• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Yulong DA10 DAC & Amp

peterq

off topic question here, sorry

do they talk about Kinki-Studio DAC-1 at erji, thanks

it's been on my short list of imightgetitwithoutknowingmuchaboutit...
https://www.kinki-studio.com/dac-1

GOODBYE NOISE, WELCOME DARKNESS
The two UK-made AMPLIMO transformers are encapsulated in the CNC-machined aluminum block, it's extremely rare to see such design at this price point. The DAC main board is enclosed with 8mm thick of anodized aluminum ‘wall’, effectively eliminate the nasty EMI/EMC induced from the surrounding equipment.
S/N Ratio: 116db
Dynamic Range: 122dbA
THDN%: 0.008% @ 2Vrms
Frequency Response: 3-150KHz (0-3db)

[/offtopic]

Yes, it's a clone of Goldmund dac-1
http://www.erji.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2078961, Chinese name is "精彩"

GeekyBastard

Glad to see Yulong's product performed alright, so many people in China bashing Yulong's product being "too analytical", guess that's just some other manufacture's "propaganda".

Dongulus

I have not looked under the hood of an audio DAC before, but the FPGA strikes me as unusual. It seems overkill for likely not much more than interfacing with the XMOS chip, performing DSP, and pushing samples out to the DAC.

Veri

Master Contributor
I have not looked under the hood of an audio DAC before, but the FPGA strikes me as unusual. It seems overkill for likely not much more than interfacing with the XMOS chip, performing DSP, and pushing samples out to the DAC.
Do you mean the Altera CYCLONE chip? They are quite popular in high-end devices to perform reclocking etc.

newmedia

I have DA8II and DA200 used in 2 separate rooms. I bought them used couple years ago. I been happy digital music user with these units.

biosquid2

Anyone experience audio dropouts or audio sometimes not playing at all for videos/films when connecting to the DA10 via AES/coax/Toslink? The USB input works flawlessly, but I'm experiencing these bizarre issues with all of the DAC's SPDIF inputs across multiple PCs. It's a shame there have been no reviews or tests done with SPDIF as input from a computer, especially AES.

biosquid2

Unfortunately, my standalone players have all been pawned off; I just rip DVD/BD to a server and play from there. Still, the DA10 is the only DAC I've encountered that drops audio from an SPDIF interface when watching certain YouTube videos or audio tracks from BDs. I've tried several other DDCs on an older Yulong D18 and even older Nuforce DAC without issues. The dropouts occur on both a Windows 7 x64 and Windows 10 x64 system. Is there anyone who owns a DA10 w/ a standalone XMOS interface that can test a sample stream?

biosquid2

Great! If you have difficulty finding films in your library to reproduce the issue, I can provide URLs to YouTube videos that have proven problematic for the DA10 over SPDIF.

biosquid2

Just curious, what interface you're using?

Here's a recent video I found that triggers the problem, virtually no audio plays:

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here's a recent video I found that triggers the problem, virtually no audio plays:
It works perfectly.

Can you go into Sound Control Panel, click on your S/PDIF interface, select Advanced and tell me what format is selected as the default?

biosquid2

Make sure you have nothing but the video playing audio, as I have found I can force audio to play properly without dropouts when I have music playing in the background added into the Windows mixer to keep the SPDIF signal locked and active.

I have directsound set to 48khz. Also, are you using coax, AES or Toslink?

Top Bottom