• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Review: Apple vs Google USB-C Headphone Adapters

maramara

Is there any downside in using the EU version with the HiFiMAN Ananda on iPhoneXS?
In terms of distortion maybe or something like that...
Thank you :)

Dcd564

I bought one without hesitation for use with my 2018 MacBook Pro… but then was wondering how it compares against the MBP‘s built-in headphone out jack. Has this been measured?
I’m interested in this as well. Is there any benefit to using the dongle over the MacBook Pro’s built in headphone jack?

infinitesymphony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’m interested in this as well. Is there any benefit to using the dongle over the MacBook Pro’s built in headphone jack?
I would say, doubtful. There's probably a slightly better Cirrus Logic-based audio section in the MBP, and from what I understand, the MBP targets 2 Vrms output vs. the dongle's 1 Vrms, so it should offer more volume.

Got this dongle, US version.

During the first test when I crudely matched volume "by the ear" I liked it more than Dragonfly 1.2 (not surprising) and Grace Balanced DAC (highly surprising) with punchy and defined bass, detailed and natural timbre of acoustic instruments and so on.

The next day I matched the volume as good as I could using cheap noise meter and 1khz tone.

After that I wasn't able to spot these differences I've been "hearing" before, lol.

This, I would like to know, too. If both dongles use the same DAC/amplifier, viz. Cirrus Logic 46L06-CWZR (https://www.cabledo.com/apple-usb-c-digital-to-3-5-mm-headphone-adapter-teardown/), then the performance should be similar.

For information, the Google dongles use:
Is there any known differences with usb-c and lightning versions? I mean measured technical performance.
https://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/lightning-adapter-audio-quality.htm

@amirm

It would be very interesting if Amir could test the Apple Lightning to 3.5 mm Audio Jack Cable (A1879). This is a two-way ADC-DAC cable, intended recently to be used as ADC with the new Apple AirPods Max headphones.

“This bi-directional cable can be used with both 3.5mm audio-out and audio-in ports, allowing you to connect your AirPods Max or Beats Solo Pro headphones to 3.5mm audio sources, or to connect your iOS or iPadOS device to speakers with 3.5mm audio ports.“ (https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MXK22AM/A/lightning-to-35mm-audio-cable-12m-white)

The cable appears to be back ordered - shipping in 4-6 weeks - so, if someone has it already and could kindly loan it to Amir, it would be fantastic. Thanks!

Top Bottom