• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of ZorLoo ZuperDAC-S and SMSL IDEA Dac/AMPs

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I would be worried about loss of power/bass coming from NX4 DSD. Hard for me to judge what level you listen to. If you are US, perhaps get it from Amazon to test before committing to it.

slazyel

I would be worried about loss of power/bass coming from NX4 DSD. Hard for me to judge what level you listen to. If you are US, perhaps get it from Amazon to test before committing to it.
Hi Amir, thanks for your response. I'm from brazil so i'm limited to aliexpress to get good prices, sadly :/. Do you think the difference would be that big even for 32 ohms cans? I mean, the normal price difference is double, maybe the Idea would be better bang for the buck because of price? I trust what you say. I will use it 99% for desk use as i didnt found any good sub $100 dac/amp that would be much better than those two.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The NX4 DSD is more than 3 times more powerful than SMSL Idea. That is a large gap.

SMSL Idea is good for what it is but can't match the power of the NX4 DSD at all.

If you don't listen to music with much bass and/or at low volumes, then it may work. I just can't tell you that it will. :)

slazyel

The NX4 DSD is more than 3 times more powerful than SMSL Idea. That is a large gap.

SMSL Idea is good for what it is but can't match the power of the NX4 DSD at all.

If you don't listen to music with much bass and/or at low volumes, then it may work. I just can't tell you that it will. :)
It will be used more for gaming and rock/metal music. The nx4 is really powerfull, i use it at 30-50% volume level on low gain and can't go higher without hurting my ears with my cans :p.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Sorry to "revive" the post but i would like to know if the smsl idea would be enough to drive 32 ohms headphones as a desktop dac/amp. I currently have a NX4 DSD, it's great, but i just use 32 ohms headphones like Fidelio X2HR and Takstar Pro 82. I think i'm not using NX4 DSD in its full potencial, and probably never will, because i'm using it 100% for desktop use and with low impedance headphones. I've heard the SMSL Idea would be better sounding for my takstar pro 82 too but i don't know.

In short: I can buy SMSL Idea for $65 and sell my NX4 DSD (which is new) for $165 where i live (paid $122 in a promotion, so profit ^^). So, would i lose much with just 32 ohms headphones or the audio experience would be the same for less money? What do you think @amirm ?
NX4 DSD is overall much better than the SMSL Idea.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
I have both Zorloo ZuperDAC-S and Sabaj DA2 (SMSL Idea). [EDIT] I have changed my opinion based on more time and careful listening comparing both DACs. I used them with my Android mobile phone Samsung Galaxy S7. I used IEMs (FLC hybrid 8n) and headphones (Audio Technica MSR7) with 24 bit FLAC files in UAPP (USB Audio Player Pro). No other apps work with Sabaj DA2, I think due to its proprietary USB driver. HiBy app and Onkyo do not work with DA2 (buzzing sound). Tweaking the Samsung settings under advanced developer optiond is required (select option 'avoid/bypass USB sound output'). However, the Zorloo works with all music Android apps without problems and no settings modifications are required. The ZuperDAC-S has the best sound quality with both my IEMs and headphones. Output power is higher in the SMSL/Sabaj but the Zorloo has enough power to drive my MSR7.
However, soundstage is better in the Zorloo (sense of wide soundstage) mids (voices) are more powerful and clear in the Zorloo, and highs are more extended in the Zorloo. Bass is perhaps more impacful in the DA2 but with less resolution and speed than the Zorloo. I have ordered the Dragonfly Red because it has lower power consumption then both DACs. What do you think about it's SQ compared with SMSL/Sabaj DA2? I have seen only it's comparison with DF Black. Thanks.

I know this was a while ago, but do you know if the Sabaj DA2 works with Neutron Player on Android? (They have free trial if you could test it out.)

bobbooo

Major Contributor
I still have my two versions. I will retest it and post at some point.

Hi, great site and measurements resource, thanks so much for this. Did you get round to retesting the Speaks/XtremPro X1? I'd be very interested to see how it stacks up with your newer test rig.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi, great site and measurements resource, thanks so much for this. Did you get round to retesting the Speaks/XtremPro X1? I'd be very interested to see how it stacks up with your newer test rig.
I have not. Sorry. :) I have so much new gear to test that going back to old ones is impossible right now.

bobbooo

Major Contributor
I have not. Sorry. :) I have so much new gear to test that going back to old ones is impossible right now.

No problem! If you do get a chance sometime I'd really appreciate it. Would you say it's still one of the best options for a portable USB thumbdrive DAC for use with an Android phone?

isabido

Without having the UE Live IMEs to test I can't say for sure. I can tell you that the ZuperDAC-S is useless with my Etymotic ER4XR. There is not enough power and what there is gets distorted. The SMSL Idea in contrast, drives them fantastically.

I then pulled out my low impedance 16 ohm KZ ATE IEMs out which is closer to your 10 ohm load (Etymotic is 45 ohm). Same issue. There is no bass, nor enough volume. The sound as a result is quite bright. With SMSL Idea it sounds quite good. Excellent as a matter of fact.

So my strong recommendation is to avoid the ZuperDAC-S and get the SMSL Idea as I mentioned in the review. If you are in US, you can get it from Amazon so very easy to return if it doesn't satisfy.

How do you like the UE Live by the way? $2,200 is a lot of money for an IEM! :)

Hi Amirm, I currently use Iphone XS with lighting DAC apple on my Etymotic ER3SE.

It is a pity that Apple's DAC lighting is not as good as USB-C.

What would you recommend to handle my fabulous etymotic? DAC lighting? BT as Shaling UP2?

I'm a bit lost checking all your reviews.

Thanks for advancing.

half_dog

Just reporting... My SMSL Idea died after 1 yr and 2 months. It started to heat up a lot and after a while a click sound showed up with the LED changed to purple - this happend a few times (5 at most). The last time he stopped completely. The LED flashed blue several times and the device was no longer recognized.

Top Bottom