• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review: Apple vs Google USB-C Headphone Adapters

Dcd564

I bought one without hesitation for use with my 2018 MacBook Pro… but then was wondering how it compares against the MBP‘s built-in headphone out jack. Has this been measured?
I’m interested in this as well. Is there any benefit to using the dongle over the MacBook Pro’s built in headphone jack?

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I’m interested in this as well. Is there any benefit to using the dongle over the MacBook Pro’s built in headphone jack?
I would say, doubtful. There's probably a slightly better Cirrus Logic-based audio section in the MBP, and from what I understand, the MBP targets 2 Vrms output vs. the dongle's 1 Vrms, so it should offer more volume.

Alex-D

Got this dongle, US version.

During the first test when I crudely matched volume "by the ear" I liked it more than Dragonfly 1.2 (not surprising) and Grace Balanced DAC (highly surprising) with punchy and defined bass, detailed and natural timbre of acoustic instruments and so on.

The next day I matched the volume as good as I could using cheap noise meter and 1khz tone.

After that I wasn't able to spot these differences I've been "hearing" before, lol.

wizzie

Would this dongle (EU version) be an upgrade over a midrange motherboard (Asus Prime X370-Pro) with my MH751's?

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Would this dongle (EU version) be an upgrade over a midrange motherboard (Asus Prime X370-Pro) with my MH751's?
That motherboard has a decent Realtek codec that can handle headphone output, so in your case, probably not a significant upgrade unless there's something wrong with the implementation.

Michael YYZ

This, I would like to know, too. If both dongles use the same DAC/amplifier, viz. Cirrus Logic 46L06-CWZR (https://www.cabledo.com/apple-usb-c-digital-to-3-5-mm-headphone-adapter-teardown/), then the performance should be similar.

For information, the Google dongles use:
Is there any known differences with usb-c and lightning versions? I mean measured technical performance.
https://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/lightning-adapter-audio-quality.htm

Michael YYZ

@amirm

It would be very interesting if Amir could test the Apple Lightning to 3.5 mm Audio Jack Cable (A1879). This is a two-way ADC-DAC cable, intended recently to be used as ADC with the new Apple AirPods Max headphones.

“This bi-directional cable can be used with both 3.5mm audio-out and audio-in ports, allowing you to connect your AirPods Max or Beats Solo Pro headphones to 3.5mm audio sources, or to connect your iOS or iPadOS device to speakers with 3.5mm audio ports.“ (https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MXK22AM/A/lightning-to-35mm-audio-cable-12m-white)

The cable appears to be back ordered - shipping in 4-6 weeks - so, if someone has it already and could kindly loan it to Amir, it would be fantastic. Thanks!

Veri

Master Contributor
@amirm

It would be very interesting if Amir could test the Apple Lightning to 3.5 mm Audio Jack Cable (A1879). This is a two-way ADC-DAC cable, intended recently to be used as ADC with the new Apple AirPods Max headphones.

But... it's lightning.

Michael YYZ

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+Lightning+to+Headphone+Jack+Adapter+Teardown/67562

This, I would like to know, too. If both dongles use the same DAC/amplifier, viz. Cirrus Logic 46L06-CWZR (https://www.cabledo.com/apple-usb-c-digital-to-3-5-mm-headphone-adapter-teardown/), then the performance should be similar.

For information, the Google dongles use:

juliuscaesar1597

M40x stock don't require loads of power so it'll probably be just fine, as long as the phone properly interfaces with the dongle that is.
Hey its been a few weeks with the dongle and it works flawlessly. I love it!! Thanks for the help <3

SDX-LV

Oh well, ordered the Apple adapter for my PC, because I need one and you can't trust any electronics that was not tested by Amir :)

bigdoinks

Excuse my ignorance of the data provided here but can anyone explain to me if the Apple dongle would use less power from the device than the Google one?

Not looking for high-fidelity audio or anything, the most important factor I’m interested in is buying the dongle that will use the least of my device’s battery,

Veri

Master Contributor
Excuse my ignorance of the data provided here but can anyone explain to me if the Apple dongle would use less power from the device than the Google one?
I believe that is the case, yes

max8

Are there any compatibility issues with the Apple dongle on Windows and on Android devices (in particular new Samsung Galaxy phones)

Top Bottom