• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review: Apple vs Google USB-C Headphone Adapters

SiW

Do the Apple usb-c and lightening dongles support 250ohm headphones?

derbidrd

Why not but in this case why should it output only 0.5V in windows 10 ?

elfary

Why not but in this case why should it output only 0.5V in windows 10 ?

I bet an arm and a leg that the Apple USB-C to 3.5mm delivers 1 Vrms when connected to any iPad.

Basically because it was Steve Jobs who set the 1 Vrms standard as he was a headphone nerd since the early 70s. Apple has only steered clear from the 1 volt rule when regional regulations have forced them to.

elfary

Considering that adapters sold in the US and the EU seem to have different model numbers (2049 vs 2155, respectively), which suggests that they are different hardware, I find it more likely that's where the 1V vs 0.5V difference is coming from.

No.

Lightning to 3.5mm dongle has also different model numbers (US and EU) and they both deliver 1 Vrms when hooked to an iPad or a non EU iPhone. And 0'5 when hooked to an EU iPhone.

I have both dongles and have tested them.

Dunno see why USB-C dongle should be different.

Host rules the Vrms output. Not the dongle.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a way to use this dongle under Windows 7 pro on a 2.0 USB port?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you use a USB C female to USB A adapter, you can use it on any USB enabled computer. The adapters are around $1 on eBay.

Thanks. I know that this kind of adapter exists for USB C Female to USB A 3.1 Male, but I'm not sure about USB A 2.0 Male.
Can you confirm it exists and would work?

Last edited:

tomli747

USB is downward compatible so it probably will work. The problem is windows 7 does not have the UAC 2.0 driver built-in, so you may need to find an alternative.

edechamps

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How is that even possible?

AFAIK this is normal and expected if there is a hardware gain control. The stream is still bit-perfect; the Windows volume control just tells the hardware to adjust the gain. If there is no hardware gain control, then Windows inserts a software volume control automatically and in that case I would expect WASAPI Exclusive streams to be immune to volume adjustments.

As for ASIO, it would depend on the specific implementation of the driver.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone tried to use this thing as preamp ? How would it react to a 100 KOhms load? I would like to use it with those Boulder amplifers seen here
1559034630881.png

That's not me in the picture ...
That's the amp though.....

Woke up in a good mood :D
Edit: This is the DAC, we're talking about, it will be the preamp to the above amps ...:rolleyes:
Apple Headphones Adapter.png
picture was added after a reply ..just for laughs

Last edited:

Biblob

Has anyone tried to use this thing as preamp ? How would it react to a 100 KOhms load? I would like to use it with those Boulder amplifers seen here
View attachment 26829
That's not me in the picture ...
That's the amp though.....

Woke up in a good mood :D
The differrence in size is just hilarious to me when you would combine these two. :D

It really makes the fact that this kind of engineering is possible these days, even more impressive.

Veri

Master Contributor
Has anyone tried running this dongle with the JDS Lab Atom Amp behind it?
In unity gain that won't result in a lot of power. Heck in high gain it still wouldn't be that loud for insensitive headphones.

Roen

If you use a USB C female to USB A adapter, you can use it on any USB enabled computer. The adapters are around $1 on eBay.
I remember reading the USB-C female to USB-A male wasn't allowed by the USB-C spec, even though these adapters exist.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
Has anyone tried running this dongle with the JDS Lab Atom Amp behind it?
A pic of that setup is worth a million bucks :p

Interesting to see how the Apple dongle stacks up with better sound quality performance than many desktop DACs. I think the Apple dongle can be a kind of benchmark; " Is this DAC better than an Apple dongle" :D

It seems to be a great option for earbuds and IEMs, without the need to have a portable dac / amp hanging off the side of the phone. I'd seen an article saying as much previously, but I thought it was a hoax lol

Silou

What do I have to edit to get this thing to output 1V on european Android phones? Phone is rooted but I have no clue what to edit :D

wiggum

What do I have to edit to get this thing to output 1V on european Android phones? Phone is rooted but I have no clue what to edit :D
There is a file called mixer_paths.xml somewhere in /etc/ or other platform specific directory.

Code:
<ctl name="RX1 Digital Volume" value="84" />
<ctl name="RX2 Digital Volume" value="84" />

<ctl name="HPHL Volume" value="11" />
<ctl name="HPHR Volume" value="11" />

The above are the control names and the associated values. Unfortunately, the values are specific to a DAC chip and often the spec sheet is not available for public. :(

Search for your phone model and mixer_paths.xml

fairx

I just read this thread and wonder if it can be used with raspberry pi / Netbook + volumio? I'm hyped on ordering this until I read that it has problem with android. I have old Samsung A7 with USB C. At least if it can run with volumio I will consider buying it.

Top Bottom