SPDIF converter from my laptop.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I have the Modi MB and far prefer SPDIF using the Allo DigiOne or an inexpensive Signstek USB to SPDIF converter from my laptop.
You basically have to use SPDIF with these Schiit products. Their USB interface is flawed.

Svperstar

I have multiple DACs here at home and when I plug the Modi Multibit back in I am immediately taken with how much darker sounding it is compared to my others. Like the 3D aspect of music and its like everything has a layer of Vaseline on top of it smoothing it all out.

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have multiple DACs here at home and when I plug the Modi Multibit back in I am immediately taken with how much darker sounding it is compared to my others. Like the 3D aspect of music and its like everything has a layer of Vaseline on top of it smoothing it all out.
I gave my Mimby away because I was hogging all the gear but I agree totally. The smooth sound of it is fantastic. I miss Mimby much. Upgrading to the BiFrost 2 has taken away the sound I loved and replaced it with a cleaner, sterile sound.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I gave my Mimby away because I was hogging all the gear but I agree totally. The smooth sound of it is fantastic. I miss Mimby much. Upgrading to the BiFrost 2 has taken away the sound I loved and replaced it with a cleaner, sterile sound.
Uh huh.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
User preferences don’t have to correlate to measureable fidelity improvements. Look at the loads of people who proclaim vinyl is superior to digital.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
The "smooth sound"? It sounds like utter dogshit to put it lightly. All details in music are missing, some things sound "jagged" because of how much distortion there is. If you like to listen to music without any details then just get a $10 pair of headphones and use that all day every.
There is no reason to actually spend money to have something that sounds so frigging bad.

Top Bottom