• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review: Apple vs Google USB-C Headphone Adapters

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When did Apple start making Type C dongles?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
What is the USB-C dongle for? The iPad or something?

Are you sure that your desktop isn't routing the audio through the USB-C adapter instead? Is the performance close to your PC's integrated sound card?
I'm just not sure how these things work because they do have this "USB-C audio routing" feature.

So not every dongle is the same.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor

Are you sure that your desktop isn't routing the audio through the USB-C adapter instead? Is the performance close to your PC's integrated sound card?
I'm just not sure how these things work because they do have this "USB-C audio routing" feature.

There is a dac/amp that is what is active, there is no pass through.

Roen

iPad uses Lightning, so maybe MacBook?

Johnb

And the next bump up in price amongst dongles is Speaka / Extrempro at $33 Amazon, ASIN B01FQHBDI4, DF Black copy. Wonder if that one works with Android.

bakker_be

Regarding the Android issues: the USB-C connection of lots of phones doesn't pass through a digital signal, instead handing out analog sound to be routed to the jack ...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How is the SINAD 100 but the SNR 94? I thought SINAD < SNR by definition? (Unless distortion can be negative)
You guys are getting really good at scrutinizing these graphs! :) I thought that number was strange but when I got back to the project I forgot to re-check. I re-ran it and it is indeed much better:

Apple iPhone USB-C Headphone Adapter Audio Dynamic Range Measurements.png

I updated the review.

These dongles expose volume control to Windows and for some reason default to low value on install. I re-ran all the measurements at max volume before the review but didn't on this test. Sorry about that.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Regarding the Android issues: the USB-C connection of lots of phones doesn't pass through a digital signal, instead handing out analog sound to be routed to the jack ...
That seems to be the case with my Samsung S8+.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
D

Deleted member 3566

Will wait until you get to test the other two dongles -- which I assume are the Razer and the Hidizs dongles.

Kyle / MrHeeHo

Their new iPad Pro dropped lightning in favor of USB-C for the sake of video out.

vert

Forum Donor
I'll try it with USB Audio Player Pro next week if I can and report. UAPP comes with a special driver for audio which supersedes the Android driver, so the issue shouldn't appear, as long as UAPP "sees" the dongle as a DAC.

bigx5murf

Interesting test, but I'd still hope theses things become a footnote in history, and we continue using 3.5mm jacks.

Top Bottom