• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review: Apple vs Google USB-C Headphone Adapters

TheShield

There is no version without DAC.

Thanks good to know this.

I'm impressed with the sound quality. Both one dongle on the laptop going to the YU4 speakers and the other dongle on the PC headphone jack. I no longer have to use the FXsound EQ app. When I play the sound from the desktop to the YU4 through optical I have to use the realtek onboard card and it sounds better than before even though it's not using the apple dongle.

Sound is unreal through my Momentum 3 headphones on the desktop.

No more need to get a Topping DX3 Pro+. Saved myself $300.

TheShield

Maybe I am just imagining things but I swear the desktop sound from the optical to YU4 sound MUCH better with the apple dongle even though the dongle is used for the headphones. And in the control panel the YU4 are running off the onboard realtek driver but boy I swear it sounds so much better now.

Mesh

Apologies for not finding the straight answer so far in the thread (still reading...) but if anyone already knows, I would appreciate a reply:

I am using IEM's in the 16 ohm range, so nothing very demanding. Is there any reason at all to go beyond the Apple dongle?

EDIT: And has the issue with Android to the Apple dongle been resolved (which Amirm mentioned in the original post)? That read a bit more like a software issue to me, but better know than guess.

Last edited:

Mesh

If you're not missing volume and your IEMs don't hiss with the Apple dongle, then no.

Somewhat. See here.
Thanks! Might save me some headache to bite the bullet on a Questyle M12 then. The M12 measurements seem strong enough as far as I can tell, and I don't really think I would need the extra amplification power shown in the M15 measurements for driving Etymotics ER2XRs (15 ohm).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! Might save me some headache to bite the bullet on a Questyle M12 then. The M12 measurements seem strong enough as far as I can tell, and I don't really think I would need the extra amplification power shown in the M15 measurements for driving Etymotics ER2XRs (15 ohm).
The M12 doesnt look that good to me. PS- the ER2s take some driving, especially if you start adding some bass in an EQ. Perhaps look to something like this if you are spending $50-100 https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/tanchjim-space/

Mesh

The M12 doesnt look that good to me. PS- the ER2s take some driving, especially if you start adding some bass in an EQ. Perhaps look to something like this if you are spending $50-100 https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/tanchjim-space/
I am fine with the bass as it is on the ER2XR and can deal with them as they are out of the box. I am mostly tired of the Samsung Pros that I have to my phone, as my ER2XR that I connect to my laptop are so clearly superior. The Bud Pro being BT isn't a big gain to me from a convenience focus either. I hate the constant worry about dropping one of them somewhere, so having a cable between them is just more convenient. And... I love the deep fit of Etymotics anyhow. They sit perfectly for me and are way better than ANC to me.

I will look into that option for sure - thanks!

staticV3

Master Contributor
I am in EU, so I don't have easy access to the 1V version of the Apple dongle.
I am also in the EU. I bought my A2049 on eBay for about 20€ with shipping and VAT.
Screenshot_20221128-161443_eBay.jpg

Mesh

I am also in the EU. I bought my A2049 on eBay for about 20€ with shipping and VAT.
View attachment 246501
I am a bit conservative with buying through eBay or Amazon, given how much fake stuff is sold in both places. I am sure it is largely myself worrying too much about hassle around refunds and such if things aren't what they should be. I could as someone that I know in the US to buy it and ship though. That is an option for sure. I'd hate to end up having problems with not getting 100% power out of them though, even if your earlier shared link showed how to get up to 90% at least.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I'd hate to end up having problems with not getting 100% power out of them though, even if your earlier shared link showed how to get up to 90% at least.
The 90% limit is due to the ROM, not the DAC. So I'll encounter it no matter which dongle I use. It can be bypassed with direct USB access audio players like UAPP, with all dongles.

Mesh

The 90% limit is due to the ROM, not the DAC. So I'll encounter it no matter which dongle I use. It can be bypassed with direct USB access audio players like UAPP, with all dongles.
Ah, roger that. Thanks.

mMUS

So... has anyone else let the magic smoke out of their dongle? Because I just did it...:facepalm:

1670377553132.jpg

I was paring it with my studio monitors and was trying to reduce the background hiss which I identified as a possible ground loop. So I decided to connect both monitors with a cheater plugs (no ground plugs anymore! yay...) and, sure enough, no more hissing!

Thing is, while testing I only had one speaker plugged in (the other one was off and with its audio cable unplugged). I pretty much always turn high power audio equipment off when plugging in cables to avoid loud pops, even if there is no risk of damaging them, but this time I forgot to turn off the damn monitor. So, just as I was plugging the other side I felt a shock (it's a big 10mm jack, my finger was probably touching the ground sleeve...) and my computer imediatly turned off. As I recovered from the shock (nothing major, but I felt a rumbling sensation, is that's AC current, right?) I realized everything had turned off. Uhh ohh, the breaker tripped!

Once I restored power and turned all the stuff back on, surprise... the dongle wasen't detected by the system. Re-inserting it didn't work. Fearing the worst I took it off the computer and saw the burn marks... yeah, R$90 down the drain :( (Electronic stuff is expensive here in Brazil, Apple stuff doubly so lol)

Question is, is this mostly my fault? Or is this dongle, due to it's diminutive size, lacking protection for this kind of stuff? After all, it was designed for low power headphones, not big powered speakers.

pioterd

If it is hard limited then how is that possible that when using as a dac 2v input 0dB gain = 0.5V +6dB gain?????? As far as I know it should be 2V input 0dB gain = 1V +6dB gain.
Problem solved. ZenCan 3.5mm linein input applies +6dB internal gain. Thats why the maximum input to 3.5mm ZenCan lineIn is 1.92V. So when I input EU 0.5V apple dongle through LineIn, its voltage is doubled internally, and at unity gain it behaves like 1V source which would be input through RCA (RCA doesn't have any internal gain, and the balanced input has internal 1/2 gain applied in ZenCan). It was explained on this forum in ZenCan review thread by its constructor, Mr Thorsten Loesch.

pioterd

And by the way, is there anything to worry about the quality in terms of noise/distortion when connecting such rather low voltage DAC (0.5V) do AMP like ZenCan? Let's say that applied total gain is +12dB (6dB internal and additional 6dB). Loss in terms of SINAD (around 3dB for each 6dB gain?)? But these are still probably inaudible levels so... can someone explain it in a simple way?

SuperDerpBro

Are these any good for use with a class d amp and speakers? I have one and want to use it with a Dell Wyse 3040 for a small Volumio setup. Would I be missing much compared to a lower end "real" DAC? rather not buy another DAC. Guess I could grab a D10s, but again rather not heh.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Are these any good for use with a class d amp and speakers? I have one and want to use it with a Dell Wyse 3040 for a small Volumio setup. Would I be missing much compared to a lower end "real" DAC? rather not buy another DAC. Guess I could grab a D10s, but again rather not heh.
Depends on the input sensitivity and gain in the amp and what volumes you need from the speakers out of it. The apple dongle is 1v max out (0.5v in Europe) whereas "proper" dacs are usually 2v.

SuperDerpBro

I'd actually prefer 1v as I find most DACs so loud that you can barely use the volume knob on amps.

I was more wondering about the "headphone-e-ness" aspects of the dongle making it not good, or even bad, for standard speakers.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd actually prefer 1v as I find most DACs so loud that you can barely use the volume knob on amps.

I was more wondering about the "headphone-e-ness" aspects of the dongle making it not good, or even bad, for standard speakers.
I'm not sure I understand what that means.

Top Bottom