• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review: Apple vs Google USB-C Headphone Adapters

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
EU model A2155 (0,5V)
US/ Intl (hopefully full 1v) A2049

Unless there has been revisions of course

Those are USB-C models. The lightning USA version is A1749. Dunno about the EU version

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Those are USB-C models. The lightning USA version is A1749. Dunno about the EU version
My bad- didnt check back on the thread I was replying to- just went by thread title and the last post.

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No.

Lightning to 3.5mm dongle has also different model numbers (US and EU) and they both deliver 1 Vrms when hooked to an iPad or a non EU iPhone. And 0'5 when hooked to an EU iPhone.

I have both dongles and have tested them.

Dunno see why USB-C dongle should be different.

Host rules the Vrms output. Not the dongle.
What?? So basically the stupid Europeans (like me) have to protect their hearing by force by not listening loud enough and the Americans can go fuck up their hearing as much as they like? That is not fair!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Apple website is now so streamlined it doesnt even tell you model number/ specs! For the USB C the "specs" are

1656534354120.png

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ridiculous. They could have written: 'It´s a thing. Plug in your headphone and don´t make stupid question'.

*Imaginary complaint post*

Cust: "I plugged my headphones in and got no sound out"

Apple Geniarse: "Did you plug it into your phone?"

Cust: "I NEED A PHONE?!?!?!?! I sue you!

AG:
fhog8f1t3cy61.jpg

staticV3

Master Contributor
Maybe it is this, I bought it in Germany, is there a way to check this (without measuring) ?
What model number is printed on the wire of your dongle?

Oh and regarding the measuring thing, a multimeter costs like 15€ (or 30€ for a good one).
I highly recommend you buy one and take the initiative in validating this stuff yourself.

To get to the contacts inside the 3.5mm jack, all you need is a plug like this one.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Where is that in iOS?

Hi, this is what you do.

Go to Settings -> Bluetooth

Look at 'MY DEVICES'.

To the right of the device name there's a blue 'i' in a blue circle.

Click on the 'i'. You'll get a list of device types - choose between them.

By the way, that list of device types only appears if and when the device is connected.

Best wishes.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Hi, this is what you do.

Go to Settings -> Bluetooth

Look at 'MY DEVICES'.

To the right of the device name there's a blue 'i' in a blue circle.

Click on the 'i'. You'll get a list of device types - choose between them.

By the way, that list of device types only appears if and when the device is connected.

Best wishes.
Thanks, but that is Bluetooth. We are discussing the Lightning headphone adapter.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
What?? So basically the stupid Europeans (like me) have to protect their hearing by force by not listening loud enough and the Americans can go fuck up their hearing as much as they like? That is not fair!
The Lightning adapter that Ken Rockwell tested, presumably the USA version, is model A1749. Mine, bought in the UK, is also A1749. <https://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/lightning-adapter-audio-quality.htm>

I think, however, that the audio SW in iOS is different, limiting the output in UK/Euro iPhones.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
At least with the Type-C version, the UK gets the same 0.5Vrms limited version as the EU:
View attachment 215718
I've just put some 1 kHz sine test files on my UK iPhone Xs and tested the Lightning adapter (UK A1749) output with the volume at max. I got
0 dB 0.433 V
-3 dB 0.305 V
-6 dB 0.215 V
So, definitely not the 1 V we want!

Last edited:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
use a 60Hz test file for more accurate readings with multimeters
Is this something to do with a DMM's AC response, and is the difference enough to make it worth repeating the test with 60 Hz? I used 1 kHz because this is pretty much the audio standard.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is this something to do with a DMM's AC response
Yes. They're most accurate at 50/60Hz
is the difference enough to make it worth repeating the test with 60 Hz?
eh, probably not. With a 0dBFS test file at 100% volume you should see 0.501Vrms or thereabout.
I used 1 kHz because this is pretty much the audio standard.
Modern DACs are flat to <20Hz, so there's nothing to worry about when using 60Hz instead of 1K

Oh and the A1749 is for sure a EU model with that 0.5Vrms hardware limiter, which means there's no additional software limiter in iOS.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Yes. They're most accurate at 50/60Hz

eh, probably not. With a 0dBFS test file at 100% volume you should see 0.501Vrms or thereabout.

Modern DACs are flat to <20Hz, so there's nothing to worry about when using 60Hz instead of 1K

Oh and the A1749 is for sure a EU model with that 0.5Vrms hardware limiter, which means there's no additional software limiter in iOS.
So what was Ken Rockwell testing?

staticV3

Master Contributor
So what was Ken Rockwell testing?
Ah shoot, my bad.
Oh and the A1749 is for sure a EU model with that 0.5Vrms hardware limiter
That's not true. Both the American Lightning dongle (AM) and the European one (ZM) share the same model designation A1749.
So both Ken Rockwell and RAA tested the AM A1749 with 1Vrms, while you got the ZM A1749 with the limiter.

5d8dc31491c05.jpg BdPUZxxVkeufsUBM.jpeg

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Ah shoot, my bad.

That's not true. Both the American Lightning dongle (AM) and the European one (ZM) share the same model designation A1749.
So both Ken Rockwell and RAA tested the AM A1749 with 1Vrms, while you got the ZM A1749 with the limiter.

View attachment 215755 View attachment 215756
Thanks. At last that makes sense, although it's odd that the USB-C adapters have different model numbers and the Lightning ones don't. BTW where did you find this out?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I had a private conversation with someone on ASR regarding the different Apple dongles and we tried to clarify the situation a bit.
I went through every country on Apple's website to see who gets which version to make the map I sent above and they looked at eBay photos and found out about the A1749 thing.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I'd suggest the higher output is useful if it's to be used as a dac with line out. My current EU USB C version is too quiet used that way. Hoping to try the US version soon...

Top Bottom