• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review: Apple vs Google USB-C Headphone Adapters

juliuscaesar1597

Hi guys.
I recently ordered the EU model (A2155) to use with my Note 10+ and my ATH M40x (modded with ZMF Cowhides), would there be any issue with that even if it can only output 0.5Vrms?
Kinda worried that it might not drive them...

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi guys.
I recently ordered the EU model (A2155) to use with my Note 10+ and my ATH M40x (modded with ZMF Cowhides), would there be any issue with that even if it can only output 0.5Vrms?
M40x stock don't require loads of power so it'll probably be just fine, as long as the phone properly interfaces with the dongle that is.

juliuscaesar1597

M40x stock don't require loads of power so it'll probably be just fine, as long as the phone properly interfaces with the dongle that is.
Thanks for the quick reply, It will probably arrive tomorrow. Only one way to find out :)

wizzie

Hello, I'm planning on buying the Apple dongle for my QKZ VK4 IEM for desktop use, does the EU version have a worse dac/amp than the US version? From what I've read in this thread it's limited to 0.5 Vrms, but is the hardware the same or at least equivalent?
Thanks in advance!

Veri

Master Contributor
Hello, I'm planning on buying the Apple dongle for my QKZ VK4 IEM for desktop use, does the EU version have a worse dac/amp than the US version? From what I've read in this thread it's limited to 0.5 Vrms, but is the hardware the same or at least equivalent?
It's the same thing, with a software (programmed) limit. 0.5V at max volume is still okay for a lot of sensitive items :) I use one with my ATH-AD700 and all of my IEMS.

wizzie

It's the same thing, with a software (programmed) limit. 0.5V at max volume is still okay for a lot of sensitive items :) I use one with my ATH-AD700 and all of my IEMS.

Oh, that's nice. Is there any way to remove the limit on desktop, and would IEMs benefit from that in any way?

Veri

Master Contributor
Oh, that's nice. Is there any way to remove the limit on desktop, and would IEMs benefit from that in any way?
No real way to circumvent it AFAIK. You could boost the volume over its limit perhaps but that could introduce clipping artifacts.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
As far as I know, the Meizu Pro is no longer being made :( only the non-pro seems to be available.
Bummer. Wasn't there another similar / clone brand of the Meizu stuff? TempoTec Sonata HD Pro? I recall trying to figure out where all of those models slotted and got confused by HD vs. HD Pro, HiFi vs. HiFi Pro, and the fact that not all of them were measured here. o_O

Veri

Master Contributor
Bummer. Wasn't there another similar / clone brand of the Meizu stuff? TempoTec Sonata HD Pro? I recall trying to figure out where all of those models slotted and got confused by HD vs. HD Pro, HiFi vs. HiFi Pro, and the fact that not all of them were measured here. o_O
I believe the Sonata is a Hidisz S8 clone, both of which are also quite good recommendations really ;)

skinnyq

Just so that I don't misunderstand, would there be an audible difference between the EU version (A2155) 0.5 vrms and the US version (A2049) 1vrms when it comes to driving speakers as opposed to headphones?
You were talking about audio being quiet. Keep in mind I'm a complete noob.

threni

Major Contributor
Just so that I don't misunderstand, would there be an audible difference between the EU version (A2155) 0.5 vrms and the US version (A2049) 1vrms when it comes to driving speakers as opposed to headphones?
You were talking about audio being quiet. Keep in mind I'm a complete noob.
The review doesn't mention it but i'm going to assume Amir was reviewing the US version. It would be interesting to see the EU version being compared for comparison; both sound quality and how hard much hard to drive headphones they are.

AlexF

Back on page 11 you can see I tried everything I could think of to get this device working in Windows 7 without any success. Upgrading to a newer version of Windows is the way forward if your processor supports it.
Any updates to this status?

Last edited:

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Any updates to this status?
Someone joined ASR and messaged me with a similar question in late November. I said:

"Unfortunately, as you probably saw in the dongle thread, I reached a dead end. I don't think there's a path to making this adapter work in Windows 7 unless someone creates or modifies a driver for it. That is beyond my ability, but I hoped that by documenting my experiments with Thesycon drivers and migrating usbaudio2 drivers from Windows 10, someone might be encouraged to take on the task. The Khadas Tone Board works in Windows 7 and it uses a customized Thesycon driver, so I believe it is theoretically possible."

They mentioned being in touch with programmers who might be capable of taking on this project. I asked about their status in late December and they said there had been no progress.

Swoof

These are a great little raspberry pi DAC solution. Cheap and compatible with any case, unlike the average HATs.

maramara

Is there any downside in using the EU version with the HiFiMAN Ananda on iPhoneXS?
In terms of distortion maybe or something like that...
Thank you :)

Top Bottom