• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review: Apple vs Google USB-C Headphone Adapters

Degru

Strange...I'll try with my old S7 as well. Yeah I already cleared the defaults. As I said, under Audio Hardware in Neutron, next to DRV it says "AudioTrack (SYS) [USB]" with the Apple dongle attached. What exactly does it say say for you?
It says USB-DAC and some model number. AudioTrack indicates that it is still using the Android driver.

Siemenscc

Connecting your iphone to the amplifier via the lightening to phone-out adaptor, U will find a new world. It's not a kidding, JUST TRY IT

bobbooo

Major Contributor
It says USB-DAC and some model number. AudioTrack indicates that it is still using the Android driver.

Hmm sounds like Neutron doesn't work well specifically with the S10 then...

Edit: The problem is not isolated to the Apple dongle or the S10. I've tried another USB DAC with my Galaxy S7 (Exynos) running Android 8 and only the Android driver works in Neutron for that combo as well. Must be a bug in Neutron.

Edit 2: Activating 'Linear Scale' in Neutron under Direct USB Access > Volume Control seems to give full hardware volume control on my other USB DAC. Neutron still only ever uses the Android driver with the Apple dongle however, regardless of this setting.

Last edited:

Degru

Connecting your iphone to the amplifier via the lightening to phone-out adaptor, U will find a new world. It's not a kidding, JUST TRY IT
Having a portable amplifier is super useful, you have plenty of power on tap no matter what device you are using as a source, and you also do not have to deal with the stupid volume controls and their lack of steps especially in the upper ranges of the volume curve that are common on many smartphones

Siemenscc

Having a portable amplifier is super useful, you have plenty of power on tap no matter what device you are using as a source, and you also do not have to deal with the stupid volume controls and their lack of steps especially in the upper ranges of the volume curve that are common on many smartphones
I recommend using AC-supply amplifier and iphone at home. It is a good combination to listen if the budget is limited.....

jds112

Would it be possible to use the apple usb-c dongle as a dac with a desktop headphone amp? Say, a jds labs atom, for example?

Degru

Sorry but can you explain/map it step by step? I’m a noob when it comes to all this stuff.
Headphones -> 1 -> 2 -> 3 etc.
Nothing to explain. Connect the apple dongle to the amp with 3.5mm to rca cable to the RCA inputs on the back of the amp. Max out dongle volume, use knob on amp to control volume. It's as simple as can be. You can also get a USB A to USB C adapter to connect the dongle to computers that don't have USB c ports.

jds112

When plugged in to the mobo, the apple dongler wouldn't be considered 'realtek digital output', would it? If not, why doesn't plug-n-play work for this? I have it plugged into my usb-c and I am getting no sound.

Degru

When plugged in to the mobo, the apple dongler wouldn't be considered 'realtek digital output', would it? If not, why doesn't plug-n-play work for this? I have it plugged into my usb-c and I am getting no sound.
You need to plug the headphones into it first before plugging in USB or it doesn't get detected properly.

jds112

You need to plug the headphones into it first before plugging in USB or it doesn't get detected properly.

I did, still no sound. The green icon is moving next to realtek digital output in sound settings. Any other ideas?

Degru

Yep, green check with default device.
Try selecting dongle from the taskbar volume control if it's not already selected there. Also try restarting programs that are playing audio or your computer if it still refuses to switch properly.

jds112

Try selecting dongle from the taskbar volume control if it's not already selected there. Also try restarting programs that are playing audio or your computer if it still refuses to switch properly.
Restarted PC. When into playback devices and I don't see anything listed as dongle. Disabled everything other than realtek digital output [which is still default device] and still having the same issue.

Degru

Restarted PC. When into playback devices and I don't see anything listed as dongle. Disabled everything other than realtek digital output [which is still default device] and still having the same issue.
Unplug dongle and plug it back in. Make sure that the headphones/amp are plugged into it first before plugging it into the computer.

jds112

Anyone have any other suggestions? I don't even have my amp yet, it's being shipped.

Degru

Anyone have any other suggestions? I don't even have my amp yet, it's being shipped.
Try one of these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33023256761.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5ee44c4dyTfmY8
Amazon if you want it faster but more expensive: https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Basesailor-Compatible-Chargers-Standard/dp/B079LYHNSR/

I am using a similar thing that came with my hidizs/tempotec dongle to connect the apple dongle to my computers and it works perfectly.

EDIT: before you try that, have you tried the dongle with another operating system? Try booting up a Ubuntu live USB or something and see if it works there.

jds112

Try one of these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33023256761.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5ee44c4dyTfmY8
Amazon if you want it faster but more expensive: https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Basesailor-Compatible-Chargers-Standard/dp/B079LYHNSR/

I am using a similar thing that came with my hidizs/tempotec dongle to connect the apple dongle to my computers and it works perfectly.
Since my mobo only has one usb-c slot I am going to try it on a friend's computer to see if it's the dongle itself. I might even try reinstalling drivers although I dont think that's the issue as my mobo is seemingly working fine

edit: saw your edit, I will try that tonight. Thanks.

edit 2: the USB-c works, I have an inverted adapter from the one you recommended. I plugged a thumb drive in and that usb-c is working. Either my dongle was DOA or my sound configuration is messed up

Last edited:
Top Bottom