• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review: Apple vs Google USB-C Headphone Adapters

bobbooo

Major Contributor
It says USB-DAC and some model number. AudioTrack indicates that it is still using the Android driver.

Pleased to report the developer of Neutron player has fixed the app so the Apple dongle is now recognised and utlilised properly, and plays at loud volumes through my Galaxy S10e. Unfortunately the loud volume still doesn't 'stick' when using the dongle outside of Neutron (e.g. Spotify) like you managed to get it to - it reverts to a much quieter max volume.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not on my S8+. And others complain just as well about low volume.

Sad but true. Ppl suggest getting HiBy music player (free on Google Play) and setting UsbHQ mode. Then volume will go higher.
Bought myself Apple USB-C to audio adapter from Amazon at $7! :D It sounds OK - tested it with this year (2019) Samsung Android Phone (A70 - highly recommended). Clean but anemic. Very weak. Built-in headphone jack sound runs circles around it.
Update: after testing HiByMusic and AIMP with critical listening - it is a good adapter. The problem was with Youtube video (aka source). I recommend this adapter. The amazon version seems to be not fake.

Last edited:

snip3r77

Sad but true. Ppl suggest getting HiBy music player (free on Google Play) and setting UsbHQ mode. Then volume will go higher.
Bought myself Apple USB-C to audio adapter from Amazon at $7! :D It sounds OK - tested it with this year (2019) Samsung Android Phone (A70 - highly recommended). Clean but anemic. Very weak. Built-in headphone jack sound runs circles around it.

You mean after toggling UsbHQ, spotify volume will go 'higher'

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Update: after testing HiByMusic and AIMP with critical listening - it is a good adapter. The problem was with Youtube video (aka source). I recommend this adapter. The amazon version seems to be not fake.

yberker

It seems A2049 US version is the best price performance dac money can buy right now for windows PCs. Also ADC is much more loud compared to laptop's microphone input.

With M50, it's volume going way up to ear penetrating levels even at %50; with AKG K7XX, it is uncomfortably loud at %85.

Biggest disadvantage is its build to break level meterial quality, a little diy reinforcing took care of it.

Overall very happy with my choice.
WhatsApp Image 2019-11-05 at 7.09.50 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2019-11-06 at 1.15.22 PM.jpeg

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The "iPhone" adapter uses a Lightning connector, not USB-C, so it can not possibly work on anything other than an Apple iDevice.
There is a USB-C one too (for latest iPads) which is the one Amir tested since he can't test lightning

riker1384

It's nice that these things have good audio quality, but it's ridiculous that they're needed at all. They should take these nice DAC/amps and build them into the devices, like they used to. It's a gigantic step backwards in usability to have to carry these tiny little dongles around in order to have the functionality that older devices had built in. What are you supposed to do with these stupid things? Carry one around 24/7? You'll lose it. Carry one hanging out of the phone/tablet? It looks ridiculous and it'll break. Keep it attached to the headphones? Then you have to buy one for every pair of headphones, or other audio device, and you can't play music on someone else's system if they don't have one.

The whole point of a smartphone was that it was a self-contained all-in-one portable device you could carry around 24/7 in your pocket and always have on you. It defeats that purpose if you have to carry a bag of accessories in order for it to function. I'm going to hold onto my iPhone SE and 6S as long as possible as they're the last ones Apple made with headphone jacks.

The only alternative to a 3.5mm jack that I would accept is if USB-C becomes the standard for all phones and other devices and also for headphones, and if it passes both analog and digital audio signals, so you use it with passive or active headphones.

Top Bottom